Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM   #3751
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
. No not much sleep at all. It started raining 10 minutes after setting off too. But bloody hell is this a cracking bike. I was pleased to find out it came with heated grips as the temp dropped to 7c. I'd forgotten what it was like to ride in the rain and cold . But I still had a lot of fun. Managed 50 miles before giving in and going in to dry off.
Question to all. Did you find the gearbox very notchy to start with ? Mine is particularly bad between 2nd to 3rd.

We Catch the ferry to Spain on Sunday then home to Portugal. It'll be due the first service when I get there. Hoping its dry all the way.
Mine wants to go into neutral instead of first downshifting.

Also, 2-3 and 3-4 up shifts sometimes do not complete and leave me in no gear. The neutral light is not on.

I have about 800 miles on it so far. When I brought it in for first service they said it takes a while for the gears to mesh in.

Whatever. They also did not know of the clunk noise on the front end. I will have to bring in my documentation when I get a chance.
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #3752
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Well done that man. My gearshift is a bit iffy - but all the ones i've ridden with miles on them are slick, so no worries there.

Didn't get out today. Too much on. Hopeful that the weekend will play ball.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #3753
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
. No not much sleep at all. It started raining 10 minutes after setting off too. But bloody hell is this a cracking bike. I was pleased to find out it came with heated grips as the temp dropped to 7c. I'd forgotten what it was like to ride in the rain and cold . But I still had a lot of fun. Managed 50 miles before giving in and going in to dry off.
Question to all. Did you find the gearbox very notchy to start with ? Mine is particularly bad between 2nd to 3rd.

We Catch the ferry to Spain on Sunday then home to Portugal. It'll be due the first service when I get there. Hoping its dry all the way.
Congrats on the new bike! 7 degrees celcius! We leave in a few days for two weeks in Morocco, then we're coming your way for two more weeks touring Portugal. Sitting here staring at the snow falling so was hoping for warmer than 7. Enjoy your trip to Spain.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #3754
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Well done that man. My gearshift is a bit iffy - but all the ones i've ridden with miles on them are slick, so no worries there.

Didn't get out today. Too much on. Hopeful that the weekend will play ball.
Everything about the Duc is tight when new (engine, suspension, gearbox....much more so than on other bikes I've ridden or owned). As a result, it won't just "slide into gear" until you get some miles on it (several thousand at least). Until then, shifts need to be deliberate and firm, not little taps with the toe of your boot. It will get there, but until then, shift it like you mean it.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #3755
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,562
Quote:
Did you find the gearbox very notchy to start with ? Mine is particularly bad between 2nd to 3rd.
As I mentioned, mine was notchy as hell the first thousand miles and then it eased up, even the engine smoothed out. At 2500 miles it changed again and is almost BMW like (I mean the new Beemers not the old 1100 ).

It clunks going into first and if you're doing supermoto stylee and banging down from say sixth to second it likes a little foreplay on the clutch between shifts to engage the dawgs.

It just keeps getting better
Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #3756
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 758
Thanks for all the replies friends. You have allayed my fears.
I'm going to miss the RT,s screen and cruise control on the trip back to Portugal but otherwise not much else so far, but I'll report more after the ride and no doubt I'll be getting a full report on the pillion accommodation too
I'm sitting here thinking if there is anything I might need to get from the shops for an excuse to go out and ride it again
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #3757
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Congrats on the new bike! 7 degrees celcius! We leave in a few days for two weeks in Morocco, then we're coming your way for two more weeks touring Portugal. Sitting here staring at the snow falling so was hoping for warmer than 7. Enjoy your trip to Spain.
On the way over here I spoke to 3 KTM riders that were just returning from Morrocco and said it was HOT down there. There is a cold snap forecast this weekend for the UK and will affect Spain and Portugal too but I expect it to pass and return to normal. You might just have your timing right and visit Portugal during our 'perfect week' it happens every year around November/ December when it returns to almost summer temperatures.
I'm scheduled to be away working when you visit Portugal unfortunately otherwise I would gladly stand you a beer or two. Let us know how you get on and if I can be of any help just shout.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #3758
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Thanks for all the replies friends. You have allayed my fears.
I'm going to miss the RT,s screen and cruise control on the trip back to Portugal but otherwise not much else so far, but I'll report more after the ride and no doubt I'll be getting a full report on the pillion accommodation too
I'm sitting here thinking if there is anything I might need to get from the shops for an excuse to go out and ride it again
Parabens pela tua moto nova. Estou na lista para comprar uma Pikes Peak. Abraço.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #3759
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
On the way over here I spoke to 3 KTM riders that were just returning from Morrocco and said it was HOT down there. There is a cold snap forecast this weekend for the UK and will affect Spain and Portugal too but I expect it to pass and return to normal. You might just have your timing right and visit Portugal during our 'perfect week' it happens every year around November/ December when it returns to almost summer temperatures.
I'm scheduled to be away working when you visit Portugal unfortunately otherwise I would gladly stand you a beer or two. Let us know how you get on and if I can be of any help just shout.
Too bad we'll miss you, but we'll take you up on your offer of beer next time. We're riding in Morocco but just touring around in a car for Portugal, meeting my wife's parents for that part of the trip so bikes were out. But we are definitely coming back for a bike tour of Spain and Portugal. We'll try to keep that Ducati in sight on our rented Beemers.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #3760
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Parabens pela tua moto nova. Estou na lista para comprar uma Pikes Peak. Abraço.
Muito obrigado, Nós somos homens realmente sorte
Old 10-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #3761
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Cold here. Hope to try out all my heated shit tomorrow.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #3762
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 946
Picked up a 2010 Sport a couple months ago and loving it so far. Got out for a ride yesterday with a couple friends. The MTS never ceases to excite. On a nice straight stretch of country road, I grabbed a handful in third gear at about 4K and she wheelied like a sportbike. And anytime the collective decides it's a good time to run hard, I never get left in the dust. If anything, I have to back off. We stopped for a bite to eat and naturally conversation turns to bikes. A friend looks at the MTS and says "that's a spoiler. It'll be tough accepting anything less capable after riding it." He's right.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #3763
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 195
full system

Just put the Termignoni exhaust on it! WOW I am surprised at how much sportier it is! I rode for 4000 miles with the stock exhaust. The Termi is sweeeeeeet! The new ECU shifts the powerband around and it idles higher than it had. I had to figure out how to pull the baffle but that was pretty easy after seeing a few posts. Sounds great. Not offensively loud that is for sure.

Rode 200 miles with it today and it flys. Better behaved at lower revs but I think that is because it idles higher. Glad I made the purchase.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #3764
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Picked up a 2010 Sport a couple months ago and loving it so far. Got out for a ride yesterday with a couple friends. The MTS never ceases to excite. On a nice straight stretch of country road, I grabbed a handful in third gear at about 4K and she wheelied like a sportbike. And anytime the collective decides it's a good time to run hard, I never get left in the dust. If anything, I have to back off. We stopped for a bite to eat and naturally conversation turns to bikes. A friend looks at the MTS and says "that's a spoiler. It'll be tough accepting anything less capable after riding it." He's right.

What folks don't realize is sport bikes are faster....on a track. On REAL roads, with shitty pavement, undulations, holes, etc., the extra travel of the MTS will help to keep it settled vs. dancing all over the place and losing precious contact patch. Of course having a superbike motor in that chassis doesn't hurt either....

Keep the rubber bits down. Rains are starting and around here a lot of crappola is getting washed into the street, especially in the turns. Nothing like coming in hot to your favorite bend(s) and seeing a bunch of sand and gravel strewn all over the place....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #3765
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Haven't made the leap yet, but I' only perhaps a few days away from buying a Multi 1200 so this thread is very interesting to me.