Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #3361
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Is the adjustable suspension system noticeably better than the standard setup? Anyone done a back-to-back comparison? I'm guessing the average rider won't have the skills to push either model anywhere near its limits.
It's going to really boil down to your priorities and how you tend to use a bike when you say better. I own a standard ABS, but took a good test ride on an S touring and adjusted the modes all over while riding. I thought about how I would use it, always one up, rarely ever in large urban areas, don't spend much time on the slab, and rarely off pavement. For my purposes, the push button suspension adjustments don't appeal. I just wouldnt change them often once I got it set up how like it, firm. I find the suspension is firmer on the standard than the sport setting is on the S models Ohlins too. After nearly 16k miles and no faults with the bike, I have no regrets at all. Some people dump on the Marzocchi/Sachs suspension without having ever ridden a standard, but it works well. I did have an 1100S MTS with Ohlins prior to this bike fwiw.

That said, if I had someone that rode pillion with me often and I did more touring, or bought into the "enduro" abilities of the MTS, I'd probably own an S bike. It seems Ducati, and probably more importantly Ohlins, have gotten issues mostly sorted out with the S suspension. It's all about priorities, both work well!
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #3362
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Another great pic, Mr. Farson...
Keith, Did I see a post you were about to pick up one of these MTS things?

Separately, as for the DES, can just note zero issues since bringing the 2010 home over two years ago, and I change it on the fly all the time. A variety of surfaces and "riding attitude" here in the mountains. Would get this option again without hesitation. Certainly there are numerous reports of the error message, but with the web a magnet for problem reporting, deducing the error is reflective of all, or the majority, wouldn't be accurate.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #3363
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Expensive technology. Glad I opted for the plain manual clicker suspension. It would be a real pity to have a suspension servo ruin a bike. By ruin, I mean completely fed up with repair costs and have to sell due to frustration. The MTS is truly an awesome bike, it's a shame the servos could become the Achilles heel and damage it's reputation. Every other part of the bike is very reliable.

I wonder if this dreaded DES error will affect resale prices on sports and touring models?

Especially since the everred warranty is not offered anymore.
Keep in mind that Ducati doesn't make the suspension, Ohlins does. And Ohlins doesn't likely make the servo unit that's going bad, but one of their suppliers does. The bike itself, as you say, seems quite reliable.

All that said, it appears from reports on a Multistrada dedicated site that the latest Ohlins components have fixed this problem, because very few (only 1 that I've read about) have had a repeat rear shock failure.

As Oalvarez said, the suspension is THE reason I too rang my dealer and ordered the Everred warranty in the last days it was available. At the prices listed for repair/replacement, and the number of people reporting failures on the early model year bikes (I have a 2010), it just made sense to get it since I plan to keep the bike at least through the 2yr manufacturer's warranty. Now I get an extra 3 years to pound on/off road with it, and if it dies, no worries.

Will all of this effect resale of the DES-equipped bikes? Absolutely....IF they don't have a warranty when they're put up for sale. The Everred warranty can be transferred to the new owner, so those of us with those in hand will certainly have an easier time selling our bikes if/when we choose to do so.

As you say....sad that this if effecting the reputation of the bike, but given the quality of the handling and the adjustability/integration with the riding modes, even with the issues others have had, I would buy the DES again in a heartbeat. It just adds to a great package.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #3364
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Pirahna View Post
Some people dump on the Marzocchi/Sachs suspension without having ever ridden a standard, but it works well. I did have an 1100S MTS with Ohlins prior to this bike fwiw.
Not to get off topic, but I'm curious to ask: How do you like the standard 1200 suspension compared to the Ohlins on the 1100S?

--"Nope, it's a playground"..
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #3365
NorCal_Multi
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
the suspension is THE reason I too rang my dealer and ordered the Everred warranty in the last days it was available.

Interesting. As you all might have seen I bought a brand new '12 S a few weeks ago. I'm on the fence wrt the extended warranty. I will probably buy it but when I'm in for the 660 mile service.

That said, why did Duc end their in-house warranty? Any experience with 3rd party warranties like Western Service Contract?
NorCal_Multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #3366
NorCal_Multi
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Top Box questions

So I opted for a Ducati top Box when I purchased my MTS, had it factored into the OTD price of the bike. The bike is Ti color so e top box will be as well. I was originally told 2 weeks for the box but 2 weeks has passed with no box and no ETA. I did a search and found these boxes, I guess because of the color, hard to get with long wait times. But these threads were kinda old. Does anyone have recent experience getting the Ti top box?

On another note, I'd like a cleaner look to the mounting. Has anyone used this: http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...tail#itemadded

I'd like to know if the Ducati box fits securely and if this mount and the standard plate is strong enough. The Ducati top box, made by Givi, comes with their mount which requires arms on the sides of the seat. I think ST ruins the lines of the bike. But are they necessary or does this plate work just as well?
NorCal_Multi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #3367
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubars View Post
Not to get off topic, but I'm curious to ask: How do you like the standard 1200 suspension compared to the Ohlins on the 1100S?
The standard 1200 suspension works better than the 1100S' Ohlins IMO. I find it to be more stable, with less wallowing in fast corners. It's firm, but still soaks up the little bumps and expansion joints with little notice. I suppose I'd have to say there are other factors at play beyond the suspension though, like longer wheelbase and different dimensions than the 1100.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #3368
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Is the adjustable suspension system noticeably better than the standard setup? Anyone done a back-to-back comparison? I'm guessing the average rider won't have the skills to push either model anywhere near its limits.
I don't actually have a Multistrada (might someday) but I have test ridden the a few. I like good suspension more than most people seem to and I'd pick the Ohlins over the standard suspension without the electical adjustment. It just feels a lot better quality.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #3369
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal_Multi View Post
Interesting. As you all might have seen I bought a brand new '12 S a few weeks ago. I'm on the fence wrt the extended warranty. I will probably buy it but when I'm in for the 660 mile service.

That said, why did Duc end their in-house warranty? Any experience with 3rd party warranties like Western Service Contract?
The Everred warranty is administered by Wachovia and underwritten by Heritage Indemnity. I'm guessing one or the other (or both) decided they wanted out.

Re. Western, I've heard they are excellent as long as you get their "A" coverage (or what ever they're calling their full-coverage warranty these days). Others have used them with great success. Do a search on the Multi board and you'll get some hits.

-SM
Old 07-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #3370
IslandDave
Stout-Hearted Dude

Oddometer: 5
Hi All,
New poster, longtime Troll.
Anyway: 2011 MTS S and virtually problem free with 20K miles of all sorts.
Question is: does anyone else feel the chain needs to be tightened very frequently (every 500 or so) and also might this be related to the DES system?
-- cheers!
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #3371
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandDave View Post
Hi All,
New poster, longtime Troll.
Anyway: 2011 MTS S and virtually problem free with 20K miles of all sorts.
Question is: does anyone else feel the chain needs to be tightened very frequently (every 500 or so) and also might this be related to the DES system?
-- cheers!
Every 500 miles!?!?!

Hell no! I had my dealer adjust it at the 7500 mile oil change, that's it. Modern sealed chains need very little maintenance unless 1) you're often in harsh/wet environments and/or 2) you're racing and putting a LOT of strain on the drive components. Under normal conditions, you shouldn't have to touch a chain the size and strength of a 530 more than every oil change or so. I check mine every once in a while (2-3k miles) and just ride.

-SM
Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #3372
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,292
I've been wanting to get the MTS badly, Steve..been on the fence way too long...thanks for the info on the DES, that's a critical issue. I am looking at used but would like to get the extended warranty ( Western per Sock Monkey) if it is available . Would hate for it to be like the 911 Porsches where people keep them as long as they can extend the warranty ( 9 years), then dump them immediately afterward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Keith, Did I see a post you were about to pick up one of these MTS things?

Separately, as for the DES, can just note zero issues since bringing the 2010 home over two years ago, and I change it on the fly all the time. A variety of surfaces and "riding attitude" here in the mountains. Would get this option again without hesitation. Certainly there are numerous reports of the error message, but with the web a magnet for problem reporting, deducing the error is reflective of all, or the majority, wouldn't be accurate.

KHVol screwed with this post 07-08-2012 at 01:36 PM
KHVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #3373
IslandDave
Stout-Hearted Dude

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for a "reality check". I keep it to specs and it truly 'sags' quickly. I do all my own routine maintenance (including chain clean, lube and tension) but my pro mechanic (Ducs and Italians only) suggested it may be due to DES. I torque the eccentric hub to 35nm (spec) and it still goes too loose, too soon.
::head scratch::
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #3374
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
So I opted for a Ducati top Box when I purchased my MTS, had it factored into the OTD price of the bike. The bike is Ti color so e top box will be as well. I was originally told 2 weeks for the box but 2 weeks has passed with no box and no ETA. I did a search and found these boxes, I guess because of the color, hard to get with long wait times. But these threads were kinda old. Does anyone have recent experience getting the Ti top box?

On another note, I'd like a cleaner look to the mounting. Has anyone used this: http://store02.prostores.com/servlet...tail#itemadded

I'd like to know if the Ducati box fits securely and if this mount and the standard plate is strong enough. The Ducati top box, made by Givi, comes with their mount which requires arms on the sides of the seat. I think ST ruins the lines of the bike. But are they necessary or does this plate work just as well?
I ordered one of the Bang fabrication plates for the same reasons that concern you , I didn't like the extra hardware of the Givi mounting solution. The plate is top quality and fits the bike perfectly and doesn't require all the extra hardware. It holds the rear case lower than the Givi adapter also, which I prefer. The rear case does sit at a little more of a forward lean though, because the factory rear rack has a forward lean, but it's not a problem.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #3375
eye.surgeon
...riding California

Oddometer: 224
Quote:

I had a western service contract on a BMW because my local BMW dealer told me they were great to work with. My local Ducati dealer told me the same thing, I opted for the full 7 year no deductable Western warranty on my 2012 1200 Touring because of all the expensive electronics and the electronic suspension, both very expensive fixes. Now I dont' have to worry. And the prices are very negotiable, I paid $1,075 for the 7 year one and if you buy it when the bike is new there is no deductable, and it's transferrable...well worth it. I think the MSRP was $1,800.

FWIW I never buy expended warranties on anything, but in this case I felt it wise.