Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #3061
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
I'm considering the Multi and the Explorer for my next purchase, and I'm leaning toward the multi...I've chatted with Sock Monkey and Say It Aint So about their machines, great wisdom from these guys, and I understand that these are great machines, but is it better to get a Multi without the Ohlin setup and if so, is that just the standard model?

I assume the standard model has the same 4 riding modes, but w/o the Ohlin suspension...guess I need to spend time at the ducati multistrada website....
TIGERRIDER007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #3062
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
When considering the MTS 1200 and it's potential problems I agree with SockMonkey and Oalvarez. For the most part the nailed the more common problems discussed, fuel tank expansion and nuts spinning, weak rear brake, low RPM fueling and for the S or Touring editions the Ohlins suspension problems.

Personally I think this last item, Ohlins servos or ECU suspension problems are the chink in the MTS1200 armor. I say this as a forward warning - years down the road. While under warranty besides the hassle associated with the bike being in the shop, these problems are easily fixed. However once the warranty expires I believe alot of S or touring owners are going to feel the expensive sting of fixing their suspension. One owner said the warranty repair cost was $6k. Imagine paying that just to get your suspension fixed?

I think Ducati no longer offers their own extended warranty "ever red" or that it doesn't cover electronic suspension components. Someone with more knowledge can chime in here.

For those MTS owners on both ADV and ducati.ms I sound like a broken record, but just want to point out a potential hidden cost.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a complete debby downer about this bike.

I've had my MTS for almost 2 yrs now. I have more than 17k miles and I absolutely love it. To make the bike 100% perfect Ducati would have to fix the root cause of the fuel tank nut spinning problems. The rear brake fix worked for me. I would buy this bike again in a heart beat, just not the S or touring models. The engine and upright seating position are the best qualities of this machine.
All valid points. Here's a few more bits:

- The EverRed warranty is no longer available, but other warranties that cover everything that it covered ARE available, and for less money. The only advantage to the EverRed is it is "plug and play" with all Ducati dealerships. Since it was backed directly by the factory, there's never a question re. what the dealer will/won't get reimbursed for.

- Re. the Ohlins and DES, it's my understanding that folks who have the latest and greatest from Ohlins (parts shipping late 2011 through today) are seeing no issues with them, indicating it took Ohlins a while to figure out their fancy suspenders but finally have the recipe right. I have a 2010 S model bought new in Feb 2011 w/ 11,000 miles on it now, and knock on wood, no issues so far. I DO have the EverRed warranty that covers the whole bike for an additional 3 years, so I'm set until Feb 2016. By then, given my bike whoring history, I'll be 2 bikes down the road, LOL.

FWIW, that last point is interesting because I've found that Ducati is continually improving the components on their bikes over time. For example, I bought a "1st generation" hands free gas cap that failed and damn near left me stranded because I couldn't get it open to put gas in the tank! I returned it and got my money back. Since then, I've heard Ducati is now on Rev D of that part (4th generation) and folks are reporting zero issues with it. Not only is Ducati listening to owners, they are actively (and relatively quickly) fixing problems that come up (like making Ohlins redesign their suspension to make it more robust). This whole experience (my 1st Ducati!) has been a breath of fresh air compared to my ownership experience with my BMW GS, where BMW always claimed it was the owner's fault for any issues (like my rear brake caliper failing and roaching ONE of the pads against the rotor....ummm, how can I even cause that?!?!?!), and totally denying their bikes had (and still have!) final drive problems, oil consumption problems, etc. Good on Ducati. Other brands could learn a lot from how they operate, and it shows on the bottom line since Ducati is the only major brand that GREW revenue and gained market share during these last few tough years.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #3063
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I'm considering the Multi and the Explorer for my next purchase, and I'm leaning toward the multi...I've chatted with Sock Monkey and Say It Aint So about their machines, great wisdom from these guys, and I understand that these are great machines, but is it better to get a Multi without the Ohlin setup and if so, is that just the standard model?

I assume the standard model has the same 4 riding modes, but w/o the Ohlin suspension...guess I need to spend time at the ducati multistrada website....
Tiger,

Tough decision for sure. Once my local dealer gets an Explorer to demo (they only have bikes for sale....no test rides.... ) I plan to give it a go just for fun. I LOVE the Tiger 1050 motor and I hear the 1200 is better in every way.

Re. Ducati and DES, here was my thinking on it. What are the 3 things that people always want to "improve" on their bikes?

1) more power
2) less weight
3) better handling/suspension

The MTS12 has 1 covered easily. 150HP is more than enough for the street.

