Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 AM   #3511
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Enes View Post
i knew someone would post this picture.. cause it's the only one of a guy doing it!!

Anyone else??
Dude, search on Google or look through Youtube.
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #3512
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Enes View Post
that's NOT off road! I mean, they are not in a pavement road... but sh*t, i mean that i can do with my v-max!!

can some one pleas thake a multi to do some OFF ROAD!!

Please!!

i can´t take mine because i have super slicks on it........ :P

just for that... not that i'm scared of breaking anything....
Why does anyone care? The Multistrada ISN'T an offroad bike, never has been, never will be, was never marketed as one. Doesn't multistrada mean "many roads"? And that to me is paved roads, gravel roads and forestry roads. NOT two track or single track. And yes you can ride any damn bike you care to down any gravel road. I put a lot of gravel miles on my Kawasaki MeanStreak cruiser. Was it enjoyable? Not really. Add a few more inches of suspension travel and all of a sudden that road can be fun. That's the point, not whether the Multi will hang with a WR250 offroad.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #3513
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Why does anyone care? The Multistrada ISN'T an offroad bike, never has been, never will be, was never marketed as one. Doesn't multistrada mean "many roads"? And that to me is paved roads, gravel roads and forestry roads. NOT two track or single track. And yes you can ride any damn bike you care to down any gravel road. I put a lot of gravel miles on my Kawasaki MeanStreak cruiser. Was it enjoyable? Not really. Add a few more inches of suspension travel and all of a sudden that road can be fun. That's the point, not whether the Multi will hang with a WR250 offroad.
Thats exactly what I have been saying, why else would it have a 190 on the rear and a 17" front. Its capable of going offroad to a certain extent but lets face it its a comfortable superbike
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #3514
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Possible Multistrada Buyer - Questions

Ok, so I'm considering buying a new Multistrada Touring S. I took one for a test ride yesterday. Here's what I found:

Riding position - awesome
Seat comfort - not so great but not torture rack either.
Heat on legs - definitely there
Engine & suspension (in all settings) - couldn't be better
Pricing - my kid will have to pay for his own way through college

The questions:

Softer, more comfortable seat options? Any recommendations?
I'm concerned about the electronic suspension crapping out afte the 24 month warranty. Should I go for the manual suspension?
Lastly, I'd like to run the bike in Urban mode for the softer suspension setting but not handicap it's horsepower. Can this be done? Or, am I stuck with whatever power is assigned to each suspension/ride setting?

I've ridden a BMW R1200GS since 2005. Also cosidering just buying a new GS and sticking with what's worked for me in the past. Sure would like a lighter and more powerful bike however (ie: the Multi)...

Thanks for the help.
Marc
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #3515
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcf View Post
ok, so i'm considering buying a new multistrada touring s. I took one for a test ride yesterday. Here's what i found:

seat comfort - not so great but not torture rack either.
engine & suspension (in all settings) - couldn't be better
pricing - my kid will have to pay for his own way through college

the questions:

Lots of options here including ducati

i'm concerned about the electronic suspension crapping out afte the 24 month warranty. Should i go for the manual suspension?

If you can swing it, get the ohlins and get an extended warranty if it worries you

lastly, i'd like to run the bike in urban mode for the softer suspension setting but not handicap it's horsepower. Can this be done? Or, am i stuck with whatever power is assigned to each suspension/ride setting?

Totally configurable. Any suspension setting in any mode as long as you get the ohlins and des.

i've ridden a bmw r1200gs since 2005. Also cosidering just buying a new gs and sticking with what's worked for me in the past. Sure would like a lighter and more powerful bike however (ie: The multi)...

Thanks for the help.
Marc
-sm

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 10:08 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #3516
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
Quote:
Ok, so I'm considering buying a new Multistrada Touring S. I took one for a test ride yesterday. Here's what I found:

Seat comfort - not so great but not torture rack either.
Engine & suspension (in all settings) - couldn't be better
Pricing - my kid will have to pay for his own way through college

The questions:

I'm concerned about the electronic suspension crapping out afte the 24 month warranty. Should I go for the manual suspension?
Lastly, I'd like to run the bike in Urban mode for the softer suspension setting but not handicap it's horsepower. Can this be done? Or, am I stuck with whatever power is assigned to each suspension/ride setting?

I've ridden a BMW R1200GS since 2005. Also cosidering just buying a new GS and sticking with what's worked for me in the past. Sure would like a lighter and more powerful bike however (ie: the Multi)...

Thanks for the help.
Marc
Marc, let's see if I can help you out.
Although I like the stock seat, there are other options either through Ducati or Sargent just came out with a new seat.
I have an S model with the ohlins and that are pretty sweet, also the riding modes make more sense combined with the adjustable suspension. On the other hand, I hear the standard suspension is nice and although I have never tried it, I'm sure it's betteer than I am a rider. If your worried about the suspension either get the standard or get an extended warranty. The adjustable suspension appears to be the future for Ducati with the multistrada and the panigale so I suspect they will get it sorted.
All the setting in all the modes are customizable so you can canoe between the three engine modes and the traction control settings. I pretty much left them alone except for increasing the traction control in sport mode- mostly to protect me from myself.
Lastly, if you have the jones for some more power, and what you really want is an upright superbike and you have no aspirations of doing any real dirt then get the multi, a GS just won't cut it.

Dave.0 screwed with this post 08-26-2012 at 04:01 PM Reason: Scooped by SM, and we didn't compare notes
Dave.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #3517
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Quote:
I'd like to run the bike in Urban mode for the softer suspension setting but not handicap it's horsepower. Can this be done? Or, am I stuck with whatever power is assigned to each suspension/ride setting?

Im sure others will correct me if I am wrong but Im pretty sure you can set up the suspension any way you please regardless of the mode.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #3518
Francisco Enes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post

no one cares... or at least not you and the other...!! Or maybe you care and thas is why you say you don't!

But thats fine!

The BMW isn't a OFF Roas bike either... but sh*t! They are out there...

I had one, it's a fat lady! But you can do a lot of things with it that they aren't suposed to do!

the duc is better at a lot of them..

And i sure would like to see someone do crazy stuff with it... that's all!
Francisco Enes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #3519
marcf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Gents - thank you for the input to my "potential new buyer" question. Glad to hear the suspension and power modes are not set in stone. I really like the softer setting in Urban mode but would prefer a bit more power. As for the seat, I'm going to look for a local dealer who has a Ducati comfort/deluxe seat in stock to try it out.
Thanks,
Marc
Old 08-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #3520
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Gents - thank you for the input to my "potential new buyer" question. Glad to hear the suspension and power modes are not set in stone. I really like the softer setting in Urban mode but would prefer a bit more power. As for the seat, I'm going to look for a local dealer who has a Ducati comfort/deluxe seat in stock to try it out.
Thanks,
Marc
No problem.

Just to be clear, there are 3 engine settings, 100, 150 LO, and 150 HI. From the factory, Urban and Enduro have 100, Touring has 150 LO, and Sport has 150 HI. However, there's nothing that says you can't set Urban to 150 LO or HI, or go the other way and soften the suspension in Touring or Sport. Combined with DES, it is amazingly configurable.

One last point: With DES, you get the ability to not only switch "modes" on the fly (just push the magic button, scroll to the mode you want, roll off the throttle and the new mode becomes active), but you can also switch between 4 load settings on the fly (rider only, rider + bags, rider + pillion, and rider + pillion + bags). Of course each of those load settings is totally configurable for preload (in the rear), damping and rebound (front and rear), so you should be able to set it up for any scenario and adjust to changing road conditions and riding style on the fly (sucky road, soften things up, twisties, firm things up, etc).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #3521
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,470
Multistrada is not a dirt bike, get over it. If someone is crazy enough to take it to single track trail, it doesn't mean anything. It rips on paved roads and does great on unpaved ones, no more than that. Why would someone want to trash 20K plastic bike off road when you can do it on proper dirt bike?

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #3522
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,470
By the way stock Multi 1200 seat is among the most comfortable seats I have ever tried, once you get used to seating position it will grow on you. I can ride all day long without a hint of assache :)

D.

Quote:
Thanks,
Marc

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #3523
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,662
Quote:
Thanks,
Marc
I believe it's called the enduro seat. I don't know what was on your test bike but check to see if it was the low seat which is awful (it no better than a plank). The stock seat on mine I find pretty comfortable, but will probably get the enduro at some point.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #3524
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by joef View Post
Thats exactly what I have been saying, why else would it have a 190 on the rear and a 17" front. Its capable of going offroad to a certain extent but lets face it its a comfortable superbike
+1. That's exactly why I bought it, TBH. And to feel 'more' comfortable going down dirt/gravel/etc roads. But mainly -- big fast upright streetbike.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #3525
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
Multistrada is not a dirt bike, get over it. If someone is crazy enough to take it to single track trail, it doesn't mean anything. It rips on paved roads and does great on unpaved ones, no more than that. Why would someone want to trash 20K plastic bike off road when you can do it on proper dirt bike?
Reminds me of the guy I saw on Cinnamon Pass last summer on a brand new Pikes Peak. Well, he wasn't on it, he was standing beside it on one of the switchbacks, beautiful bike lying on its side with significant plastic and control damage. I good rider would have make that pass no problem but what a shame to see the damage on the new bike. Guy was a total noob, and I got him turned around.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote