Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 03:49 AM   #3796
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 690
I can get almost get 200 miles in a tank in mixed riding on a stock (ecu/exhaust) bike, one up. Of course riding style affect mpg. I've never run it until empty, but I wouldn't count on getting much over 200 miles even babying it.

Falcodave has some good points - if you don't think you'll change the modes much, the base model suspension is good and it will save you the potential headaches of the adjustable ohlins. I think the modes make more sense when the suspension changes as well, but I would probably be just as content with a base model bike, and then I would just leave it in sport mode. The rear brake basically sucks, not much more to say. The windshield issue can be a big problem. In the summer I use a cut down standard windshield, sort of a ghetto pikes peak variant, and when I want more protection I use a Palmer products bracket that gets the screen away from the bike a bit and allows adjustment of the angle. This has worked for me. Once again, endless discussion about this. I also cross shopped the KTM SMT and at the time I got my bike they did not offer it with ABS, and I wanted that for a street bike. It really is the only true competition, sort of a stripped down multistrada, lighter but with less power.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #3797
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcodave View Post
My 2011 base has never seen more than 150 miles on a tank no matter how i ride, combination of back road/highway (no dirt) but i've only taken it out of Sport mode for a total of 15 minutes through 10,000 miles.
I would probably have your ECU re-mapped. I have a full termi, bags, and other misc weight additions, and even when I'm in the mountains riding the piss out of my bike I still get at least 165 miles to a tank. Are you riding to near empty? Last bar blinking when you pull in to the fill station?

I've found 5th gear @ 55mph to be the sweet spot for fuel economy (if you can stand to ride it that slow). Above that the mpg's drop off pretty quick. Unless I'm doing 70mph+ I always seem to get better fuel economy in 5th gear so I rarely shift to 6 unless I'm on the freeway.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #3798
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
People that are posting milage, what gas are you putting in?

We can only get 10% ethanol blend here.

I saw about a 15-20% mpg drop off when the computer retuned to the new fuel on other bikes.

Also, I put in 93 octane when available.

I am getting 33mpg on average with a combo of urban and 80+ mph freeway blasting.

Mine is a touring so it has bags and is stock engine wise except the fatducs that were added during the current tank.
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #3799
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 944
Anybody try touring the slab in urban mode to boost economy and range?
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #3800
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Anybody try touring the slab in urban mode to boost economy and range?
I think what gear you are in is more important.

Throttle position should be about the same in the different modes and as far as I can tell from searching only the throttle rate/endpoint changes on different modes.
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #3801
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
Just maybe the very last hurdle before I commit is the cost of maintenance, been on BMW's for a long time and I'm curious as to how they'll compare. Any informed knowledge here????
I'll take a schwing at this one since I've owned both a GS and MTS12. The annual $$$ for routine maintenance was LESS on my MTS12 than on my GS. The main reason for this is the valve check interval. On the GS it was every 6k miles, on the MTS12 it's every 15k miles. By the time I was done with my second valve check on the GS (about $450 each time), I'd also done 2 oil services ($200+ each time). The MTS will run about $150-200 for an oil service at 7500 miles and then about $1000 for the "big" service at 15k miles.

Please note I'm just posting these costs as a relative comparison, because I know shop rates, etc. vary widely across the country and the world, so the absolute costs will also vary widely....but the relative GS - MTS12 costs should still be true.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #3802
BruceWA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I'll take a schwing at this one since I've owned both a GS and MTS12. The annual $$$ for routine maintenance was LESS on my MTS12 than on my GS. The main reason for this is the valve check interval. On the GS it was every 6k miles, on the MTS12 it's every 15k miles. By the time I was done with my second valve check on the GS (about $450 each time), I'd also done 2 oil services ($200+ each time). The MTS will run about $150-200 for an oil service at 7500 miles and then about $1000 for the "big" service at 15k miles.

Please note I'm just posting these costs as a relative comparison, because I know shop rates, etc. vary widely across the country and the world, so the absolute costs will also vary widely....but the relative GS - MTS12 costs should still be true.

-SM
This is what I was hoping to hear....maybe I'm just too enamored to make a judgment call. Sure do like what I see and I have one awaiting my call today for a yes! Or a no
Old 10-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #3803
falcodave
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Buy it, most fun you can have with your clothes on. More expensive to maintain than some, not as much as others, it's hopefully disposable income anyway. For fuel, i use either 91 or 93, seems like all are 10% ethanol. On the highway i typically cruise between 80-85 indicated, which is really only high 70's (8% overstatement on dash per programming). i don't think about fuel economy too much, rarely do more than a 250-mile day, more interested in a big smile being on tap instantly.
falcodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 AM   #3804
TuonoBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWA View Post
This is what I was hoping to hear....maybe I'm just too enamored to make a judgment call. Sure do like what I see and I have one awaiting my call today for a yes! Or a no
Maybe another thing to consider is if you can do any of the maintenance yourself. A lot of us change our own oil which saves quite a bit over dealer cost and on the GS, the valve checks are able to be done by most people...which would save even more...

