Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #361
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
I wouldn't go that far, the Strom is fugly!
De-beak the duc and it will look 100% better, hold your hand over the pics on the previous page and you'll see what I mean.
Makes the current Multistrada beautiful by comparison.
Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #362
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
For the MSRP this thing is likely to be, I should not have to do any modifications to make it asthetically tolerable.

Were I the head of Ducati, when I saw the proposal for this bike from the styling contractor I'd hired, I would'a kicked them square in da nuts.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:43 AM   #363
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG
Makes a V-strom absolutely beautiful by comparison.

WTF were they thinking?
sounds like the duc will dwarf the strom in power and handling. All you girlymen caught up in looks, jeez. You don't see it when riding
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #364
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
There's a strong possibility, if this "beak" appears on the production bike, that it's role is to help with creating a downforce on the front end at speed, consider the the weight distribution with bags and the refrigerator sized tail trunk seen in the "spy shots." Beyond that, it's obviously got a role with directing air intake in regards to airbox, oil cooler and radiator requirements.

People quickly got used to BMW's GS series "unique styling" , because the bikes real world performance flat out worked. The market in the long run, more than accepted the Hayabusa's appearance, because it was radar clocked at 194 mph out of the box in it's unrestricted state and proved to be a class leader in it's segment.

I'd sooner have a protruding beak and loaded high speed stability, then the mess Suzuki made of my DL1000's aerodynamics and weight distribution, inexpensively addressed with the speed restricted 5th and 6th gears mapping.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #365
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by MookieBlaylock
sounds like the duc will dwarf the strom in power and handling. All you girlymen caught up in looks, jeez. You don't see it when riding
Well, I hope comparisons of Ducati and Strom never happen again. Two completely different bikes, for two completely different types of riders. An acceptable comparison is the current Multistrada with whatever they will call this new Ducati.
Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #366
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Well, I hope comparisons of Ducati and Strom never happen again. Two completely different bikes, for two completely different types of riders. An acceptable comparison is the current Multistrada with whatever they will call this new Ducati.
Word is that it'll be christened the Multistrada.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #367
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
I'd sooner have a protruding beak and loaded high speed stability, then the mess Suzuki made of my DL1000's aerodynamics and weight distribution, inexpensively addressed with the speed restricted 5th and 6th gears mapping.

996DL
+1

(Not to steal the thread with off topic.. but I was wondering how fast
the Strom will go when unrestricted. It's 130mph restricted, right? I figured
it should be good for 140mph, but who'd wanna go that fast on that bike?)

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #368
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez
+1

(Not to steal the thread with off topic.. but I was wondering how fast
the Strom will go when unrestricted. It's 130mph restricted, right? I figured
it should be good for 140mph, but who'd wanna go that fast on that bike?)
The restrictive mapping in 5th an 6th gears on the DL1000 can hamper acceleration in high speed passing situations. The oem aerodynamics (as well as larger windshields and luggage combinations) and the highly optimistic speedo readings, in conjunction with the restrcted mapping mean it'll be nowhere near an honest 130 mph. Commonly altered gearing (16/41 or 17/43) on the DL1000 with a Speedohealer to dial in the speedometer and a TRE derestrictor in place, make a world of difference in the usefullness of the two top gears.

The Strada Aperta would appeal to road riding DL owners, that have been disappointed with the Strom's loaded handling woes, if they've got over the Koolaid syndrome and can justify the expense and far more elaborate maintenance schedule. So probably about the same ratio as KLR owners that'll purchase one.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #369
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,488
I'm interested to see what the specs are. Daft as it seems, this could be a better sports touring platform than the new VFR.
I like the Tiger - but at rest it seems so top heavy, something the BMW GS doesn't. If this platform is similar to the outgoing MTS then it will be a good machine.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:45 AM   #370
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDuc
Me too. I'm sorta thinkin the same thing.

Mark H.
BINGO! or a leftover.

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:43 AM   #371
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Maniaci
According to my dealer the inventory level on the Multi's is dropping fast at Ducati, which is unusual for a bike that everyone knows is in it's last year and due for replacement...
Its because they've now given up that Ducati is going to revise the MS's appearance (and in fact have made it worse!).

Maybe that was their plan all along...

[bad Italian accents]
Federico Minoli: "Salesa of Multistradas area abonable'a! They'rea piling'a up'a inda sale's floors. Wata we'a gonna do?"

Jason Chinnock:"I know! Lets build something even uglier and less practical. That will dry all those Multi's right up!"

Minoli: "Belesimo!"
[/bad Italian accents]
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:51 AM   #372
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
The restrictive mapping in 5th an 6th gears on the DL1000 can hamper acceleration in high speed passing situations. The oem aerodynamics (as well as larger windshields and luggage combinations) and the highly optimistic speedo readings, in conjunction with the restrcted mapping mean it'll be nowhere near an honest 130 mph. Commonly altered gearing (16/41 or 17/43) on the DL1000 with a Speedohealer to dial in the speedometer and a TRE derestrictor in place, make a world of difference in the usefullness of the two top gears.

996DL
Sheesh.. no wonder everyone wants the Wee.
I figured 4th gear should be tall enough for hi-speed overtaking.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 AM   #373
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,987
The nose on that bike is the most ridiculous design feature I have ever seen on a bike. It kills an otherwise spiffy looking bike.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #374
CGameProgrammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Remember that the 600- and 1500-mile services are now free for 2008-2009 Ducatis. That helps.
CGameProgrammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #375
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,488
Crappy shot on the front of tomorrows MCN of the bike doing a bit of dirt...

Paulvt1 screwed with this post 12-05-2010 at 10:42 PM
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote