User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #3046
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Multi vs GS... Read on

Oalvarez / Sock Monkey - thanks for the input. Greatly appreciate it. I will look into the Ducati comfort seat option on the touring bike (I heard you can request the comfort seat in place of the standard seat at time of purchase). Will also consider either an airhawk or alaska leather sheep skin cover for the seat. I've had the sheepskin on my bikes in the past and it helps a bit.

I rode a GS for 5 years and put quite a few miles on it. Then, my back decided to go down hill on me. So, I haven't ridden in about 18 months and sold the GS almost exactly one year ago. Probably should have just kept it but was afraid I'd ride it. I'm mentally retarded that way... can't have a bike in the garage or I'll ride it.

Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #3047
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,545
I bought the enduro seat. It was a lot higher than the Rocky seat that the previous owner had on it. The new seat is pretty darned hard.

Sorta like the difference btwn the stock KTM seat I had on the XSC & the KTM comfort seat. That was proof positive the the word "comfort" is a relative term.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #3048
mag00
Outa Control Dave

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpittmx View Post
Any tire mfgs making knobbies for the MTS yet?
Yes TKC 80's are out in MTS sizes.
09 R1200GSA
IBA #25226
mag00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #3049
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
SM,
Weight: A friend has a commercial scale, and we weighed a GSA, with 3 stock bags, TT tankbag and crashbar bags... all empty, and a full gas tank. are you ready? ....680 pounds!!
The MTS with 3 bags (large lids), TT tankbag all empty, and a full gas tank...540 pounds!
Of note Shoria batteries in both so about a 10 pound savings each.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #3050
cpittmx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00 View Post
Yes TKC 80's are out in MTS sizes.

Great, thanks for the info. I'm a little worried that the front and rear fenders are a little close and would lock the tires in the right type of mud.
cpittmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #3051
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Known & Expected Issues/Problems w/the MTS?

I'm still lurking around and trying to figure out what's going to be a better ride for me - GS or Multi S Touring (mostly based on having a back that is very picky as to what bike it rides on...). I've owned a GS so I know the potential problems, issues, etc. Can anyone shine some light on what I can expect as far as known issues and problems with the Multi? What are the common repair items, early maintenance items, etc? The GS drinks oil like a drunk sailor and will on occasion self destruct a shaft drive; the bmw side cases are not so well anchored to the bike but don't leak... and the Multi?

Thanks in advance for the guidance! And nice work to the poster who actually weighed both a GSA and a Multi with bags and full tank. I'm comparing to the GS which is about 65 to 70 pounds lighter than the GSA but still substantially heavier than the Multi.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #3052
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcf View Post
I'm still lurking around and trying to figure out what's going to be a better ride for me - GS or Multi S Touring (mostly based on having a back that is very picky as to what bike it rides on...). I've owned a GS so I know the potential problems, issues, etc. Can anyone shine some light on what I can expect as far as known issues and problems with the Multi? What are the common repair items, early maintenance items, etc? The GS drinks oil like a drunk sailor and will on occasion self destruct a shaft drive; the bmw side cases are not so well anchored to the bike but don't leak... and the Multi?

Thanks in advance for the guidance! And nice work to the poster who actually weighed both a GSA and a Multi with bags and full tank. I'm comparing to the GS which is about 65 to 70 pounds lighter than the GSA but still substantially heavier than the Multi.
The MTS12 runs the range from perfect (mine) to electrical nightmares (thankfully NOT mine!). Depending on your dealer, these latter issues can take from a few days to a few weeks to resolve. As far as "common" issues go, check out the Multistrada forum on ducati.ms. It's pretty active and you can get a good sense for what people are complaining about. Fueling was one (but is now pretty much sorted with the most current maps), mushy rear brake was another (fixed via free service update), and another is DES errors (electronic suspension, covered by Ducati warranty....replacement parts seem to cure this one also, leading one to believe Ohlins didn't quite have the electronics nailed down early on). Some folks also complained of missing shifts, but the jury is still out if that's due to poor shifting technique, poor maintenance (letting the oil go too long before changing), or sun spots.

As for maintenance, first service is at 600 miles, then oil/filter at 7500 miles (do yourself a favor and change the oil in between every scheduled oil change), and valve inspect every 15,000 miles. Lube the chain if you're doing a bunch of off-roading or spending a lot of time in the wet, and just ride it. 11,000 miles and I've not even added a teaspoon of oil. I just put gas in it and GOOOOO!!!!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #3053
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcf View Post
I've owned a GS so I know the potential problems, issues, etc. Can anyone shine some light on what I can expect as far as known issues and problems with the Multi? What are the common repair items, early maintenance items, etc? The GS drinks oil like a drunk sailor and will on occasion self destruct a shaft drive; the bmw side cases are not so well anchored to the bike but don't leak... and the Multi?
you're asking the right questions.

while there are many potential problems that might arise, i don't believe there are any "common" repair items up to now with the exception of the rear brake (which has been addressed, whether to your liking or not is another matter) and the rear spring (only one other "heavier" spring available currently). many owner's bikes experience fueling issues between 2.5k-4.5k rpm (hesitation/searching/lean condition). the fuel gauges aren't the most accurate but they seem to work for the most part. if you're buying an older bike, make sure that the ECU has been re-flashed with the latest updates and that the panniers were retrofitted with the newer latches (were prone to leaks, opening, etc). maintenance is 600mi (minor) then 7k, and then belts? at 15k. the list of potential more major problems might include but aren't limited to,

-blown ecu related to the DES
-head gaskets giving way (higher mileage bikes)
-non-communication with key fob
-steering lock remaining locked
-front fork "clank" (fixed with a shim kit)
-expanding fuel tank

all fixable of course.....the fuel tank issue you can read up on here or over at Ducati.ms.

best success,

oalvarez screwed with this post 05-07-2012 at 04:09 PM
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #3054
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,436
Yes, but the 19" front wheel makes makes the BMW so much better off-road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
SM,
Weight: A friend has a commercial scale, and we weighed a GSA, with 3 stock bags, TT tankbag and crashbar bags... all empty, and a full gas tank. are you ready? ....680 pounds!!
The MTS with 3 bags (large lids), TT tankbag all empty, and a full gas tank...540 pounds!
Of note Shoria batteries in both so about a 10 pound savings each.
Allen.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #3055
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman View Post
I get tailbone pain after a few hours on the Multistrada which first reminded me of this 2010 MTS review
"...Rider accommodations are generous in the vertical dimension, (but) it becomes clear that tall riders may wish for more wriggle room between the stepped seat and that tapered-steel handlebar. The ensuing riding position focuses body weight on a point directly below your tailbone..."

I feel its the vertical riding position (taken here) that causes my pain on the MTS since I didn't have it on my Yamaha FJR1300:

The 9° forward leaning angle and the extra bit of room to slide backwards on the FJR seem to make it a lot easier on the coccyx...

Anyone know of an aftermarket seat for the MTS1200 that extends to the rear and replaces both rider and pillion seat?
I am this dilemma......FJR or MS?? I had a FJR a few years back and loved it. Now that my commute has almost doubled, I want to go back to a sport touring type bike. I love the new MS but not sure I want to inherit the problems that may arrise on it. I know the FJR is like a sewing machine compared to the MS. But I also know that the MS would probably put smiles on my face....daily. I absolutely love the Hyper but not for long distances. It, too, puts smiles on my face as well.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3056
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpittmx View Post
Great, thanks for the info. I'm a little worried that the front and rear fenders are a little close and would lock the tires in the right type of mud.
Actually, they're not available yet. I got an email from Conti a couple weeks ago saying they'll be out "mid-summer" in the US. Not sure if that matches their release date in other parts of the world.

Re. mud, yup, heavy sticky mud will raise hell with the front fender, but that's the least of your worries. If you really want to be paranoid, worry about a rock getting jammed between the tire and fender and either causing a crash (check out chitown's wreck on his BMW F800GS that he caught with his helmet cam due to this ) or taking out your front brake by ripping out your crossover hydro line. Fun stuff!!!! BTW, all of those ugly scenarios can be avoided by raising the front fender via a DIY fender lift AND replacing the crossover with 2 independent lines that join up by the steering head or at the lever. Mud will fear you and flee as you approach with your 6" wide trenching tool!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:11 AM   #3057
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
When considering the MTS 1200 and it's potential problems I agree with SockMonkey and Oalvarez. For the most part the nailed the more common problems discussed, fuel tank expansion and nuts spinning, weak rear brake, low RPM fueling and for the S or Touring editions the Ohlins suspension problems.

