Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #4006
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Bring your wallet....and sellable body parts.....housing prices here are back to OMG levels.

-SM
It won't be San Francisco. Been there, done that....GTTS.

A nice shack north of Santa Rosa (where some of my family are) would do. We have some trade goods, probably enough to make it work out if we're not too greedy, and we don't need much.
I'm just talking out my ass anyway.

I lived in the Bay Area for ten of the best years of my life, but I don't need to be anywhere in particular as I don't need to earn a living anymore. We can maybe use that to some advantage. But apart from too many people, not enough water and the risk of devastating quakes (all of which we have here except for the water part) there is no better place than northern California especially if you love to ride and like the style, which we do. I would like to be able to ride on any given afternoon; your winters ain't bupkes compared to the crap we get for weather here.

There's a reason your RE is so expensive. It's worth it!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #4007
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
It won't be San Francisco. Been there, done that....GTTS.

A nice shack north of Santa Rosa (where some of my family are) would do. We have some trade goods, probably enough to make it work out if we're not too greedy, and we don't need much.
I'm just talking out my ass anyway.

I lived in the Bay Area for ten of the best years of my life, but I don't need to be anywhere in particular as I don't need to earn a living anymore. We can maybe use that to some advantage. But apart from too many people, not enough water and the risk of devastating quakes (all of which we have here except for the water part) there is no better place than northern California especially if you love to ride and like the style, which we do. I would like to be able to ride on any given afternoon; your winters ain't bupkes compared to the crap we get for weather here.

There's a reason your RE is so expensive. It's worth it!
Garberville perhaps ? Lol

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"

DockingPilot screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 07:03 PM
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #4008
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
Well done. How about connecting them to the accessory plug wiring. It's switched and rated for heated clothing.
Hooked 'em up today. I'm currently (ahem) running them from the battery with a 10a fuse - but did a check on the right rear 12v socket. Handy that you can just pull the connector and feed it back under the bodywork. It is switched with the ignition.
Question for anyone else who may have fitted grips. Can i just leave the - earth hooked up to the battery and connect the pos to the feed on the accessory socket?
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #4009
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
Well, in theory you should be ok leaving the ground to earth return (conventional electron theory) at the battery as the power socket should only be 'switched' by the can-bus or whatever Ducati calls it, so the 'load' ( heated grips) draws current from the supply system. If your grips work ok the circuit is complete. A fuse to protect for over current and you are done.
Of course someone might be along any second to prove why I am mistaken in my theory.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #4010
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Well, in theory you should be ok leaving the ground to earth return (conventional electron theory) at the battery as the power socket should only be 'switched' by the can-bus or whatever Ducati calls it, so the 'load' ( heated grips) draws current from the supply system. If your grips work ok the circuit is complete. A fuse to protect for over current and you are done.
Of course someone might be along any second to prove why I am mistaken in my theory.
Well, it's not an old Triumph with a positive earth. The rest of the world labels ground negative, which assumes the flow of positive charge carriers, not negatively charged electrons.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:07 PM   #4011
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
Garberville perhaps ? Lol
A bit too far north! Seriously though........have a daughter in Santa Rosa so somewhere up there would work, but I think not Santa Rosa. It's all just talk, but the war department would love to go back to California.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #4012
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Only question is the ground direct or switched?
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #4013
Andreazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcadd1ct View Post
Only question is the ground direct or switched?

In accordance with the electrical diagram, they are direct grounded. There are only two wires to each heater, and the black one can be traced back to the negative connection to the battery. The other wire goes into the instrument panel.
Andreazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #4014
Andreazz
Adventurer

New member from Norway saying hello Here is my 2012 Multistrada S Touring that I got in april. Riding season is over now, so the pictures from this summer is what keeping me alive

Old 11-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #4015
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Coming from Cyprus, i think i'd have a mental breakdown because my mind can't reconcile "summer" and "snow"

Nice pics , hope to come out that way soon.
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 AM   #4016
Andreazz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Coming from Cyprus, i think i'd have a mental breakdown because my mind can't reconcile "summer" and "snow"

Nice pics , hope to come out that way soon.
Hehe, I can see that But that was maybe not my best SUMMER pictures.. This is high up in the Norwegian mountains, almoust 1500meter above sea level.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:13 AM   #4017
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreazz View Post
In accordance with the electrical diagram, they are direct grounded. There are only two wires to each heater, and the black one can be traced back to the negative connection to the battery. The other wire goes into the instrument panel.
Well there ya go.

Thanks.
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #4018
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Well, it's not an old Triumph with a positive earth. The rest of the world labels ground negative, which assumes the flow of positive charge carriers, not negatively charged electrons.
It was originally thought that electrons flow from positive to negative. Benjamin Franklin proved that this was incorrect, electrons flow from negative to positive in fact but as we were so far down the road of having an agreed international standard for marking of battery terminals and other items it was decided that no change would be made but we would give the term, 'conventional' electron flow to what we all believed, and the reality was termed 'electron flow' to stop confusion.
Interesting innit
Old 11-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #4019
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
It was originally thought that electrons flow from positive to negative. Benjamin Franklin proved that this was incorrect, electrons flow from negative to positive in fact but as we were so far down the road of having an agreed international standard for marking of battery terminals and other items it was decided that no change would be made but we would give the term, 'conventional' electron flow to what we all believed, and the reality was termed 'electron flow' to stop confusion.
Interesting innit
Technically, the Brits have it right with + earth on vintage Triumphs and the like. It reminds me of when then Pres. Johnson revealed to the public the SR-71. Lockheed actually named the plane RS-71, but didn't correct him to avoid embarrassment.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #4020
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanman View Post
Technically, the Brits have it right with + earth on vintage Triumphs and the like. It reminds me of when then Pres. Johnson revealed to the public the SR-71. Lockheed actually named the plane RS-71, but didn't correct him to avoid embarrassment.
This is why I love this forum. I didn't know that.