Honestly, all the big contenders in the ADV world are going to run close to the same amount of money...at the end of the day, if you can afford 20 grand on a bike the small difference in maintenance cost should be the least of your concerns.
'07 Tuono Factory - gone but not forgotten
TuonoBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #3805
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuonoBiker View Post
Maybe another thing to consider is if you can do any of the maintenance yourself. A lot of us change our own oil which saves quite a bit over dealer cost and on the GS, the valve checks are able to be done by most people...which would save even more...

Honestly, all the big contenders in the ADV world are going to run close to the same amount of money...at the end of the day, if you can afford 20 grand on a bike the small difference in maintenance cost should be the least of your concerns.
I'm glad you mentioned this, Tuono, because if you didn't, I would have. In fairness, the valve job on a GS can be handled by many that can turn both a wrench and/or allen key.....it really is that easy and cost effective for the GS owner, and i'm sure one of the reasons why they're so popular with folks who like to work on their own motorcycles.

To Bruce, i don't think maintenance costs should be your biggest worry, but perhaps that of other more trying issues such as expanding fuel tanks (any MTS12) and now the coolant/head issue (primarily used bikes). This point goes to having an enjoyable ownership experience or not (also distance to dealership is important too). Like someone else here said, if you want to potentially save headaches/money down the road, and associated maintenance costs are an important factor to you, then buying the simplest of the two motorcycles might be in your best interest.

If i were to just own one (i've owned both concurrently and am about to once again), the GS would be the motorcycle left in the garage. Their level of refinement, fit/finish, and design carry great weight in my decision making. Having said that, and having said it since the first '10 MTS12 came out (which i was an owner of), the MTS12S is one of the best upright road riding bikes out there and i don't think any other bike in the segment comes close.

Best success,
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #3806
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
I acquired my 1200ST coming from a GS and all the things said here by way of comparison ring true to me although I don't know if the new GS will be as easy in respect to valve adjustment as the push rod bike was. The answer may already exist on the GSpot board, but I haven't looked. Routine maintenance, that is fluid changes, seems relatively humane on the Multi so apart from the unknowns about long term durability, I suspect it will even out in the end. No doubt the GS is more robust feeling, has great detail fit and finish and better switchgear; I get that sense whenever I ride the two in proximity, although the ride itself is nolo contendere. The Ducati is just more better that way.
I think the "plasticization" of modern bikes reduces the substantive differences and sense of quality I used to take for granted to a certain commonality that is disappointing, but along with that comes light weight and modern performance, and that's just the way it is.

The biggest plus for me is the MS's weight advantage. Even with the reduction of weight in the 2005 GS from the 1150s, the GS just feels big and heavy by comparison. I think the Ducati vs. BMW selection is a right brain/left brain deal and although there's no way to compare the new bikes just coming into the pipeline, if the family differences hold the Multistrada will continue to be the better riding experience. The GS was never an exciting bike for me; satisfying is more like the term I'd use, whereas the Ducati is exciting every day.

I had to come to terms with that and make my decision based on what I factored as a (potential) somewhat higher cost of ownership going in. If my experience proves me wrong, I'll be delighted. I have 700 miles on my bike now and just thinking about it makes me salivate (metaphorically). My GS never did that although this should not seem damning the GS with faint praise. It does a lot of things really wello; especially in touring mode where I consider it the best touring twin on the market for my use.

I have confidence that the new systems; skyhook, motor tweaks and the like will make a great bike even better for most people, but being a latecomer to the Series II, I was swayed by the Ohlins package which is, after all, something of a gold standard. My late build 2012 should be about as trouble free as this iteration gets. I'd expect the same of yours, should you opt to buy one.

By the way, I doubt VW has had much if any at all, input into the bikes now coming on the market. They only bought the company recently and way too late to effect much by way of engineering considerations on the new machine. I'd speculate that where their weigh might be felt for bikes currently in production is in financial and service support as the brand is greened, and I think it' a very good thing.

Pampero screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 12:21 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #3807
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I acquired my 1200ST coming from a GS and all the things said here by way of comparison ring true to me although I don't know if the new GS will be as easy in respect to valve adjustment as the push rod bike was. The answer may already exist on the GSpot board, but I haven't looked.
(ease of adjusting the valves on the upcoming water/air cooled motor will not differ from the current hexhead motor......i'm actually considering the purchase of an air-cooled one in the interim).

back to the regularly scheduled MTS12 programming....
Old 10-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #3808
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
(ease of adjusting the valves on the upcoming water/air cooled motor will not differ from the current hexhead motor......i'm actually considering the purchase of an air-cooled one in the interim).

back to the regularly scheduled MTS12 programming....
Not a surprise then given how so many GS owners prefer to do it themselves. I consider that a point in the GS' favor as those are valves I can and have done. I'm still well under spell of my new bike so I'm not looking at the moment but I enjoy a comforting, almost smug sense of confidence when cruising far from home on a GS that is unique to that bike.

I like the MS's demeanor though, and to repeat; it's way more fun to ride on a daily basis. I think Hexheads will be screaming deals sooner or later; would get an '11 or'12 myself.....Rallye livery for me, please.

Pampero screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 04:36 PM
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #3809
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I like the MS's demeanor though, and to repeat; it's way more fun to ride on a daily basis.
ZERO disagreement
Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3810
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
ZERO disagreement
Great minds and all that..........
Keeping yours then?