Personally I think this last item, Ohlins servos or ECU suspension problems are the chink in the MTS1200 armor. I say this as a forward warning - years down the road. While under warranty besides the hassle associated with the bike being in the shop, these problems are easily fixed. However once the warranty expires I believe alot of S or touring owners are going to feel the expensive sting of fixing their suspension. One owner said the warranty repair cost was $6k. Imagine paying that just to get your suspension fixed?

I think Ducati no longer offers their own extended warranty "ever red" or that it doesn't cover electronic suspension components. Someone with more knowledge can chime in here.

For those MTS owners on both ADV and ducati.ms I sound like a broken record, but just want to point out a potential hidden cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete debby downer about this bike.

I've had my MTS for almost 2 yrs now. I have more than 17k miles and I absolutely love it. To make the bike 100% perfect Ducati would have to fix the root cause of the fuel tank nut spinning problems. The rear brake fix worked for me. I would buy this bike again in a heart beat, just not the S or touring models. The engine and upright seating position are the best qualities of this machine.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #3058
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,533
I do remember seeing a post where someone had checked out the costs of the Ohlins servos that adjusted the suspension. He said they were surprisingly reasonable - in the low hundreds each.

The difficulty seems to be more in the diagnosis and the availability of parts, plus the question whether the problem is in the ECU and which one.

$6K would surely get you a complete Ohlins fork and shock, and the ECUs don't have to be costly - we can even hope they will get cheaper over time, like most computer hardware has. So there is no in-principle reason why the DES must be a financial disaster in waiting.

However, if the workshop can't work out what's wrong, and/or can't get individual bits, and so has to replace the lot, then yes, it will be a big bill.

Time will tell, but I am cautiously optimistic. Tho not yet a buyer, and yes, wary as well.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #3059
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
When considering the MTS 1200 and it's potential problems I agree with SockMonkey and Oalvarez. For the most part the nailed the more common problems discussed, fuel tank expansion and nuts spinning, weak rear brake, low RPM fueling and for the S or Touring editions the Ohlins suspension problems.

Personally I think this last item, Ohlins servos or ECU suspension problems are the chink in the MTS1200 armor. I say this as a forward warning - years down the road. While under warranty besides the hassle associated with the bike being in the shop, these problems are easily fixed. However once the warranty expires I believe alot of S or touring owners are going to feel the expensive sting of fixing their suspension. One owner said the warranty repair cost was $6k. Imagine paying that just to get your suspension fixed?

I think Ducati no longer offers their own extended warranty "ever red" or that it doesn't cover electronic suspension components. Someone with more knowledge can chime in here.

For those MTS owners on both ADV and ducati.ms I sound like a broken record, but just want to point out a potential hidden cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete debby downer about this bike.

I've had my MTS for almost 2 yrs now. I have more than 17k miles and I absolutely love it. To make the bike 100% perfect Ducati would have to fix the root cause of the fuel tank nut spinning problems. The rear brake fix worked for me. I would buy this bike again in a heart beat, just not the S or touring models. The engine and upright seating position are the best qualities of this machine.
Tks for the suspension opinion, NMEXPAT, you addressed the issue/ decision I am struggling with, especially with a standard MTS being a few thousand dollars cheaper...
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 AM   #3060
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Tks for the suspension opinion, NMEXPAT, you addressed the issue/ decision I am struggling with, especially with a standard MTS being a few thousand dollars cheaper...
i found the real benefit with the fancy suspension was being able to bomb around by myself then pick up my girl at work and flip it to 2up mode and just go.. also the touring model came with the bags so that was 1/2 the upgrade cost right there.

I love my Multi it handles great nimble as hell and i can do 10 mph all day then whip up to full highway speed in a breath. i haven't had the issues that people have complained about, oil changes every 4000 and gas and go. zoom...

yes i am selling her.. but only cause i now live alone and can't afford the payments.

Iron Dingo screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 07:00 AM Reason: can't spell :-P
Iron Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote