Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #2956
fbabroff
Fbabroff

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
I'm looking at a used 2010 Multi with Termi's, out of state. The bike has only 2,100 miles on it. The suspicious side of me wonders how such a great bike could only have 2,000 miles in 2 years and why it would be traded in so quickly.

Are you guys seeing any issues with these bikes after the Termi's are installed that I should watch out for ? Any other issue I should be concerned with ?

Thanks.

I got mine in last decemeber and it is a 2010 when I got it only had 1000 miles, the guys did not like it that much and he travel a lot, so I was not concerned. I have friends that put 2000 miles in year in a bike. Some people do not ride as much as us...

Bike is a great bike, rear brakes SUCKS!!!

Good luck.
2007 BMW 1200GS Adventure - Sold
02 BMW Dakar Sold / 06 Ducati Monster - Sold / 98 Ninja ZX6R - Sold / 89 YZ125 - Sold
fbabroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:21 PM   #2957
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 421
340 miles in...stupid work taking up all my riding time.
I am absolutely in love. Mounted up the top box bracket tonight. Still need to run a 12 volt to the dash so I can run my GPS and radar detector and a phone charger (iPhone I use for music and streaming Pandora when the data service is available).
Got my GoPro mounts all mounted up but I want to add one more...guess it is time to order the "bag o mounts" from them.

This bike is far and away the best bike I have owned. Of course it is also the most "hmmm...let's see what is down this road" bike I have ever owned too. Hehe.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #2958
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman View Post
Thanx, been debating between the 180 and 190 rear myself.

Did you stick to factory settings after you put on the Dunlops or what settings did you change (DTC, ABS, etc.)?

I presume 31F/34R pressure you mention is for tarmac. What would you typically reduce that to, if at all, on a gravel road - i.e. not sand, mud or silt offroad trails but never-ending gravel roads of variable depth, compaction and water content?...

I leave the pressures at 31/34 and don't adjust them down for dirt. You seem to already know this, but this set up sucks in sand, but is great on dry hard pack dirt and not too deep gravel. The only changes I made to the settings was to up the traction control in the sport setting, an acknowledgment that this tire isn't the stickiest.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #2959
Tillerman
DucDude

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbabroff View Post
I got mine in last decemeber and it is a 2010 when I got it only had 1000 miles, the guys did not like it that much and he travel a lot, so I was not concerned. I have friends that put 2000 miles in year in a bike. Some people do not ride as much as us...

Bike is a great bike, rear brakes SUCKS!!!

Good luck.
Mine is a 2011 and the rear brake pedal also went low and mushy after about 2500 miles (4000 km) and the brake fluid had turned black. I stopped at a Ducati dealer in NH on my way to the New England coast and asked them to look at it. Surprisingly they said it was simply air in the system and they offered to bleed it. I declined and instead rode on and waited for my return home to see my dealer about it who confirmed what others have posted here: that there's a defect in the original rear brake master cylinder/piston and it should be replaced under the warranty.

Otherwise you're right, she's an awesome ride

Tillerman screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 08:12 AM
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #2960
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
Any bike with low air pressure and flat center tyres will do that. Increase the tyre air pressure and replace this tyre and your problem will disappear.
I was running 36/36 f/r on the bike/tire in question, so it wasn't due to low pressure. Once I finally wore the tires out, I got a set that didn't have a sipe down the center of the tire and that solved the problem.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #2961
Tillerman
DucDude

Oddometer: 30
Those keys!!!... don't lock them up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
Yup, I've done it many times already. Thats the ECU telling you "dummy take the key out of the seat lock before it falls onto the pavement on your way home and is lost forever.
Yup, I've had that "dummy" message a number of times too. This 21st century key concept scared me from day-one cuz I'm always "misplacing" keys and when I asked them what it would cost to replace it, the dealer told me "DON'T LOOSE IT!" because if it could possibly cost over a $1,000 if we have to replace the whole electronics of the ignition?...

The worst experience (so far) with this retched key was during the first week I had the bike when I had the 1st flat rear tire. Its nightfall, I'm low on gas and on a dirt backroad out in the sticks with no cellphone coverage, about 30 min. from a service station and 45 min. from home.

I used the repair kit under the passenger seat to fix the flat and when I was done I put the tools away and seats back on, fired her up and off I went. Twenty minutes later, riding along and heading home, I'm wondering about the key and can't feel it in the pants pocket where I usually put it. I stop by the road and turn the engine off to look for it. Can't find it anywhere on me and also just remember I left the spare red (dead) key back home in my other jacket.

I figure either I dropped the black (live) key back where I fixed the flat or it "just happened" to get locked-in with the tools. I hold my breath while pushing the starter button because if the black key isn't under the seat she won't start and I'm not sure about the secret bypass code?... Pheeuw! she fires up, so the key is locked-in under the seat! But I'm thinking: "Now, if only I can get back home on what's left in the tank because I can't even open it..."

Tillerman screwed with this post 03-30-2012 at 07:44 PM
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM   #2962
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 195
pay up boy!

