Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #3451
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
You can also buy footpegs that can be lowered a bit too...I think SW Motech has them...check twistedthrottle dot com.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #3452
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post

The other option and one I plan to pursue is to get the taller 'enduro' seat from Ducati.
I didn't know they did one is there pic's available? Also, as this bike is firmly at the top of my next bike list, can anyone tell me if the Ducati Paniers will take a full face helmet.
thanks,,
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #3453
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I didn't know they did one is there pic's available? Also, as this bike is firmly at the top of my next bike list, can anyone tell me if the Ducati Paniers will take a full face helmet.
thanks,,
Here's a comparison of a Rocky Mayer low seat w/ the Enduro one. I'm 5'11" and can flatfoot the bike w/ the taller seat.

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 AM   #3454
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Thanks I found it here also on Ducati UK site.

http://www.ducatiuk.com/accessories/...rtOrder%3Dname
Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #3455
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
thinking of trading in my 950SM and R1200RT on a MTS1200 and i recently sat on one at a local dealer. the seating position restricts movement and the leg room is just OK. are any tall MTS1200 owners who have good solutions and have modified the ergos for more legroom or a less restricted seating position? I am 6'5" with bad knees and have a 34" inseam.
6'7, 34" inseam. So far, my knees are mostly OK though. Came to the MTS1200 off a 950SM with a taller Renazco seat on it, and to be honest, I haven't felt the need to modify the MTS1200 either with taller seat or lower footpegs. I can shift /enough/ on the seat to be OK with it, though back-to-back 400 mile days get to me after a bit. (Better if it's a bit twisty 'cos then I have to move around more!)
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #3456
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Thanks I found it here also on Ducati UK site.

http://www.ducatiuk.com/accessories/...rtOrder%3Dname
I don't think the photo they're using is correct (looks more like the low seat). This, as I understand it, is the enduro seat (and is the same in the very nice accessory catalogue the dealer gave me)

p.s. the 2012 model doesn't use the passenger seat locating pins so the two holes in the back are no longer there.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:29 PM   #3457
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Bro
Old 08-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #3458
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
I actually just ordered the enduro seat for my 2011 MTS. I have the stock seat now. So it'd be interesting to compare the two. Especially from the wind buffeting perspective.

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #3459
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
I recently had a longish test ride on a Triumph Tiger Explorer, and then a very short go on a Mutlistrada straight after the Tiger. I was immediately struck by how much lighter the Ducati was and how the handlebars were exactly where I wanted them. The amount of grunt and character the engine has were pretty obvious as well. The Triumph is far from bland or unexciting, but after the Multistrada you find yourself feeling a bit let down.

I've ridden a Mutistrada a few times now, and I can't help feeling that for all the supposed impracticality, and the definite higher cost, I would have to choose one over all the other 1200's. It's not a copy of a 1200GS like the Triumph or the Yamaha, its just its own special, unique thing. Love it.

Ducksbane screwed with this post 08-17-2012 at 06:00 PM
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #3460
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I recently had a longish test ride on a Triumph Tiger Explorer, and then a very short go on a Mutlistrada straight after the Tiger. I was immediately struck by how much lighter the Ducati was and how the handlebars were exactly where I wanted them. The amount of grunt and character the engine has were pretty obvious as well. The Triumph is far from bland or unexciting, but after the Multistrada you find yourself feeling a bit let down.

I've ridden a Mutistrada a few times now, and I can't help feeling that for all the supposed impracticality, and the definite higher cost, I would have to choose one over all the other 1200's. It's not a copy of a 1200GS like the Triumph or the Yamaha, its just its own special, unique thing. Love it.
it is a mad bike with a mad engine that makes you do mad things. If you have any issues with impulse control don't buy this bike. It's not perfect (what is) - partial throttle fueling, a vibey lump - but it does have a butt load of character which covers most faults.

There are bikes that would be much easier to live with and if I was crossing the States or Europe it wouldn't be my first choice. However, if I was making a beeline for the Alps or California back roads it's the blade for the job.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3461
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
If you have any issues with impulse control don't buy this bike. It's not perfect (what is) - partial throttle fueling, a vibey lump - but it does have a butt load of character which covers most faults.
I'm a pretty buttoned down, sensible dude ... which is probably why I like the Multistrada so much !

I agree about the low rev fueling, but in a Ducati I guess you put this down to "character".
Old 08-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #3462
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
Curious about your other thoughts on the Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post

I have had my Multi 1200 for a year and wont be changing bikes soon. I have to admit if the Explorer had come out last year I would have had to taken a serious look at it. That triple has to be nice and I am guessing that for fire roads and the occasional jeep trail the Triumph would be better than the Multi just on front tire size alone.. then again according to the latest Cycle World maybe not. I think I need to get some crash bars and get my Multi dirty ... it just does not seem like that kind of bike.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:45 AM   #3463
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
I think I need to get some crash bars and get my Multi dirty ... it just does not seem like that kind of bike.
You would be surprised what the Mutley is capable of off-road. The limit is the rider, not the machine. The light weight is the key, and you can flick it around like a dirt bike. Get some good protection for her, and go for it.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #3464
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
I have had my Multi 1200 for a year and wont be changing bikes soon. I have to admit if the Expl.orer had come out last year I would have had to taken a serious look at it. That triple has to be nice and I am guessing that for fire roads and the occasional jeep trail the Triumph would be better than the Multi just on front tire size alone.. then again according to the latest Cycle World maybe not. I think I need to get some crash bars and get my Multi dirty ... it just does not seem like that kind of bike.
On the test ride I had a friend along and we had an R1200GS as welll as the Tiger ... on the road he preferred the GS, I preferred the Explorer, so thats what we mostly stuck with. If we had to ride anything difficult off bitumen there would have been a big fight over the GS, it feels lighter with a lower centre of gravity ... you get the impression it would be a lot better than the more top heavy Tiger.

The Multi feels a lot lighter than the Explorer (and the GS) as well, I imagine that the 17" front tyre is going to be a problem off road with the Ducati, but at least you can calm the engine down a bit ... the Tiger doesn't have any modes and produces ship loads of torque just off idle which could make things difficult off road. I'd say that if you really want to ride one of these monsters off road you'd be better of with the GS or the Super Tenere, or just get a 990.

I do think the other 19" front wheel, shaft drive bikes make more sense than the Ducati ... but at my age do I really have the time to waste being sensible ?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:00 AM   #3465
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 860
I came from a GSA and ended up with the Multi (happily) after seriously considering the Tiger Explorer. The Multi is better for me in all ways except for the wind noise. I'm working on that very solveable issue now. One of the main factors steering me away from the lower priced Explorer was the fact that it is a new model bike and based on the forum I frequented has a lot of significant "teething" issues....bad paint, rust, weird ticking noise from engine that some dealers say is bad and others say is normal, cruise control not always disengaging when you pull the front brake....I know how forums can exaggerate these issues, but there was enough there to scare me away. The Ducati seemed to have a bunch of niggles in 2010, their opening model year, but now seems less so. We'll see.... The other thing for me was I wanted to stay with my trusted dealer, Rayzees. My local Triumph dealership is part of a harley dealership...the Harley side was always hopin', but the Triumph side was like a ghost town.

I love my Multi so far...feels SOOO much smaller and lighter than my GSA yet has loads more power on hand. And with the rider modes, you can turn it into a very docile bike while riding around busy streets or carrying a passenger. This bike takes versatility to a WHOLE new level. And for the type of dirt riding I do, its great...handles really well.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote