Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #4111
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by ten.98 View Post
So the theory being that for some reason front LED turn signals are fine, but rear LED is just a bridge too far? I don't buy it. They're everywhere in cars.
Maybe because in cars, they have much greater surface area?

I don't know for sure, but I have yet to see an LED turn indicator on a motorcycle that is as bright and as effective as its incandescent counterpart.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:31 AM   #4112
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post

Pesonally I'm interested in the manually adjustable shock

You might find something interesting at this link on Dan Kyle's site.

But before you order, perhaps check this Ohlins Sale link here at Vendors.

For the guff on Ohlins' mooted front and rear electronic offering, click here.

Yes, these are interesting days for current and prospective owners of the Multi base.

(Mind you, that Skyhook stuff looks fascinating also.)

Italian Ohlins importer Andreani group and suspension builder Matris do replacement spring-damper units for the Multi's 50mm 'Zokes.

Love to hear how well it all works.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #4113
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
Off Road- Really?i

I think I've read every post and have seen the occasional video of off pavement riding, but I still have doubts about the suitability of the Multi off road. It has so much plastic it just looks fragile.

How well do the crash bars protect?

Are the wide tires a help or hindrance?

Would you take yours to Alaska knowing there is always construction, mud, etc? Assuming you did and switched to knobbies would you venture to Prodhoe Bay, etc. anyone actually done it?
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #4114
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post
I think I've read every post and have seen the occasional video of off pavement riding, but I still have doubts about the suitability of the Multi off road. It has so much plastic it just looks fragile.

Would you take yours to Alaska knowing there is always construction, mud, etc? Assuming you did and switched to knobbies would you venture to Prodhoe Bay, etc. anyone actually done it?
Sure, I'd take mine to Alaska. Like any bike, put armor on it (engine crash bars, header guard, panniers to hold your crap and protect the arse end, real hand guards, etc), good rubber (Conti is now shipping the tKC 80s for it), and go. Not sure why it would be any more/less brittle than any other big trailie since they all have plastic tank shrouds, plastic bits around the pannier mounts, etc. Bring along a Rotopax (or two) if you're going to Prudhoe Bay just to be safe .

Re. mud and tire size, some will say wider is better (float on top of it), some will say skinnier is better (dig down to solid ground). Bottom line is mud sucks when you've only got 2 wheels under you. Skill (and a bit of luck) matters WAY more than tire width.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #4115
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Sure, I'd take mine to Alaska. Like any bike, put armor on it (engine crash bars, header guard, panniers to hold your crap and protect the arse end, real hand guards, etc), good rubber (Conti is now shipping the tKC 80s for it), and go. Not sure why it would be any more/less brittle than any other big trailie since they all have plastic tank shrouds, plastic bits around the pannier mounts, etc. Bring along a Rotopax (or two) if you're going to Prudhoe Bay just to be safe .

Re. mud and tire size, some will say wider is better (float on top of it), some will say skinnier is better (dig down to solid ground). Bottom line is mud sucks when you've only got 2 wheels under you. Skill (and a bit of luck) matters WAY more than tire width.

-SM

I find it amusing how many people say these things about Ducatis implying that they are trophies and should be coddled, polished daily with a clean dry cloth and only ridden on Sundays in full sun and in view of the public. Well I say go ride it!! If you fall down, pick it back up if it gets dirty, wash it

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #4116
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
I find it amusing how many people say these things about Ducatis implying that they are trophies and should be coddled, polished daily with a clean dry cloth and only ridden on Sundays in full sun and in view of the public. Well I say go ride it!! If you fall down, pick it back up if it gets dirty, wash it
People ride Harleys and Goldwings to Alaska why wouldn't you take a Multi up there? As stated, it's a bike, ride it.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #4117
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Wait until you drop it .......$$$$
Old 12-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #4118
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,343
Have any of you used CRG shorty levers and what do you think of them on the Multi ?

Any difference in feel when downshifting into a turn ?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #4119
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Riding a 2013 Granturismo to Alaska in June!

I hope the multi is tough because I am going to ride my 2013 GranTurismo to Prudhoe Bay in June 2013.

I have no doubts about it making the trip. I may doubt myself but I'm sure it will be fine. I know it will get a little battered and bruised but I cannot think of a ride I would rather be on.

I have a 2008 Ducati 1098 that has never given me a problem in 5 years. I ride it very hard.

By the way, I have the CRG shortys on my 1098 and love them. I can adjust them to fit my short fingers perfectly. They are one of the best accesories I have put on it.
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #4120
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Thanks to all who replied to my Alaska/off road question. I just sold my well experienced 1200GS specifically to buy a 2013 Multiple. Now almost everyone I talk to, including those whose opinion re: motos I respect, are saying don't even think about taking it off pavement. They acknowledge almost any bike is capable of riding almost anywhere but sometimes at great cost. Both to bike and rider. It is after all a sport bike albeit with an "enduro" setting so say they.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #4121
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied to my Alaska/off road question. I just sold my well experienced 1200GS specifically to buy a 2013 Multiple. Now almost everyone I talk to, including those whose opinion re: motos I respect, are saying don't even think about taking it off pavement. They acknowledge almost any bike is capable of riding almost anywhere but sometimes at great cost. Both to bike and rider. It is after all a sport bike albeit with an "enduro" setting so say they.
I would only "respect" their opinions if those riders rode Mutleys off-road. Otherwise, they're just blowing hot air. I've ridden mine on dirt/gravel roads just like the ones you'll find up in AK (minus the nasty, snotty calcium chloride muck that forms when it rains) and it does just fine. The suspension is certainly up to the task, as is the power delivery of the motor (in 100HP mode ). Now that some real knobs for the wheels are available, I just don't see their cries of doom and gloom. Keep in mind that my background is dirt, not street, so maybe these prognosticators of doom that you're listening to are primarily tarmac guys. Just sayin'.....

-SM
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #4122
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,385
Quote:
I would only "respect" their opinions if those riders rode Mutleys off-road. Otherwise, they're just blowing hot air. I've ridden mine on dirt/gravel roads just like the ones you'll find up in AK (minus the nasty, snotty calcium chloride muck that forms when it rains) and it does just fine. The suspension is certainly up to the task, as is the power delivery of the motor (in 100HP mode ). Now that some real knobs for the wheels are available, I just don't see their cries of doom and gloom. Keep in mind that my background is dirt, not street, so maybe these prognosticators of doom that you're listening to are primarily tarmac guys. Just sayin'.....

-SM
I agree. But then again, I learned to ride on dirt first which I find easier than riding on pavement. Pavement, when riding on the edge may be unforgiven, while on dirt it is not. But I digress.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #4123
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Quote:

-SM
Again, thanks Sock Monkey. They are all BMW GS riders as I was. I have no intention of taking the MS where I took the 1200. Hindsight shows I shouldn't have taken the GS there either. Both bike and I have the scars to prove it.

So, decision made.

Now come the farkles! What suggestion for bash plate and engine guards, etc. I plan on the touring model, although tempted to wait for the GT. For the Alaska trip I may replace the Ducati panniers with my existing TT ZegaPros. Won't look as sharp but they come pre-scratched.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 AM   #4124
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
You might find something interesting at this link on Dan Kyle's site.

But before you order, perhaps check this Ohlins Sale link here at Vendors.

For the guff on Ohlins' mooted front and rear electronic offering, click here.

Yes, these are interesting days for current and prospective owners of the Multi base.

(Mind you, that Skyhook stuff looks fascinating also.)

Italian Ohlins importer Andreani group and suspension builder Matris do replacement spring-damper units for the Multi's 50mm 'Zokes.

Love to hear how well it all works.
Thanks for this post! One of the most helpfull ever. I'm going to contact Dan about the ohlins shock and other Ohlins offerings now available for the MTS!

Really appreciate it.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #4125
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Again, thanks Sock Monkey. They are all BMW GS riders as I was. I have no intention of taking the MS where I took the 1200. Hindsight shows I shouldn't have taken the GS there either. Both bike and I have the scars to prove it.

So, decision made.

Now come the farkles! What suggestion for bash plate and engine guards, etc. I plan on the touring model, although tempted to wait for the GT. For the Alaska trip I may replace the Ducati panniers with my existing TT ZegaPros. Won't look as sharp but they come pre-scratched.
No worries HH.

I have the SW Motech header guard with stock bash plate. The stock plate(s) are pretty thick, but if you plan on smashing through rock gardens, you'll want something more appropriate for that kind of abuse.

Re. engine bars, I've heard the Alt Riders have an attach point at the radiator that puts stress there in a crash, and a tip-over with them that would normally not even touch the rad has been shown to tweak it. As a result, I'd shy away from them and go with the DP bars (since you're getting a '13 there's no worries about them fitting....they won't fit my '10 ) or the SW Motech bars. And yes yes yes, remove the Ducati side cases and put something more robust on there for serious off-road work. The Ducati cases look great, but won't take the abuse and will look like total shite in no time with a few drops (assuming they stay attached to the bike ). My plan was to go with SW Motech pannier mounts and then just use my Wolfman Expedition Dry bags using the little ring adapters that Wolfman sells. I prefer soft bags when pounding offroad and the Wolfman gear works great on my WRR. A set of RG case savers is also a good idea (particularly the left side to protect the water pump!), and IMO it's mandatory to do something about the hand guards. I went a little nuts there and replaced mine with Touratechs, then got the DP mirrors with integrated turn signals. Expensive solution, but it looked better to my eye than bolting Barkbusters in front of the stock hand guards (which is by far your most economical solution). Do yourself a favor and get a FendaExtenda (or make your own mud flap out of any bit of plastic you can find) before heading to Alaska. Keeping 10 lbs of muck off the front cylinder, header, etc., is worth a little "agricultural" look to the bike.

-SM