Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #3781
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Just maybe the very last hurdle before I commit is the cost of maintenance, been on BMW's for a long time and I'm curious as to how they'll compare. Any informed knowledge here????
Old 10-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #3782
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post
How often do you change settings when you ride?
This is going to be mostly dependent on the rider and the ride. For 90+% of the time I leave it in sport mode and forget about it. But if it starts to rain, I'll throw it in urban mode. If I'm going in the dirt, enduro. I normally use touring only when I'm going to be using my throttle lock for an extended period of time (it helps keep engine surge down when I'm trying to fine tune my speed).

The nice thing is each mode is completely customizable. You can't change the names, but if you knew you were never going to go off road and instead wanted 2 different levels of sport mode, you could just reprogram enduro to a 2nd sport mode, with just maybe different suspension settings....you get the idea.

If you are planning on any offroading, play around with the DTC settings in Enduro mode, it comes default at intervention level 2 and it's too aggressive IMO.

Another bummer is you can't program the ABS in the riding modes. It's always on unless you manually disable it, and it reverts to on when you stop / start the bike again. Also, you can't adjust the level of intervention on the ABS, just On or Off.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #3783
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer View Post
Hey Dave O, that was a good answer. Thank you! I"m looking at either a 2010 or a 2011, a couple of them to choose from here. A few more random questions: How often do you change settings when you ride? Also, what kind of oil do you use (and no I'm not starting an oil thread!).

Again, thanks a lot.
I change the modes a lot. I like how the suspension changes go along with the motor mapping. I am about 160 lbs and I find the suspension just about perfect. The only changes to the modes I have made is to increase the traction control in sport mode - mostly to protect me from myself. In daily use I don't change it, just leave it in touring. While touring I change it often - urban for rain, touring for slab, enduro for shitty bumpy roads and sport for twisties. Really this is a luxury, and you could just have one mode and it would be fine, but I have it so I use it.

As far as oil, I'm not really a good person to ask. I'll use whatever I've got, but I've been using synthetic. I've been using Mobil 1 lately, but I've used other brands. I figure whatever oil I have is better than the old oil. It doesn't burn any oil however, and I have never added oil between oil changes.

Currently there is a recall involving the coolant. I don't really inderstand it, but apparently some batches of bikes had coolant that caused erosion of the heads. It apparently affects bikes of high mileage and certain vin numbers. I haven't had any issues, but I made an appt. to do the 30k service a little early to get the coolant changed as well. That is something you may want to look into.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #3784
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Thanks again, Dave O and to you too, ten.98. Great info! A test ride just doesn't seem to do the bike justice and it's hard for me to throw down massive amounts of cash on something I'm not totally sold on, but having this kind of advice is really helpful. What's the longevity of these bikes?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #3785
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post

Another bummer is you can't program the ABS in the riding modes. It's always on unless you manually disable it, and it reverts to on when you stop / start the bike again. Also, you can't adjust the level of intervention on the ABS, just On or Off.
The 2013's have the ABS issue addressed. I mean, you can program levels of intervention. However, the 2013's has front and rear brakes linked, depending on riding mode. I don't know how that works, but it would be nice if you could turn that off as well.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #3786
ten.98
...leave a trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
The 2013's have the ABS issue addressed. I mean, you can program levels of intervention. However, the 2013's has front and rear brakes linked, depending on riding mode. I don't know how that works, but it would be nice if you could turn that off as well.
Unless they fixed the rear brake as well the linking wont be that noticeable. The rear brake is about as useful as trying to stop the bike with your feet.

Still by far the best bike I have ever ridden. (Whats up, Doc? )
Old 10-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #3787
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,450
Quote:
Unless they fixed the rear brake as well the linking wont be that noticeable. The rear brake is about as useful as trying to stop the bike with your feet.

Still by far the best bike I have ever ridden. (Whats up, Doc? )
I rented one for 24 hours this weekend. I liked it enough that I think I'm going to buy a 2013 but what is up with that rear brake???
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #3788
Be Rad The Fish
Movin' Out.

Oddometer: 70
Quote:
And in case anyone's wondering, the Multi gets exactly 238 miles to the tank averaging 100kph on gravel.
I can't get more than 180 miles in touring mode on a 65 mph highway commute! Everyone else experiencing over 200 mile tanks?

Past: '81 Kawasaki 440LTD, '00 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, '00 Harley Davidson FLHTCI, '03 Harley Davidson FLHRCI, 2007 KLR 650, 2008 BMW GS ADV, 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring.
Be Rad The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #3789
ten.98
...leave a trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymorr View Post
I rented one for 24 hours this weekend. I liked it enough that I think I'm going to buy a 2013 but what is up with that rear brake???
Mine (and from what I hear just about all of them) is shit. As soon as you press down hard enough to begin to feel the effects of braking the ABS kicks in and basically kills all of the benefit it was providing. I use mine when I need to clean up a corner entry a little, but i never rely on it for shortening my stopping distance. I guess at this point it's also worth mentioning that the front rotors have a tendency to wrap as well if you ride them hard. I had a spirited day up in the smokies a few months back and ever since then the front end of my bike shakes like fat girl's vibrator whenever I try to dump a lot speed in a hurry. Luckily they're covered under the warranty, so I'm going to get my money's worth there. Outside of warranty they're $330 * 2.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #3790
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 195
I can't get far on a tank of gas either. With full Termi now I only get 150 miles mixed roads. With stock I don't think I ever saw 200. Glad to hear people mentioning the reliability I have had no problems with mine but its still new at 4500 miles.

I have never had a bike that handled as well as the Multi. You don't have to be breaking the sound barrier either I was in a parking lot yesterday trying to scrape the pegs, which I couldn't do, and was having a blast! Just going in circles and figure eights. God was it fun. I am proud to report that on the back tire I have no chicken strips at all!

2010-2012 models are not without issues (wind) but 2013 model seems to address some non-issues like the suspension. Don't hear many gripes about the suspension Ohlins or Marchosi. I hate that it is no longer available with Ohlins! No way Skyhook is better! So far I do not like where Audi is going with the Multi. Get the leftovers while you still can!
Old 10-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #3791
ten.98
...leave a trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Rad The Fish View Post
I can't get more than 180 miles in touring mode on a 65 mph highway commute! Everyone else experiencing over 200 mile tanks?
This was on a section of the TLH that I knew I wasn't going to be able to make on one tank. I was babying the shit out of it. No sharp accel or braking, no unnecessary stops, etc... Filled up, started riding a steady 100kph, and didn't stop until I ran out of gas. Missed my gas stop by about 8 miles.

Normally I would say I get about 190 miles to the tank pretty consistently with 5 miles remaining on the computer.

I will say that the computer is very accurate the closer you get to empty. It seems like for the first 1/2 tank it's just guessing, a lot of times I wont even see a bar drop off the gauge until I've done like 70 miles(should be about 1 bar every 20 miles), then it drops rapidly to 1/2 tank and from there it's very accurate. I ran out of gas less then 2 minutes after it said 0 miles to empty, and from 50 to 0 it ticked off almost perfectly.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #3792
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,441
I just did a couple of weeks in Italy on a 1200 S. A very sweet bike. Now I must own one. Loved everything about the bike except the range. I'll keep my GS/A for long distance touring and it's versatility but must have the Ducati for the soul.
Red or matt chrome?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #3793
Be Rad The Fish
Movin' Out.

Oddometer: 70
Quote:

Normally I would say I get about 190 miles to the tank pretty consistently with 5 miles remaining on the computer.

I will say that the computer is very accurate the closer you get to empty. It seems like for the first 1/2 tank it's just guessing, a lot of times I wont even see a bar drop off the gauge until I've done like 70 miles(should be about 1 bar every 20 miles), then it drops rapidly to 1/2 tank and from there it's very accurate. I ran out of gas less then 2 minutes after it said 0 miles to empty, and from 50 to 0 it ticked off almost perfectly.
That's my experience also. Wild claims of 250 mile range at fill-up is usually what I see. Accurate nearer the end.

Past: '81 Kawasaki 440LTD, '00 Suzuki Bandit 1200S, '00 Harley Davidson FLHTCI, '03 Harley Davidson FLHRCI, 2007 KLR 650, 2008 BMW GS ADV, 2011 Ducati Multistrada S Touring.
Be Rad The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #3794
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,368
They addressed the rear brake issue on the 2013 (it is "better", according to who rode it). Anyway, who relies on rear brake for stopping? I rarely touch that rear brake lever. Where is it again?

And the 2013 DS motor, that is an evolution of the Testastreta 11degrees, is said to have a 10% better fuel economy at 100kmh than the current motor. And 5% more torque at the peak torque. Dual spark, changed angle of fuel injection, and secondary air valve for when richer mixture is needed but still keeping enviros happy: these three changes supposedly made the motor smoother on low revs, and improved fuel efficiency and torque along the way. One of the Desmo club people that Ducati invited for a test ride last week in Bologna mentioned that the torque increase feels like a bigger gain than the 5%. They all state the motor is very smooth now, but the fun, visceral experience it gives remains. If the 10% at 100kmh (a bit less than 65mph) is accurate, the dude that gets 180 miles per tank would get 216 miles with the 2013 bike.

Now, about the skyhook, why not? Cheaper than Ohlins and do the same or better job? Soon most top of the line bikes will have it or something similar. BMW HP4 is the first one. The R1200GS will soon follow. Like in cars, Maserati and Ferrari make use of it for more than 10 years already (I hear), and several other top manufacturers have some form of semi-active suspension in their cars.

Lion

But there is more: the Multistrada is the best bike I've ever ridden. And that is my opinion and my wording of my opinion, and I'm sticking to my opinion and the way I express it. :-)

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 10:05 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:51 AM   #3795
falcodave
n00b

Oddometer: 7
My 2011 base has never seen more than 150 miles on a tank no matter how i ride, combination of back road/highway (no dirt) but i've only taken it out of Sport mode for a total of 15 minutes through 10,000 miles. i went with the base to limit exposure to electronics; the suspension on the base works very well for me. EBC HH pads on the rear were a huge improvement, until the dealer messed with it during the 7500 mile service. The EBC's also gave the front a better feel, and around 8000 miles the front rotor(s) began pulsing, going to chase it via warranty. I can't get the wind protection sorted no matter what screen I use, have pretty much resigned myself to living with it as is. No other issues and as others have said, the best bike i've ever owned or ridden - massive grin factor. The coolant thing does scare me a little, so I went and looked at the only other bike i would consider right now - a 990 SMT. Not as well finished and lacking a few nice items but very nice, looks to be much easier to wrench and i'm a long-time KTM fan. And now a major Ducati fan.
falcodave is offline   Reply With Quote