Re. #2, the MTS12 is 420lbs dry. Frankly, I don't believe it, but damn it's light for a 1200 compared to the competition, and I have no idea how they could make it even lighter without totally sacrificing reliability and robustness.

That leaves #3. Ohlins TTX is some of the best stuff out there, if not THE best. Even if you could buy electronically controlled TTX bits separately (you might be able to now, but you couldn't through last year), it would cost you > $4k, and it wouldn't be integrated into the bike. The "cost" when you buy the MTS12 w/ Ohlins and DES is $3k more than the standard model (note I'm comparing apples to apples, meaning the S model which has ABS to the non-S w/ ABS), so in my little squirrel brain I saw SALE!!!!!

Finally, and here's what really sold me on it, having the suspension tied in to the "modes" (and yes, the Standard has the 4 riding modes) is a huge plus in my book. Urban vs. Sport for example. I like my suspension stiffer for those "sporty" outings, but I've been caught out in the rain a few times and been on some totally shitty roads on the way home from the twisty good stuff. I switch to Urban which brings my ride height down by nearly 1" (min preload vs. max preload in Sport) and softens things up for the rutty, pothole infested mess, along with all the goodness from softer power delivery, increased traction control, and less engine braking (and ABS of course). Brilliant.

IMO, if you can afford the extra $3k for DES, do it. It's really nice to have, and a bargain too! Don't get me wrong, I hear the standard suspension is very good, but it's not as good as the Ohlins.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 12:17 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #3064
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Long-time lurker and just want to say thanks for everyone's input on this thread. I've been closely following the Multi thread as well as the Triumph Explorer thread.

I'm on a Tuono right now and hate the thoughts of getting rid of it, but my riding goals and interests are changing as I get a bit older. The wife and I ride a HarDley Street Glide for the "two-up" bike, she loves it and I actually enjoy it as well.

My buddy just purchased a Multi earlier this year...standard model w/ bags added. I spent a good 30 miles on it on some favorite back roads and its got the sport part down pat! Its fast and comfortable. The Tuono is much more planted and stable (full Ohlins setup correctly for me), but the Muti was incredible and worthy of taking over the Tuono's place in the garage.

I just need to decide which way I'll go: Triumph or Duc. Always wanted a triple, but at the same time I've been a lover of twins (high-five) for many years. :) What I don't like about the Triumph is the narrow rear tire. I think a 180 or 190 section tire would fulfill my street riding desires more. For this I lean towards the Duc. Then again, for the money, the Triumph will have lots of nice touring features included.

TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #3065
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
I was somewhat in the same boat between standard and S model. I was pretty sure I wanted ABS, and I knew I was going to want bags. With those two on the bike, the decision was pretty easy to go with the Ohlins and DES, since I was already so close to the price point...
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #3066
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,361
Those of you who have ridden both the standard and the S/T...what is the actual difference in the feel or handling between the two susopensions ? Is the Ohlin's significantly better .

I tend to set my suspensioon and leave it so ease of suspension changes is not an issue with me.

KHVol screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 11:42 AM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #3067
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
its good enough that I don't think most people could tell the difference, and if you don't plan on adjusting it then just get the base model

however, the adjustable suspension in combination with the riding modes really makes the bike more interesting, imo

one without the other doesn't really work

if i had the base model, I would get the suspension set how I like, put it is sport mode and ride

with my S model, I really enjoy changing the modes, and find it great on a long tour, but its certainly not mandatory
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #3068
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
MTS1200S weight

Weight of the MTS1200S is 520 lb w/full tank. Can't recall if I had side cases on or not. Weight distribution was exactly 50/50.

Anyway, it ain't no 420 lb, although it does seem to be the lightest/smallest of all the "ADV-style" bikes currently available...a big factor for my 5-8, 145 stature.

I'm a 2x "early adopter" (totaled first bike on hoarfrost in CO), and thankfully both bikes have been bulletproof. Woulda bought the 1200 Explorer had it existed at the time; also liked my recent test ride on the Super Ten.

Seems to me like the MTS1200 is the best ADV-style bike for "ex-racers". Too bad I'm not an ex-racer...

I'm prolly gonna put 20,000 miles on my MTS1200S this year (just retired from my main job), and see how it's behaved over that time. If I crash again then that's the end. Three crashes (two serious) in two years is too much...another local "early adopter" just traded his MTS1200S in on the first 1200 Explorer to arrive in this area. Likes it a lot.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #3069
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I'm a 2x "early adopter" (totaled first bike on hoarfrost in CO), and thankfully both bikes have been bulletproof. Woulda bought the 1200 Explorer had it existed at the time; also liked my recent test ride on the Super Ten.
Where did you get to test ride the S10? Was it local to Abq?

