Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #3091
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Do you happen to know what does this "early adopter" likes better about the Explorer that he traded a new-ish Multi for it? Just curious what features or qualities the Explorer had that the Multi didn't. The English bike seems more touring-oriented...that could be reason enough I suppose.
I asked him specifically that question, and he said "I just couldn't control myself on the MTS12; get out on the interstate and I couldn't keep it under 100..."

And he was older than I (prolly about 70). I never could understand the "can't control myself" attitude. I may be the exception, but even when I was a 10-year old kid in 1957 (on a 650cc Triumph, BTW) I had not problem "controlling myself" on the bike.

But that was his reason. Also, he had dropped the Multi at low speed making a tight turn on a patch of gravel, which he blamed on the touchy front brake.

Anyway, that's what he told me. He had about 500 miles on the Explorer; says he liked it a lot except for the seat and the windscreen.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #3092
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
But that was his reason. Also, he had dropped the Multi at low speed making a tight turn on a patch of gravel, which he blamed on the touchy front brake.

--Doc
Slow speed tight turn on gravel and front brake sounds like a recipe for a drop no matter what your age, size or strength are....but then maybe thats just me.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #3093
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
I asked him specifically that question, and he said "I just couldn't control myself on the MTS12; get out on the interstate and I couldn't keep it under 100..."
I can understand what your friend is saying. I'm normally a reserved and conservative person but the sport mode is just too tempting. When I'm in this mode I ride way too fast, but within my ability on the street, just not the smartest choice with cages around. When I'm commuting to work or running errands around town the bike is always in urban. The 100hp is plenty. It still wheelies in 1st and 2nd and puts that big grin on my face.

One of the best things about the MTS1200 are the different engine modes and traction control. I think Ducati did an excellent job on the traction control. I can tell the difference between the different traction control settings. It's fun getting the red ring to activate and feeling the rear step out just enough. I haven't ridden the MTS on the track yet, but for agreesive street riding it is really usefull.

I've used the T.C. to test different rear sping preload settings. Too much preload (overly stiff) and the rear steps out much easier. Just the right amount of preload and the rear hooks up and drives you out of the corner with the front wheel hovering over the pavement. In my mind I'm Casey Stoner...

On a serious note, the different engine modes and traction control settings are easily overlooked when thinking about the bike. Potential buyers focus too much only on the suspension aspect. The engine maps and traction control are the same for all models. Since I'm in Houston, I've set my "enduro" mode to a rain mode similiar to SayitAin'tso.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #3094
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintSo View Post
So, with a HF cap I wouldn't have to reach inside my suit to get anything.
exactly, and you wouldn't have to with a keyless fuel cap either. lose the key on a ride with a HF cap (with keyed backup, and out of fuel) and you're not going far.

my key stays in my pocket where i keep my gas card. i personally have no problem reaching for them or making the time to do so. at the end of the day we're talking about additional seconds, and i'm ok with that. a keyless cap makes sense to me though, the HF cap not as much.

moving on,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #3095
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
lose the key on a ride with a HF cap (with keyed backup, and out of fuel) and you're not going far.
Incorrect. you punch in your 4 digit code and follow the same routine and you can open the keyless cap.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #3096
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
Incorrect. you punch in your 4 digit code and follow the same routine and you can open the keyless cap.
is that a relatively new add/feature? if so, it is a well thought out one.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #3097
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Frack, called the dealer to confirm all recalls and SB's had been done and found that only the recalls had been done. Now bike is in the shop until 3PM but I can't get a ride to that part of town until later this evening. This waiting is killing me!
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #3098
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
i don't know but it works on mine and i had the Cap installed when i got it a year ago. left the key in my luggage back in my garage and rode around the block to fuel up before going for the days ride I saw the "no key" message when i pulled into the gas station so i tried it. no prob.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #3099
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Hah! I asked him the same questions. I was chatting to him about the Exploder as well, now that he has one. Says it's less 'raw' than the Mutley, which makes a bit of sense. I think he really likes Triples, too, based on the number of Tigers and Tiger 800s he's owned at various times.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #3100
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
THat might make it worth getting the keyless cap. Hm.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #3101
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,972
Quote:
It's been that way since day 1. That's what I was talking about in my previous posts, but apparently it wasn't translating well......

Also, keyless = HF (Hands Free). A HF cap with key bypass (useful if the HF system fails) doesn't exist, but it should.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #3102
SayItAintSo
Wanna be

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
THat might make it worth getting the keyless cap. Hm.
As long as the problem SM had doesn't show up. If it does your FUBAR w/o a key backup or a set of tools to take it apart at the gas station. Sometimes I almost wish I didn't hear about others problems on these forums....ignorance is bliss.

I enjoy Ironbutt rides and would hate to be in West Texas 1,000 plus miles from home or the middle of nowhere FL at 2 a.m. with a gas cap that I couldn't open.
SayItAintSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #3103
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Dr. Greg's MTS1200S Self-Control...

...y'know, maybe you guys are right about the MTS1200. After all my yakking about self-control, here's an example of my attempts at self-control with my Multi...so much for Dr. Greg

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #3104
Buffalo Bill
kickthetire.litethefire

Oddometer: 997
Factory Pannier Mounting Instructions

I don't have one of these rockets yet, but a friend bought a new Pikes Peak Edition..He just got the factory side cases and hardware, but no instructions for how to mount them..

Does anyone here have a line or a couple pictures on installing the hardware/bag mounts?

Thanks

"A Smokin Hole is a cheap price to pay for a Bitchin Manuever" .....Martin Pargee

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=370704

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=477438

Buffalo Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #3105
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag00 View Post
Thanks guys all I can say is this thing is fast both in speed and handling!!!!!!!!!!! That aside already looking at bar risers and lowered foot pegs to make it a little more comfy.
You obviously haven't pushed the multi to hard yet ! The pegs touch down very easy , putting them lower would be a PITA ?