Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 06:09 PM   #3016
jackisme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
So I think my next 2 investments are going to be the MRA Touring screen and Motech crash bars.
I already ordered the bag liners and have a tank bag on the way. I also have a fuse box I need to wire in along with a few weatherproof 12v power outlets. I am going to wire my radar detector in permanently (actually use it less for radar detection and more for the emergency alerts it provides. I also have my GPS that I will be mounting up...less for direction and navigation and more for the information services it provides.

I am also selling off my high end desktop replacement laptop and replacing it with an ultrabook for travel. I am considering running 12v to my top box for the laptop charger as well. Although, some of these small solar kits seem rather appealing too...

Got some plans for this beast. Looking forward to travelling as much as possible and maybe some day being able to travel most of the time...
ZLTFUl,

I'm curious, what tipped the scales towards the SW-Motech crash bars? If memory serves, those bars have a forward mount that uses the radiator mount. And it would seem to me that a tip-over with those guards could complicate damage to include radiator-related damage. I haven't pushed the button yet, but am leaning towards the DP guard which avoids anything to do with the radiator.

FWIW, I just installed the Navihalter GPS mount and am very happy with the results. It places the GPS above the instrument cluster and nicely within your riding scan. For me, it works much better than waiting for my 46-yr old eyes to change their focus.

Looking forward to hearing how your future mods coming along.

Cheers
jackisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:32 AM   #3017
csimon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
The SW Motech Crash bars are just like the DP crash bars and do not connect to the radiator - that is the Alt Rider brand. I have the SW Motech Crash bars...love them except the weight these bars add to the front end.
csimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:12 AM   #3018
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon View Post
The SW Motech Crash bars are just like the DP crash bars and do not connect to the radiator - that is the Alt Rider brand. I have the SW Motech Crash bars...love them except the weight these bars add to the front end.
Do you think they would help offset the weight added in the back by a top box/bags and help make the front "stick" a bit better?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #3019
jackisme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by csimon View Post
Copy, thanks Csimon. Of course, that leads me to update my question - Why SW-Mo vs DP?
jackisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #3020
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackisme View Post
Copy, thanks Csimon. Of course, that leads me to update my question - Why SW-Mo vs DP?
The DP guards don't fit the 2010 or early 2011 MTS12s due to a change in the frame. Stupid of DP to make a guard that doesn't fit all of their bikes IMO....

-SM
Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM   #3021
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackisme View Post
For me, the choice came down to price. I can get the Motechs for half the price of the DP bars.
As for the extra front end weight, with full bags, I am totally cool with something forward to offset that a bit hehe.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #3022
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
The DP guards don't fit the 2010 or early 2011 MTS12s due to a change in the frame. Stupid of DP to make a guard that doesn't fit all of their bikes IMO....

-SM

Tell me about it...I got a set of DP bars (long story how I got them) that have never been used and wont fit my 2010 bike.

If there is anyone out there that has a set of SW-Mo bars and wants to trade for a DP set, let me know.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #3023
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,430
My advice is to dump all of the stuff you've got on the bike and either return it to stock and have the latest ECU update done, or buy the full Termignoni system and do the appropriate race ECU update. My '11 has the full Termi and the fueling is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK7 View Post
I'm still having trouble getting my 2010 MTS to run right in the 2k to 4K range.

I've installed a D&D can with the MIVV cat eliminator pipe and a Bazzaz FI unit. I was able to get the mapping from another guy on the forums that he set up on his with an Akro system and got it close but still not quite right.

My question is does anyone know of a place where we can share maps for the Bazzaz units or have one they can shoot me in an email or download somewhere?

I've heard mixed reviews on the self mapping unit that Bazzaz sells so I'm hesitant to buy one just yet but would really like to try some other maps.

I've heard of the Fat Ducs but I think the Bazzaz unit does the same thing as them while allowing you to tune the maps.

Does anyone have any tips or info on this bike with the Bazzaz?
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #3024
Johnjan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
My advice is to dump all of the stuff you've got on the bike and either return it to stock and have the latest ECU update done, or buy the full Termignoni system and do the appropriate race ECU update. My '11 has the full Termi and the fueling is perfect.
Interesting response and I'm new to the forum - I have an '11 MTS with the full Termi system, installed by the original dealer, and my bike runs like crap in that RPM range as well. The dealers response was "don't ride below 4000RPM" I'm not going back to that dealer and I'll be looking for more productive solutions very soon.
Johnjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #3025
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 173
I dropped ny Multi in the snow this morning. The combination of Altrider guards and Barkbusters were worth their weight for sure. It slammed right down where the mirror and brake lever would have been. The only damage (and I really wouldn't count it) is a scratch on the barkbuster. I love it when stuff works as it should.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #3026
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I ended up with the Altrider bars too. They are ok, but spendy, and I don't want to try them too much. . Just not many options for 2010s...

Barkbusters are awesome. Best farkle I have added.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #3027
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,226
Add a pair of fatducs

And your bike will run like butter. Have the same set up as you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjan View Post
Interesting response and I'm new to the forum - I have an '11 MTS with the full Termi system, installed by the original dealer, and my bike runs like crap in that RPM range as well. The dealers response was "don't ride below 4000RPM" I'm not going back to that dealer and I'll be looking for more productive solutions very soon.
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #3028
fudgypup
Banned

Oddometer: 2,199
I work with a guy who just test rode a DMS 1200 and said it was the fastest thing he's ever ridden. I said he took it out onto PCH and in 2nd gear simply rolled on the throttle smoothly and wondered why his perspective was changing and why he felt he needed to more forward so much. It turns out he was lofting the front wheel!

He's been riding for 20 years and currently has an '01 BMW 1200 RT.

He plays squash with this other guy and he was telling him about his experience. The guy said he had a deposit on one a year ago but backed out. Now he's going to go back and get the DMS 1200 based on what he heard from my buddy.

Beautiful bike but I don't know anyone who's really taken the thing on any serious off road stuff.
fudgypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #3029
martys
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
... Beautiful bike but I don't know anyone who's really taken the thing on any serious off road stuff.
that's because it's not a serious off road bike. I've put over 22,000 miles on mine and while some folks have gone through unpaved forest roads, it's primarily a pavement loving machine with occasional dirt road capability. So if you primarily ride paved roads and enjoy a few miles on dirt or gravel, the multi is a fabulous machine. If you yearn to ventures into the wilderness for days at a time, there are better choices.

This works -

This is much better -

Old 05-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #3030
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudgypup View Post
I work with a guy who just test rode a DMS 1200 and said it was the fastest thing he's ever ridden. I said he took it out onto PCH and in 2nd gear simply rolled on the throttle smoothly and wondered why his perspective was changing and why he felt he needed to more forward so much. It turns out he was lofting the front wheel!

He's been riding for 20 years and currently has an '01 BMW 1200 RT.

He plays squash with this other guy and he was telling him about his experience. The guy said he had a deposit on one a year ago but backed out. Now he's going to go back and get the DMS 1200 based on what he heard from my buddy.

Beautiful bike but I don't know anyone who's really taken the thing on any serious off road stuff.
There are a few folks who have gone truly off-road with their MTS12's:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=40

The bike is capable. The question is, are you?

And FWIW, it will loft the front wheel in gears 1-3 easily, so if you whack the throttle open in Sport mode in those gears, you better have your weight forward!

-SM