Dudes just plunked down all my money for a 2012 touring! Dealer found an unsold one in NYC that he traded a few of his stock for and I will get it early this week. Kid a Christmas! I'm all giggly!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #2963
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubulchain View Post
Dudes just plunked down all my money for a 2012 touring! Dealer found an unsold one in NYC that he traded a few of his stock for and I will get it early this week. Kid a Christmas! I'm all giggly!
Congrats!

I fear for your driving license however....

-SM
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #2964
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 195
Already retained a defense attorney!
Old 03-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #2965
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
I just picked up a white 2010 MTS S Touring today. 4100 miles. Original tires are still round. Showroom condition w/ top box & Termi & more extras. It was raining pretty hard today so just a short scoot up the road. Tomorrow should be a good day for a real shake down ride.

I'm very excited & lucky to get it.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:25 AM   #2966
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Pig View Post
I bought mine with 800 miles and a full Termi. Fueling was bad before update, now its OK but will not hang out at 2.5k like some suggest. I had FatDucs on it before but took them off, I'm thinking I will put them back on again to clean up the low end again. It just smelled like it was so rich with them and the Termis on it.
Because it probably was (is my guess). The Termi system runs closed loop down low but my guess is that the ECU (and one of the maps for one of the gears) helps improve the fueling (more rich), and the addition of Fat Ducs (only help fueling down low) added more richness to the mix inside of 4k rpm.

Running an open loop and dyno tuned power commander + auto tune unit is what I'd like to hear more about but I don't think a dual channel auto tune can be run on certain header kits (due to space restrictions related to the bungs). But when I think more about it (and the expense associated with it) I become more happy with how my stock set up runs with a pair of Fat Ducs plugged in.

oalvarez screwed with this post 04-01-2012 at 07:36 AM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #2967
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
I just picked up a white 2010 MTS S Touring today. 4100 miles. Original tires are still round. Showroom condition w/ top box & Termi & more extras. It was raining pretty hard today so just a short scoot up the road. Tomorrow should be a good day for a real shake down ride.

I'm very excited & lucky to get it.
Nice find Ace!

It always amazes me that people buy and heavily farkle a bike then sell it with only a few k's on the clock. Bad for them, but good for you!

Check back in after your first real date and let us know how she runs.

-SM
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #2968
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Did the dealer change your fork oil at the 15K mile service?

All you MTS1200S owners...did the dealer change your fork oil at the 15K mile service?

My service manual says it SHOULD be changed (which is reasonable).

My dealer's service manager says, "no, it's changed every 36 months (no mileage criterion)", which is UNreasonable. By 36 months I'll have 70,000 niles on the bike!

So...those of you that have had the 15K mile service performed by a dealer: did they change the fork oil?

Thanks very much for any info. I've typically changed fork oil every 10K miles on the Showa forks on my '92 900SS and '06 Uly.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #2969
BACON BOY
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Fork oil

Dealer changed my fork oil @ 15,000 miles.
BACON BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #2970
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Check back in after your first real date and let us know how she runs.

-SM
In a word, fabulous! Here are my impressions.

Took the new Duc out for its maiden voyage under new ownership. ~160 miles.

First of all the thing deserves a much better pilot than me. It is amazing. It leaps out of corners in sport & touring modes. Gentler in urban & enduro. Gas it in a straightaway and you better be holding on 'cause the power is on right now & keeps on coming.

I rode it on some of my favorite routes. A couple tight & twisty, one w/ uphill sweepers, coast highway, and a short drone down the highway to get to them. It's ready for any of those. No gravel today.

The adjustable suspension is pretty cool. In touring mode, the rebound damping is not right for a real bumpy corner. Urban mode was better for that. It's so easy to change the settings on the fly that it doesn't really matter if one setting is not right, just switch it to something else until you hit on the right one. After a while, it'll be easier to pick the right one w/o having to try them all out.

It was a gorgeous day. A little cool and windy, but clear.

The speedo is a bit happy. The manual says its 8% fast by design. Not sure why that is, but it would be is pretty easy to go way fast w/o realizing it.

The motor vibrates some. Sort of between the 1150 & the 1200. The mirrors shake a lot, but are fairly good if you put your thumb on the edge. Not really able to determine the fact nature of vehicles a ways back, but I would guess that it would be easy to know if the car behind you had its emergency lights on wanting you to pull over, if you know what I mean.

Fuel consumption is a bit high, but it does have the Termi exhaust & corresponding ECU and it makes a bunch of HP. No free rides, I guess. ~38mpg. Runs richer than Termi stock w/ custom mapping by some race mechanic guy that the previous owner knew. No stumbling off idle. A little burbling in lower mid range on steady throttle, but nothing irritating. The power is amazing. It just pulls and pulls. Passing is a breeze w/ acceleration that'll cause your eyeballs to go out of round. What a hoot!

Here are some pics from today.

I would buy this bike again in a minute. I'm anticipating a long love affair.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote