Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #3346
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakRS View Post
Here's one for you MTS experts. When I picked up the motorcycle it had the dreaded des pre load error. ECU swapped and all seemed to be fine.

Now only 2,000 miles and 2 months into ownership I'm getting a DES REAR-REBOUND error. Took it to the dealer, the read the error code and checked everything it said to check, but no dice. They swapped the ECU again and it still posted the error. Any ideas?

This motorcycle has less than 5,000 miles on it and has now had 2 DES errors. Not a whole lot of confidence in the system at the moment.
This is one of the reasons I opted to not have the Gold suspension. It will be fixed I'm sure but the value of this set vs the issues is one that does not equate for me.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #3347
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
One of my MTS riding mate's bike is awaiting a new rear shock unit as well.....of the 5 MTS bikes that ride out of our clubhouse, 2 have experienced DES issues. Not a great stat.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #3348
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
For my 6'4", a lower screen is better. Cleaner and quieter air to the helmet area. Everything else just buffets. First ride yesterday with the MRA sport screen. Kinda like the appearance as well. Demonstrated extraordinary discipline by stopping in the middle of a flow of curves for a pic when noting cooperative lighting.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #3349
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

i'm 5'10 and using a V Stream short screen, so far the cleanest air flow of the ones i've tried yet. that MRA sport screen looks great, Steve, and as always, great photo.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM   #3350
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
No showstoppers...

Luggage is annoying, finicky, overpriced and poorly made.

Keyless key doesn't work if you have a blackberry near it, other wise ok, I guess. Not sure I see the point. My other keys were less likely to get lost or interfere with the ignition.
People still have blackberrys?

Well to put my 2 cents in after a whopping 500 miles on my 2012 Multi, I agree the keyless entry is a pointless affectation and I'd prefer a key. Mine works flawlessly though. The luggage is not great, nowhere near as high quality as BMW luggage. The attachment system makes me nervous. Not a deal breaker for me. The plus side of the luggage is I've never seen a bike that comes from the factory with luggage look so good with the luggage off.

This may be wishful thinking because I bought the 2012, but I really do think most of the niggling glitches in this bike have been worked out. I have no fueling issues I can't live with, the stock seat and screen seem fine to me. The rear brake, sadly is still useless.

eye.surgeon screwed with this post 07-06-2012 at 08:47 AM
eye.surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #3351
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Here's one for you MTS experts. When I picked up the motorcycle it had the dreaded des pre load error. ECU swapped and all seemed to be fine.

Now only 2,000 miles and 2 months into ownership I'm getting a DES REAR-REBOUND error. Took it to the dealer, the read the error code and checked everything it said to check, but no dice. They swapped the ECU again and it still posted the error. Any ideas?

This motorcycle has less than 5,000 miles on it and has now had 2 DES errors. Not a whole lot of confidence in the system at the moment.
There are 2 ends to the wire. One on the ECU and one on the shock. If they've replaced the suspension ECU and still no joy, logic says the shock is toast and needs to be replaced. For bikes with the dreaded DES error, this is a common scenario.....replace both ECU and shock and you're good to go.

FWIW, as with all of the MTS12 niggles (fuel senders, starter switches, etc.), the new DES components seem to be improved as I've only heard of one case where the ECU/shock were replaced and the error happened again, but in fairness it was unclear if the "new" components in that case were of newer manufacture or were left over older products. With well over 15,000 MTS12's sold worldwide, I'd say only 1 reported repeat issue points to a problem that has been solved by Ohlins and we should see far fewer (none?) issues like this on bikes rolling off the assembly line presently. For the rest of us, the extended warranty provides peace of mind.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #3352
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
i'm 5'10 and using a V Stream short screen, so far the cleanest air flow of the ones i've tried yet. that MRA sport screen looks great, Steve, and as always, great photo.
I've got the Calsci on for now; waiting on a (replacement) Puig sport. The Puig sport was the best I've tried.

I'm also in the 'low screen' crowd, and that's at 6'7 with a long torso.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #3353
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,484
Add me to the list. I just stopped by BH Ducati to submit warranty claim on DES Preload error.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
One of my MTS riding mate's bike is awaiting a new rear shock unit as well.....of the 5 MTS bikes that ride out of our clubhouse, 2 have experienced DES issues. Not a great stat.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #3354
KodiakRS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Any idea what the cost of replacing the rear shock is? Bike is a few weeks out of warranty.

If it comes down to having to replace the shock do you think talking to ducati USA will do anything for me?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
KodiakRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #3355
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Any idea what the cost of replacing the rear shock is? Bike is a few weeks out of warranty.

If it comes down to having to replace the shock do you think talking to ducati USA will do anything for me?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Definitely talk to your dealer and Ducati USA. This is a known issue and if yours went out on you while still under warranty, I think you've got a solid case for them to cover it......because you do NOT want to pay for it yourself. With labor I think it's over $2k. Your dealer will have the exact number.

Makes the $900 extended warranty look like a bargain, doesn't it.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:18 AM   #3356
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Definitely talk to your dealer and Ducati USA. This is a known issue and if yours went out on you while still under warranty, I think you've got a solid case for them to cover it......because you do NOT want to pay for it yourself. With labor I think it's over $2k. Your dealer will have the exact number.

Makes the $900 extended warranty look like a bargain, doesn't it.....

-SM
Expensive technology. Glad I opted for the plain manual clicker suspension. It would be a real pity to have a suspension servo ruin a bike. By ruin, I mean completely fed up with repair costs and have to sell due to frustration. The MTS is truly an awesome bike, it's a shame the servos could become the Achilles heel and damage it's reputation. Every other part of the bike is very reliable.

I wonder if this dreaded DES error will affect resale prices on sports and touring models?

Especially since the everred warranty is not offered anymore.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM   #3357
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,353
Another great pic, Mr. Farson...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
For my 6'4", a lower screen is better. Cleaner and quieter air to the helmet area. Everything else just buffets. First ride yesterday with the MRA sport screen. Kinda like the appearance as well. Demonstrated extraordinary discipline by stopping in the middle of a flow of curves for a pic when noting cooperative lighting.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #3358
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post

I wonder if this dreaded DES error will affect resale prices on sports and touring models?

Especially since the everred warranty is not offered anymore.
I personally think it will, with the desirable bikes being those with an extended warranty. The point you make is the exact one that drove me to the dealership to buy an extended warranty when they were on sale before being discontinued. As SockMonkey says, a definite no brainer.

What will be interesting to see is if the Panigale S models will suffer the same.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 AM   #3359
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 944
Is the adjustable suspension system noticeably better than the standard setup? Anyone done a back-to-back comparison? I'm guessing the average rider won't have the skills to push either model anywhere near its limits.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #3360
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
The Ducati Omaha online parts site lists the shock at $3400. That's excluding the computer, including everything else.

However, they list the shock as a single component. It is possible that if you could isolate the problem to one part of the shock, that part would be available through an Ohlins suspension shop.

The DES stuff is a worry. Part of the worry, tho, is the scarcity of good information.