Quote:
Seems to me like the MTS1200 is the best ADV-style bike for "ex-racers". Too bad I'm not an ex-racer...
It's really an upright sports-bike, IMO, not much of an adventure bike. Another reason I went with it over the rest; that's more what I wanted.

Quote:
I'm prolly gonna put 20,000 miles on my MTS1200S this year (just retired from my main job), and see how it's behaved over that time. If I crash again then that's the end. Three crashes (two serious) in two years is too much...another local "early adopter" just traded his MTS1200S in on the first 1200 Explorer to arrive in this area. Likes it a lot.

--Doc
Bets on how long he keeps the Exploder? :)
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:30 PM   #3070
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
The Multi is really easy to ride it has a ton of power but i was picking my monster up from the shop and I rode out with my now ex wife and had her ride the multi home and she had only ever ridden a 620 and is not the most confident of riders. i set it to urban mode just so her brain would tell her it was tamed down she switched it back to the full hp mode before we got home.

We got to a light and she opened her visor to tell me "Now i know why you ride so fast"

i have ridden mine on dirt roads a little and it was fine but i really think it is more of a Sport tourer than an Adventure bike. especiall because i could mot find good dirt tires for that rear wheel.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #3071
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
Standard model has 3 modes: Sport, Touring, and Urban/Enduro.

In the upgraded model, there are suspension changes between the Urban and Enduro modes, but both have the 100HP engine mapping. No "push button" suspension changes on the standard, so the Urban/Enduro mode just drops the HP on the standard.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #3072
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
It's really an upright sports-bike, IMO, not much of an adventure bike.
what i've been saying since taking delivery of my first one back in early 2010 (especially the first part of your statement). yes, the MTS12 can do "off road" (i suppose that can be defined many ways), but in truth, so can many other motorcycles with two wheels. where it truly shines is on paved roads with lot's of turns between the start and end points, and when comfort and utility are required. what i will continue to say is that it's one of the best if not the best upright "riding" bike out there.

see ya,
Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #3073
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post

--Doc
Do you happen to know what does this "early adopter" likes better about the Explorer that he traded a new-ish Multi for it? Just curious what features or qualities the Explorer had that the Multi didn't. The English bike seems more touring-oriented...that could be reason enough I suppose.
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #3074
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
Standard model has 3 modes: Sport, Touring, and Urban/Enduro.

In the upgraded model, there are suspension changes between the Urban and Enduro modes, but both have the 100HP engine mapping. No "push button" suspension changes on the standard, so the Urban/Enduro mode just drops the HP on the standard.
There are 4 modes on the standard the urban and enduro both limit to 100 hp but the throttle response is different....just ike the throttle response is different between the sport and touring but both are 150hp.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:04 PM   #3075
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
...[SNIP]...
- Re. the Ohlins and DES, it's my understanding that folks who have the latest and greatest from Ohlins (parts shipping late 2011 through today) are seeing no issues with them, indicating it took Ohlins a while to figure out their fancy suspenders but finally have the recipe right. I have a 2010 S model bought new in Feb 2011 w/ 11,000 miles on it now, and knock on wood, no issues so far. I DO have the EverRed warranty that covers the whole bike for an additional 3 years, so I'm set until Feb 2016. By then, given my bike whoring history, I'll be 2 bikes down the road, LOL.

FWIW, that last point is interesting because I've found that Ducati is continually improving the components on their bikes over time. For example, I bought a "1st generation" hands free gas cap that failed and damn near left me stranded because I couldn't get it open to put gas in the tank! I returned it and got my money back. Since then, I've heard Ducati is now on Rev D of that part (4th generation) and folks are reporting zero issues with it. Not only is Ducati listening to owners, they are actively (and relatively quickly) fixing problems that come up (like making Ohlins redesign their suspension to make it more robust)...[SNIP]...

-SM
Maybe the new bikes haven't experienced enough miles or suspension activiations to have a failure? To be completely honest I haven't heard of any contuinous updates from Ohlins on the part design or implementation.

So if you believe the 4th gen hands free gas caps are so good are you willing to use one? From complete lack of knowledge and general distrust of large corp. I doubt the designs have really changed. But then again I've not researched this particular item as I have zero interest in it. I do hope Ducati is actually making strides in developing the model in the meantime. That would be a welcome to all owners. I wonder if they are going to improve the gas tank? Million dollar question...

Heading home on my multi just now, cant wait!
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote