Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 05:11 PM   #3961
ten.98
...leave a trail

Oddometer: 51

So I did probably close to 75 miles in the dirt today with the TKC's and another 120 miles on pavement. They actually did really well in the dirt and sand and I was surprised at how streetable they were on the pavement. The 17" front wheel is still a huge limitation in the soft stuff, but hard pack and gravel it eats up like nothing else.

The group of guys I was riding with today are a little unbalanced and have somewhat of a death wish so I can tell you that these tire get squirrelly on the pavement above 120mph. Below that they were great, even leaning into corners around 90mph. You definitely can't lean them over near as far as PR3's or whatever other street only tires you might use, but they do a good job of telling you where the edge is before you reach it.

Most of the back roads we were on today were orange grove trails with pockets of deep sugar sand, and when you come up on those you're still gonna get some pretty good pucker factor if you enter in too fast, but on the D616's I used for the TLH I pretty much had to almost come to a complete stop before making any hard turns in the sand, where these allow you to carry a little speed.

The long sweeping dirt turns is where these really shine on the MTS, I used to always have to slow down a bit for fear of the front end stepping out, but you really feel planted with these, much easier to steer with the throttle on these than with other tires I've used before.

I've got about 6 hours worth of video I need to edit down, but once I'm done I'll post a short clip up so you can see what I was seeing. Between the TLH and today that's about all the dirt riding experience I have, so I'm sure a more seasoned rider could really tear it up with these.
ten.98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #3962
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
I'd like to try these sometime - any trouble fitting the front tire with respect to the fender and brake lines?
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #3963
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
MS with TKCs, now that's cool!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #3964
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post

Thats a good look!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #3965
ten.98
...leave a trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I'd like to try these sometime - any trouble fitting the front tire with respect to the fender and brake lines?
None at all. I'm pretty sure these were made specifically for the MTS (in this size).
Old 11-19-2012, 06:03 AM   #3966
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
It does look beastly. I have gone off in the other direction and fitted Pilot road 3's. Impressive tyre so far.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #3967
Doug Pirahna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
It does look beastly. I have gone off in the other direction and fitted Pilot road 3's. Impressive tyre so far.
I did recently too, love them.
Doug Pirahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:28 AM   #3968
cptapholmes
brake! No, TURN! No,

Oddometer: 4
Thumb helping me decide

Wow! Perfect timing! I recently sold the R1200GS that I have been riding for two years (before that a Ulysses) because I am overseas, and I have been pouring through the reviews to decide what bike I am going to purchase for myself when I return next Fall. I have been super impressed with the 2013 MTS reviews, and since most of my riding will be hardball or medium packed fire roads, I was considering. But MAN...the MTS draws such a strong, negative response from my buddies who are die-hard GS guys. The irony is that 95% never have their bikes in more dirt than is afforded by a well seasoned pot hole, so..."it is sports bike" "it can't handle any dirt". "wait for the new GS". But reading your post and seeing that there is real possibility for the Dirty Duc to live up to the promise...I may just make the switch. Keep the reviews coming!
Old 11-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #3969
ten.98
...leave a trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Yea, I bought a 2nd set of wheels just for the TKC's. I run PR3's as my primary and I will agree they are awesome.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #3970
ten.98
...leave a trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptapholmes View Post
....The irony is that 95% never have their bikes in more dirt than is afforded by a well seasoned pot hole, so..."it is sports bike" "it can't handle any dirt". "wait for the new GS".
Yea, it's actually pretty funny, I rode over to the DDS event with 3 guys on GS's. They had 2 different routes for the event, one that was all pavement, and one Adventure Route with dirt/sand/gravel and pavement. All three of the GS riders choose to do the all pavement route. Most of the guys doing the adventure route with me were on DR650's, KLR's and KTM 500's. There was one guy on a Triumph Tiger, and another on an older Vstrom, but I don't recall there being any GS's on the dirt route. I'll have to look through my video again.

And I'm not knocking the technical ability of the GS, but you're right that most people who buy them never seem to exercise that ability. Just like most Ducati sportbike riders have never dragged a knee around a corner.

Hilarious.

ten.98 screwed with this post 11-19-2012 at 09:21 AM
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #3971
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Yea, it's actually pretty funny, I rode over to the DDS event with 3 guys on GS's. They had 2 different routes for the event, one that was all pavement, and one Adventure Route with dirt/sand/gravel and pavement. All three of the GS riders choose to do the all pavement route. Most of the guys doing the adventure route with me were on DR650's, KLR's and KTM 500's. There was one guy on a Triumph Tiger, and another on an older Vstrom, but I don't recall there being any GS's on the dirt route. I'll have to look through my video again.

And I'm not knocking the technical ability of the GS, but you're right that most people who buy them never seem to exercise that ability. Just like most Ducati sportbike riders have never dragged a knee around a corner.

Hilarious.

That right there is funny, and is exactly the "poser persona" that is so rightly deserved by so many people (regardless of the brand they ride....but one seems to stand out ).

Good on ya for riding your bike any damn place you want, regardless of what it's "supposed to be able to do".

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #3972
Jeffn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Multi...orcev4exp=true

Not advocating this sale at all but is this a gift price or what??
Jeffn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3973
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffn View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Multi...orcev4exp=true

Not advocating this sale at all but is this a gift price or what??
That's the "basic" model that MSRP's for $16,995 and likely sold for around $14,995 new as dealers tried to get rid of them. He's added about $1k in luggage, but maybe that too was part of his deal. Assuming he paid $15k, and he's selling for $12k with less than 1k miles on the bike (why???), I'd say he's either loaded (can afford to take the $3k hit in < 1yr) or broke (and when the wife found out he bought a Ducati she kicked his ass out until he sells it!). Either way, yes, it's a good deal, but not a "gift".

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #3974
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,375
Quote:

Hilarious.
Maybe those three guys were the smartest of the bunch
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #3975
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,129
Quote:
Yea, it's actually pretty funny, I rode over to the DDS event with 3 guys on GS's...

---funny story deleted for bandwidth conservation---

Hilarious.
So how did them TKC-80s work out for ya? I've got a pair on order right now for MTS12S and I'm interested...

Thanks.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote