Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2012, 03:45 PM   #3076
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
So if you believe the 4th gen hands free gas caps are so good are you willing to use one?
I was one of the first to purchase and install the HF gas cap from my dealer. At the time it failed, I was told I was the only one who had that happen. Within a few months, 100% of the caps they sold had failed! Of the new Rev D's, none have failed. I think this shows they are improving things. But I said at the time and I'll say it again, I won't buy another one until they put a keyed bypass in it. Fool me once......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #3077
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
There are 4 modes on the standard the urban and enduro both limit to 100 hp but the throttle response is different....just ike the throttle response is different between the sport and touring but both are 150hp.
Is that a later model change ?

The first year standard model only showed 3 modes. The current Ducati website info agrees with you.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #3078
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post

The first year standard model only showed 3 modes. The current Ducati website info agrees with you.
Mine is a '10 Standard and it has the four modes, so as far as I know its always been like that.......I can really tell the difference in the throttle response between Sport and Touring, but to me there isn't as much difference between Urban and Enduro. Sport is very sensitive and aggressive, touring is much smoother, I really like being able to switch between the two depending on my mood, and urban really is perfect for riding around town and commuting through town, I hardly ever use endro. I really I only use enduro when it starts raining and I'm worried about the roads being slick from the oil rising to the surface (before the rest of the rain can wash off the oil).
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #3079
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I was one of the first to purchase and install the HF gas cap from my dealer. At the time it failed, I was told I was the only one who had that happen. Within a few months, 100% of the caps they sold had failed! Of the new Rev D's, none have failed. I think this shows they are improving things. But I said at the time and I'll say it again, I won't buy another one until they put a keyed bypass in it. Fool me once......

-SM
Your experience is what kept me from buying one myself.....thank you for sharing when you did. I agree with you, a keyed bypass makes so much sense I dont understand why anyone that knows the history would buy one without it.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #3080
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post

I also have a '10 standard/abs and have all four modes. Mine stays in sport though.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #3081
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Your experience is what kept me from buying one myself.....thank you for sharing when you did. I agree with you, a keyed bypass makes so much sense I dont understand why anyone that knows the history would buy one without it.
No worries. If my experience saved 1 person from being stranded out in BFE, then it was worth it.

Not to stray too far off topic, but the HF gas cap is a really neat idea IMO. How many times have you read about someone who was camping, or on a long tour, or just out to dinner and reached for their key and went "Uh oh". With the push button PIN starting (key fob bypass) and HF gas cap, you can at least get somewhere (home, Ducati shop if traveling, etc). Without it, you're pretty well fooked if you're low on fuel. But without a bypass, IT can be the thing that leaves you stranded, so it's not going back on my bike. Now I just keep my spare key on me (or hidden on the bike) when I'm far from home.

-SM
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #3082
ekms377
The 2-Stroke Guy

Oddometer: 497
I am an "ex-roadracer" and if its one thing I hate is a no or low on power motorcycle for the street. At least here in the DFW metroplex. Also suspension that isn't somewhat adjustable. While some bikes may be fine for some or even most, I guess I am one at the other end or maybe in the middle of a spectrum. While I don't keep bikes very long.....seems that way anyways these days.....maybe I am still in search of a bike that is a keeper. I thought about the Tenere. Even though it may be problem free and run like a sewing machine, it still not going to have that punch or style or soul to put on smile on your face at least most of the time. While I have yet to ride one so I can't say for sure. On to the Explorer......I would like to try one. Heard the triple is a great engine. I used to ride with a guy that had a Sprint and that bike ran great. No, I didn't get to ride it. That being said, it gives a great alternative to the BMW. Plus I like the Triumphs look. Never owned one, but might. Now for the MS. V-twin.....I love sport v-twins. I think the MS would be exactly what I am wanting.....but again....reliability. Heck, I may never even own one long enough to worry about it. What's funny is that I owned a Caponord for a bit. That bike was actually fun. It wasn't a sport bike or a Beemer.....but it had character. OK...I could go on "bench racing" but I'll stop there. All in all, if I had the money and time.....I would buy and try all these bikes.....just cause. I love motorcycles and would love to ride them all.
'14 KTM 350XCF-W

ekms377 screwed with this post 05-09-2012 at 07:03 PM
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #3083
Will Allen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
My 2010 MTS1200 stranded me twice when the fob wouldn't register due to a bad hands-free CPU, which unfortunately meant the PIN functionality didn't work AND I couldn't even unlock the steering lock, so I couldn't even roll the bike off the street for the night! My confidence was shot after that, especially after the 2nd incident after being "repaired".

