Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #3766
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Haven't made the leap yet, but I' only perhaps a few days away from buying a Multi 1200 so this thread is very interesting to me.
Don't waste another minute. After 2 short days on it my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #3767
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Well got a few more miles on it today in sunshine but very cold temps. As you all said about the gearbox, it was ok today, only one hiccup so I'm well pleased, it seems when changing gear I need to put my foot down with a firm hand
I'm still amazed at how light this bike feels after my RT. I'm really looking forward to getting all the bags off and trying it in a more sporty mode.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #3768
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

What folks don't realize is sport bikes are faster....on a track. On REAL roads, with shitty pavement, undulations, holes, etc., the extra travel of the MTS will help to keep it settled vs. dancing all over the place and losing precious contact patch. Of course having a superbike motor in that chassis doesn't hurt either....

Keep the rubber bits down. Rains are starting and around here a lot of crappola is getting washed into the street, especially in the turns. Nothing like coming in hot to your favorite bend(s) and seeing a bunch of sand and gravel strewn all over the place....

-SM
Be careful out there. The nice riding roads around here have another danger: horse poo. Big Amish community in Ohio.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #3769
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I'm still amazed at how light this bike feels after my RT.
And that, right there, is what the other bikes in the class can't match. The Multi feels like it weighs half as much as the others, and I've ridden them all except for the Tiger Explorer (and I doubt I would feel any differently after riding that one either). Not only is the Mutley very well balanced, but it's just plain light. You can feel that just pushing it around in the garage, and it translates directly to how it feels on the road.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #3770
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 195
Did a nice loop of around 400 miles today. Really loving the new exhaust. Ripped through some country roads out in western MA. For a bike as light as it is, doesn't get blown around on the highway much. The worst was the Tiger 1050. That thing was like a sailboat! I can't get over how quick and nimble the multi is.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #3771
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I managed about 250 miles yesterday - bearing in mind i'm trying to work the motor and chassis and am still restricted to 6000 rpm, so i stuck to back roads.
Stunning bike. Not quite sure why it didn't click with me before. I wonder if it was the electric suspension not giving me enough feedback? The standard forks and shock transmit every ripple back to me - with enough damping to keep me getting too tired. Bloody lovely.
The handling is in another class. Better than every other bike in the tall rounder class - and i've ridden them all this year. Only the KTM SMT is in the same league.
Braking - front is ace - back..errm. That might be one of the worthwhile mods on the '13.
Engine. Oh yes. The money i spent on the S10 was wasted.
Best performance mod for any other bike in the class - buy a Multistrada.

All in all - the closest i've come to my perfect bike.
I now finally get the Ducati thing.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 AM   #3772
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
I managed about 250 miles yesterday - bearing in mind i'm trying to work the motor and chassis and am still restricted to 6000 rpm, so i stuck to back roads.
Stunning bike. Not quite sure why it didn't click with me before. I wonder if it was the electric suspension not giving me enough feedback? The standard forks and shock transmit every ripple back to me - with enough damping to keep me getting too tired. Bloody lovely.
The handling is in another class. Better than every other bike in the tall rounder class - and i've ridden them all this year. Only the KTM SMT is in the same league.
Braking - front is ace - back..errm. That might be one of the worthwhile mods on the '13.
Engine. Oh yes. The money i spent on the S10 was wasted.
Best performance mod for any other bike in the class - buy a Multistrada.

All in all - the closest i've come to my perfect bike.
I now finally get the Ducati thing.
That's a big +1 for me too. I just might have got my biking mojo back.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #3773
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
I reckon running the bike in over winter will help the time fly. Well - that's what i'm telling myself as i watch the rain hammer down.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #3774
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
I'll just pile on and say that the MTS1200 is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. I have a 2012 MTS 1200 ST that I purchased back in April and I just rolled 13,000 miles on the clock this morning. I come from a history of sport bikes but over the past few years have been getting into more of the adventure touring segment. I tried out a few other bikes, but none of them grab a hold of you like the MTS does.

One of my other bikes is a 1098 Tri and I had a deposit on a 1199 Panagale prior to their release. When my dealer finally got his demo 1199 in I immediately went over for a test ride. It was fun but it wasn't substantially different than my 1098 (actually I thought the 1098 had a little more soul than the 1199). When I got back from that ride the dealer could tell I was having second thoughts about my purchase and he mentioned he had a MTS demo as well. I had seen them before but never really paid that much attention to them in the past (kinda thought they were a little fugly). I hopped off of the 1199 and went right back out on the MTS. About 30ft outside of the dealer parking lot I was sold and it's only gotten better the more I ride it.

There's something about the way the power hits you that makes it so much fun at normal highway speeds. It falls effortlessly into corners and you never feel as if you're not in complete control of the bike. My race bikes are little to no fun on the street unless you're planning on taking some serious risks with you license. The MTS is a dream at all speed and it's a lot more confidence inspiring when the asphalt isn't perfect.

Off the pavement it's not slouch either. I recently did the TLH on my MTS with a couple of friends who were on GS's. We would average 100kph on the dirt and I was keeping up with them every step of the way. Mind you, they were running Heidenau K60 dual sports while they best thing I could get at the time was Dunlop D616's. Now I've got a pair of TKC80s just waiting to take on some dirt.

It does have a few drawbacks, mainly being the stock windscreen. They would have been better just not including one at all. For my height (5'9") no matter what position you have it in you just get direct wind blast to the face and your head bounces around like a bobble head at any speed greater than 55mph. I ended up ordering the Pikes Peak carbon fiber short screen and it's been perfect ever since.

I haven't had as many issues with the gearbox as other people seem to have but I have noticed that if you aren't firm with the 5-6 or 6-5 shift you will end up in neutral. All the other shift points seem pretty forgiving on mine.

I always find it funny how everyone always talks about how ugly it is considering it's a ducati, and I was the same way until I had my first ride. Now I think it's one of the most beautiful bikes out there. You really need to ride one to truly understand what a great bike it is.

[

And in case anyone's wondering, the Multi gets exactly 238 miles to the tank averaging 100kph on gravel.

ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #3775
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
I'll just pile on and say that the MTS1200 is by far the best bike I have ever ridden...
Allow me to rephrase that..."the MTS1200 is by far the bike that I LIKE THE BEST of all the bikes I have ever ridden..."

Bikes are like food: they're not good or bad; it's whether YOU like them or not.

I've enjoyed riding the MTS1200S for over 40K miles, but it hasn't (yet) given me the amount of enjoyment I got from my '06 Uly (90K miles). The MTS is certainly a superior bike to the Uly, yet (so far) I've gotta say I haven't quite enjoyed it as much...that may change; it may not...

Sorry, just feel introspective this morning, I guess.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #3776
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
I'll just pile on and say that the MTS1200 is by far the best bike I have ever ridden.
Great looking bike, and well set up for its intended purpose. Well done!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #3777
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Thinking about a MTS

Ok, I'm sure the answer I'm looking for is somewhere in these 252 pages, but I'm lazy.

I'm coming from a GS/GT background. I live in Colorado, home of some great riding, some of the best, imho. This is for sure Multistrada country. Before I pull the trigger on one, I would like to know more about the 1200ST - can you do 700+ miles per day, what kind of maintenance costs are realistic, reliability? Test rode one and was majorly impressed, just don't know much about them. Thanks in advance,....
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #3778
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post
Ok, I'm sure the answer I'm looking for is somewhere in these 252 pages, but I'm lazy.

I'm coming from a GS/GT background. I live in Colorado, home of some great riding, some of the best, imho. This is for sure Multistrada country. Before I pull the trigger on one, I would like to know more about the 1200ST - can you do 700+ miles per day, what kind of maintenance costs are realistic, reliability? Test rode one and was majorly impressed, just don't know much about them. Thanks in advance,....
I'll take a stab at this -
I have an early 2010 S model. There were a few well documented teething type recalls for reflashes of the ecu, rear brake, pannier latches. Sort of annoying, but not a big deal. Those should be sorted now. I had the "des preload error" which needed two trips to the dealer and ultimately a new shock ecu. All handled under warranty. Since then, no issues. Currently, I have just under 29000 miles on the bike. I have taken it all over the us and western Canada. I have done dirt roads and track days. It has never stranded me or or had a problem that stopped me from riding. So as far as reliability, mine has been good. Without the ohlins ( which I love) I would have had no issues. The skyhook suspension is another can of worms, but I cant comment on that. I am taking my bike from Dallas to Naples Florida for thanksgiving, and I have no concerns about that trip. I have done close to 700 miles in a day, the stock seat is good, the windshield needs to be fine tuned for you - endless discussion about this.

As far as maintenance costs, I have pretty much followed the recommendations of Ducati for every 7500 miles. I changed the oil an extra time at 3500, but since have stuck to the recs. The basic maintenance is straightforward, but I don't do the major (valve) service myself. That service is called for every 15000 miles. My valves were in spec at 15k, but I suspect they will need adjustment this next time. That service is around 1000 dollars. The only other stuff I have done is tire changes (numerous - just put on a set of PR3, very nice) and changed the chain and sprockets at about 28000 miles. I bought those online for around 250 dollars.

It's really a great bike, and as a sport tourer I think it can't be beat. The motor is a gem, and although it is down on power at altitude, it's still more than enough. It's a beast on the track, but fun in its own way. It suffers in sand, mud or anything loose and that's the only time I had an issue with it, but I probably shouldn't have been doing that stuff anyway. It handle gravel and hard packed dirt without issue, it really shines on uneven or broken up pavement. I like getting new bikes, but I can't think of something to replace this one with so I'm keeping it. I got the extended warranty, and although I haven't needed it, it seemed like a good idea.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #3779
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post

I've never had the need to do 700+ miles in a day, but I've done 500 - 550 miles on several occasions. If you throw on a throttle lock or splurge a few hundo for the cruise control mod you could go all day on it. On my TLH trip I did 5,000 miles in 14 days and never once felt soar. The normal riding position is very comfortable IMO, but if you ditch the stock pegs and get a wider platform for your feet the standing position is great as well. I raised my bars about 1.5" to avoid having to lean forward while standing and if no one's watching I'll ride like that for miles. Helps to break things up.

I ended up getting the DP comfort seat, but to be honest, I don't think it made a huge difference. The stock seat was pretty good.

Oil changes have been running me about $140 from the dealer. The 7500mi service was about $225. Haven't hit the 15k service, so I can't comment on that yet. You can check page 175 of the owners manual available here to see the list of the dealer performed service operations at the regular service intervals so you can get an idea of whats involved.

Biggest expense for me has been tires. This thing eats them up... but guess that's entirely dependent on your riding style. For some reason every time I get on this bike I regress back to my teenage years.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #3780
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
DAve O

Hey Dave O, that was a good answer. Thank you! I"m looking at either a 2010 or a 2011, a couple of them to choose from here. A few more random questions: How often do you change settings when you ride? Also, what kind of oil do you use (and no I'm not starting an oil thread!).

Again, thanks a lot.