ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #3106
KodiakRS
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 65
It's here, it's here! It's red and shiny and IN MY GARAGE!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!! I know I said pictures but really I only stopped riding to gloat a bit on some forums. You'll have to wait.

Had a snag at the dealer though, des pre-load error. Went to lunch with a friend while they swapped out the ECU free of charge.
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #3107
Assfault
Exposed Member
 
Assfault's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: RockyMountains
Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
It's here, it's here! It's red and shiny and IN MY GARAGE!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!! I know I said pictures but really I only stopped riding to gloat a bit on some forums. You'll have to wait.

Had a snag at the dealer though, des pre-load error. Went to lunch with a friend while they swapped out the ECU free of charge.

Congrats on your new ride.
I myself picked up a '12 white MTS Touring version a couple weeks ago.
These things rock the pavement and do it comfortably.
I took mine on a bit of gravel roads last weekend, and other than the DTC cutting in on the washboards, I had a blast.
My wife and I are riding to MotoGP at Laguna Seca this July, should be just about the perfect ride.
__________________
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #3108
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: So.Central PA
Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
I asked him specifically that question, and he said "I just couldn't control myself on the MTS12; get out on the interstate and I couldn't keep it under 100..."

And he was older than I (prolly about 70). I never could understand the "can't control myself" attitude. I may be the exception, but even when I was a 10-year old kid in 1957 (on a 650cc Triumph, BTW) I had not problem "controlling myself" on the bike.

But that was his reason. Also, he had dropped the Multi at low speed making a tight turn on a patch of gravel, which he blamed on the touchy front brake.

Anyway, that's what he told me. He had about 500 miles on the Explorer; says he liked it a lot except for the seat and the windscreen.

--Doc
Hey Dr.Greg - I get you on the self-control thing...sounds like this ol' timer needs a slightly less aggressive machine. Couple other reviews I've read paint the Explorer just that way: plenty of power, but not quite the sport bike the Multi is...

I guess the Multi is really becoming the top bike on my short-list.

Sooo.........what's this picture with some 'fer Chevy Volt looking thing pulling you over on a multi?? I'm corn-fused, hoss. You couldn't get away from that thing on a side road and a quick bang through 3rd and 4th gear?

Hopefully you at least talked your way out of the ticket!
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #3109
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..
 
Dr. Greg's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: ABQ, New Mexico
Oddometer: 1,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Sooo.........what's this picture with some 'fer Chevy Volt looking thing pulling you over on a multi?? I'm corn-fused, hoss. You couldn't get away from that thing on a side road and a quick bang through 3rd and 4th gear?

Hopefully you at least talked your way out of the ticket!
Sadly, no... this is close to our local "racer road" and the County Sheriff is not very forgiving. And I was even on my way to a party! Sad...

Only time I "talked my way" out of a citation was many years ago when I got nabbed by a young Tribal guy (Native American reservation cop). He looked at the tailpiece on my '92 Ducati 900SS:

and said, "Are you really a doctor?".

I assured him I was (well, Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering) and he let me go with a "try to keep it down." Cool guy.

--Doc

--Doc
__________________
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #3110
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,891
Well.....not TOO long ago I put myself in a self-imposed 100HP "timeout" because I was riding like a jackass and bad things were going to result. It worked, I calmed down, and now I'm back to 150HP.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #3111
anonny
What could go wrong?
 
anonny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Beautiful Revelstoke BC
Oddometer: 5,396
Mine had to go in for a little warranty work today so I told them my rear brakes were pretty much non existent, the service guy told me they bled them for me.

Just unloaded it off the truck and took it for a short ride, if I stand on the brakes (I mean literately stand up on them) there is enough braking pressure that you can feel the back end slow down like you were dragging your feet. I did get the rear abs to engage by putting excessive force on the pedal on gravel.

I hardly ever use rear brakes but my 1971 drum brakes equipped Honda has way more rear stopping power.

Pathetic, absolutely no excuse pathetic.
__________________
Kawasaki H1 build thread

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #3112
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Mine had to go in for a little warranty work today so I told them my rear brakes were pretty much non existent, the service guy told me they bled them for me.

Just unloaded it off the truck and took it for a short ride, if I stand on the brakes (I mean literately stand up on them) there is enough braking pressure that you can feel the back end slow down like you were dragging your feet. I did get the rear abs to engage by putting excessive force on the pedal on gravel.

I hardly ever use rear brakes but my 1971 drum brakes equipped Honda has way more rear stopping power.

Pathetic, absolutely no excuse pathetic.
Have you had the Service Bulletin performed on the rear brake? It involves replacing the rear brake master cylinder, rerouting the brake line, and a few other things. The MOST IMPORTANT part of that SB is that they do a very thorough bleed of the system once the new parts are installed. My rear brake was mushy but usable before the SB was done, now it's just like any other rear brake I've ever had on a bike. Maybe a bit more pedal travel than I'm used to, but that's due to a dodgy bleed by the dealer. Even so, I can activate the ABS at will on tarmac, etc. The front brake is still your real stopping power, but now the rear has more skin in the game.

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #3113
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
Mine had to go in for a little warranty work today so I told them my rear brakes were pretty much non existent, the service guy told me they bled them for me.

Just unloaded it off the truck and took it for a short ride, if I stand on the brakes (I mean literately stand up on them) there is enough braking pressure that you can feel the back end slow down like you were dragging your feet. I did get the rear abs to engage by putting excessive force on the pedal on gravel.

I hardly ever use rear brakes but my 1971 drum brakes equipped Honda has way more rear stopping power.

Pathetic, absolutely no excuse pathetic.


Preaching to the choir my man......
__________________
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #3114
anonny
What could go wrong?
 
anonny's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Beautiful Revelstoke BC
Oddometer: 5,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Have you had the Service Bulletin performed on the rear brake? It involves replacing the rear brake master cylinder, rerouting the brake line, and a few other things. The MOST IMPORTANT part of that SB is that they do a very thorough bleed of the system once the new parts are installed. My rear brake was mushy but usable before the SB was done, now it's just like any other rear brake I've ever had on a bike. Maybe a bit more pedal travel than I'm used to, but that's due to a dodgy bleed by the dealer. Even so, I can activate the ABS at will on tarmac, etc. The front brake is still your real stopping power, but now the rear has more skin in the game.

-SM
The dealer is telling me there is no service bulletin in Canada, how do I check out their claim.
__________________
Kawasaki H1 build thread

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #3115
Tillerman
DucDude
 
Tillerman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Eastern Townships, QC, Canada
Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
The dealer is telling me there is no service bulletin in Canada, how do I check out their claim.
I'm surprised at the variance in the quality of service from one dealer to the next. When I took my 2011 MTS in to a big Duc dealership in New Hampshire to complain about the rear brake system (and black brake fluid) they just offered to bleed it for an estimated cost of 45 min. of labor. I declined, thanked them and rode on...

A few days later when I took it in to my dealer in Sherbrooke, QC, Canada, they told me they knew of the problem and immediately ordered the factory kit referred to in the Service Bulletin, including new lines and a new master cylinder. The work was all done on warranty.

Tillerman screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 04:51 AM Reason: typo
Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:00 AM   #3116
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer
 
Dave.0's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The coldest part of Arizona
Oddometer: 681
My rear brake used to go from shitty to non existent over about 3000 miles then need to be bleed

After the recall it's just consistently shitty, I mean it helped, but it's not dramatic
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #3117
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,347
^ this

it is what it is, but super effective rear brakes they are not.
__________________
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #3118
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Duke City, NM
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
^ this

it is what it is, but super effective rear brakes they are not.
Once again, seconded. It works. It's there. It doesn't seem to get worse. It's just not ...much
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #3119
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
The dealer is telling me there is no service bulletin in Canada, how do I check out their claim.
Either contact Ducati NA or call around to other dealers. There is a Service Bulletin out for this, and as Tillerman said, the work is covered by the factory warranty. FYI, your dealer will likely attempt a bleed FIRST, and if that doesn't cure it, then they'll order the kit. Mine did that, but they didn't charge me for any labor for the bleed attempt.

Some claim the fix doesn't do much, others see a big improvement (from no rear brake ie. it doesn't even slow the bike down to a working rear brake). YMMV, etc......

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #3120
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
NMEXPAT's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Houston
Oddometer: 310
I had the warranty / service bulletin work done on my rear brake and after 2k miles it still works great. I'm happy with the repair. Before the repair it needed bleeding every 1kowl miles and way always weak. Now it's normal.

NMEXPAT screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 08:23 AM Reason: Spelling grammer
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014