How anyone could design an "adventure" bike without any fail safes as rudimentary as a key-backup is beyond me. I sold mine shortly thereafter and will never consider another keyless-only bike ( tho I miss the bike, terribly, otherwise. )

1981 Honda CB650 Custom (sold)
1994 Honda VFR (sold)
Will Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #3084
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Picking up a used 2010 touring tomorrow. Are there any fixes I need to be aware of other than:

-Low end fueling
-Weak rear brake (the 2012 demo bike felt pretty mushy)
-Leaky bag fix

Anything that I should ask the dealer to take care of before I take it home?
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #3085
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Allen View Post
My 2010 MTS1200 stranded me twice when the fob wouldn't register due to a bad hands-free CPU, which unfortunately meant the PIN functionality didn't work AND I couldn't even unlock the steering lock, so I couldn't even roll the bike off the street for the night! My confidence was shot after that, especially after the 2nd incident after being "repaired".

How anyone could design an "adventure" bike without any fail safes as rudimentary as a key-backup is beyond me. I sold mine shortly thereafter and will never consider another keyless-only bike ( tho I miss the bike, terribly, otherwise. )
i agree.

and why in the hec would someone spend all of the money for a "hands free" gas cap if the bypass ended up being a key lock? why not just purchase a keyless gas cap if fumbling for a key in pocket is what one is trying to avoid?
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #3086
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
i agree.

and why in the hec would someone spend all of the money for a "hands free" gas cap if the bypass ended up being a key lock? why not just purchase a keyless gas cap if fumbling for a key in pocket is what one is trying to avoid?
They keyless cap is not going to save anyone any time. Unless you have keyless luggage and a way to do the Vulcan mind meld with a gas pump, you'll need the key for the former and be fishing for a wallet/credit card for the latter, so in both cases you're fishing for something!

Where the keyless cap DOES make sense IMO is what I posted above: For that OH SH*T moment when you reach for your key and realize it's gone "somewhere" and you're a loooooong way from home. The combination of the PIN and keyless cap will get you home or to the nearest Ducati shop to order a replacement.

The reason for a keyed bypass on the cap is for when the keyless cap FAILS, like mine did. Granted, if you lose your key AND your cap decides that's the perfect time to fail, then you're fooked either way and frankly you should have just stayed home.

-SM
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 PM   #3087
marret
Transient

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
Picking up a used 2010 touring tomorrow. Are there any fixes I need to be aware of other than:

-Low end fueling
-Weak rear brake (the 2012 demo bike felt pretty mushy)
-Leaky bag fix

Anything that I should ask the dealer to take care of before I take it home?
Suggest you ensure all updates, both recalls and TSBs, have been done; maybe have the dealer print a report for that bike's VIN. Trying to remember them all...updates include fuel map, hands free ECU and right switch, rear brake, ABS software, possible screw in steering head, side case latches. If there is a clunk in the forks, I believe there is an update for that as well.

You may consider checking out the ducati.ms Multistrada forum, lots of good info there.
marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 AM   #3088
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
They keyless cap is not going to save anyone any time.

-SM
Sure it will, at the gas pump. It seems that some/many that own the HF mod did it so not to have to deal with reaching for their key when fueling up (HF fuel cap threads at Ducati.ms). And as you smartly point out, a keyless fuel cap will never fail you if the bike's key becomes lost but the bike will still start without it. Now that makes sense to me.

So what's the reason to buy a HF fuel cap again?
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #3089
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Sure it will, at the gas pump. It seems that some/many that own the HF mod did it so not to have to deal with reaching for their key when fueling up (HF fuel cap threads at Ducati.ms). And as you smartly point out, a keyless fuel cap will never fail you if the bike's key becomes lost but the bike will still start without it. Now that makes sense to me.

So what's the reason to buy a HF fuel cap again?
I wanted the HF cap for both those reasons, For me it is a PITA to dig the key out for refueling from inside my riding suit. I keep my cc's and a little cash in the little compartment on the right hand side when riding (or my tank bag if I'm using it) b/c I hate sitting on a wallet. So, with a HF cap I wouldn't have to reach inside my suit to get anything.

I hadn't thought of the other reason until I read about it here or over at .ms

Will Allen, that sucks about the ecu problems. Knock on wood, I've only had the too much loc-tite on the tank nut inserts issue, and two unexplained shut downs while downshifting.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #3090
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
i have the keyless gas cap and it is great it even works with the pin when you leave the key in the luggage in your garage.. granted i tested it 500 feet from my house as i was heading out for a ride.

I keep hearing these horror stories from people and i have had no issues like these. yeas the rear break is weak, but it is on every Duc i have ever ridden, and it is really not an off road bike, but do we really expect an off road bike from Ducati? it is a road racing heritage.