Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #4126
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

IMO it's mandatory to do something about the hand guards. I went a little nuts there and replaced mine with Touratechs, then got the DP mirrors with integrated turn signals. Expensive solution, but it looked better to my eye than bolting Barkbusters in front of the stock hand guards

-SM

Have you got pictures of this some where?

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #4127
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Have you got pictures of this some where?
I did a write up and have pics here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010...installed.html

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #4128
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I did a write up and have pics here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010...installed.html

-SM
Thanks!

thats a good looking set up...

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #4129
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 11,902
I was wanting a Super Tenere, but, after checking out the new Multistrada 1200S with the Skyhook suspension, I must say, I'm in love and this is a motorcycle that I now desire.

The price is a bit steep. I was wondering form those of you who own one, is it worth it?
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #4130
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
Heard a cool rumor, as least it's cool for those of us with standard / base MTS. Ohlins will now make available manually adjustable shocks for the MTS. I also heard that Ohlins will also possibly make available an electronic shock and fork kit for the MTS which includes an ECU.

All this is due to fallout / chaning of S / Touring suspension from Ohlins to Skyhook. At least there's a benefit for us early adopters.

Pesonally I'm interested in the manually adjustable shock and even better a manually adjustable fron fork set. I'd be in heaven with both.

Come on Ohlins! There's only a few of us, but we're here and some of us are willing.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #4131
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
Sock Monkey is a wealth of information. Thanks to him for sharing. I would not have thought of RG Case guards.

As to panniers I'm probably going to mount my TT Zegas when off road. But I'm looking at the new Kriega set up also.
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #4132
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
I was wanting a Super Tenere, but, after checking out the new Multistrada 1200S with the Skyhook suspension, I must say, I'm in love and this is a motorcycle that I now desire.

The price is a bit steep. I was wondering form those of you who own one, is it worth it?
I have a 2010 Sport with the Ohlins. Awesome machine. Light, fast, agile, comfortable, FUN. Expensive, yes, but none of the bikes in the 1200 adventure class are cheap.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #4133
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:

This is a great question. Let's dissect the competition and see where we end up.....

Tenere and Tiger Ex are about $15k MSRP. BMW GS is about $16k. If you want the full monty MTS12, that means Ohlins/Skysnorfle, ie. DES (Ducati Electronic Suspension). MSRP is $20k. Go price E-Ohlins....oh wait, you can't. Last I checked, they don't sell the TTX E-suspenders over-the-counter. The closest you can come is plain Jane TTX (yawn), and the full front/rear combo will run you around $4k. Woops. That's got the BMW at $20k already. Let's see.....what "value" do you put on 150HP? How much dickin' can you do with any of the others to reach that? $2k? $4k? And weight. 420lbs dry (about 500 road ready). How much sh*t do you have to pull off these other bikes to reach that? Tenere? Forget it, never happen. TigEx? Again, never happen. BMW? It could come close with an aftermarket can, but not sure anything else can come off. Toss in slipper clutch, ABS, riding modes, all integrated together in a cohesive package, and just from a pure economics standpoint, the Ducati is no more expensive than the others when similarly equipped, and may even be less. Don't want the spendy boingers? Fine, get the standard for $17k.

Bottom line, IMO, is there are 3 things people always want to change on their bike at some point. 1) more power. 2) better suspension. 3) less weight. The Ducati MTS12 w/ DES is already as good as it gets in all of these areas. Buy it and ride the wheels off it.

-SM
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #4134
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,381
Jub Jub, you should buy Sock Monkey's MTS12s...it's still for sale!

As for the Ohlins TTX ESA for the GS, i believe the kit to be much closer to $3,200 than $4k unless we're speaking about two different ESA type kits. Just to be clear of course.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:30 AM   #4135
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
Or, Jub Jub, you can jump ahead one bike and get the Super Tenere. I owned the Multi12 for 13 months and now enjoying the Super Tenere.

Or, you can jump ahead another notch and take a look at the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, even heavier than the Super Tenere but brings lots of great riding, especially if you like DIY like I do. Nothing ever breaks on the Super T, so you may get bored in that respect.

The Multi12 will have less wind protection and go lots faster, hmmm. Your will power will be tested every ride.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #4136
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

Best bike I've ever owned. Character, charm, muscle, and it's super comfy. I've done it all on my bike. She has a wide range of talents. From trackdays to 1k+ mile days she's never disappointed.

These are all my pics. Hope my experience helps you decide if this it the bike for you.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #4137
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Or, Jub Jub, you can jump ahead one bike and get the Super Tenere. I owned the Multi12 for 13 months and now enjoying the Super Tenere.

Or, you can jump ahead another notch and take a look at the Moto Guzzi Stelvio, even heavier than the Super Tenere but brings lots of great riding, especially if you like DIY like I do. Nothing ever breaks on the Super T, so you may get bored in that respect.

The Multi12 will have less wind protection and go lots faster, hmmm. Your will power will be tested every ride.
So what brought you over to the dark side? Let me guess, expanding gas tank?
Old 12-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #4138
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GREG- View Post
Best bike I've ever owned. Character, charm, muscle, and it's super comfy. I've done it all on my bike. She has a wide range of talents. From trackdays to 1k+ mile days she's never disappointed.

These are all my pics. Hope my experience helps you decide if this it the bike for you.

The looks of the bike would sell me alone. This will be a tough decision.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #4139
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GREG- View Post

And having visited Greg in his native environment (hey, us Multi-owning "Gregs" stick together) I can attest that those pics of his are all for real!

Yeah, I wish the MTS1200S were a little lighter, and a little lower, but---after riding pretty much all the competition---it is still my top choice in this genre.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #4140
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
As for the Ohlins TTX ESA for the GS, i believe the kit to be much closer to $3,200 than $4k unless we're speaking about two different ESA type kits. Just to be clear of course.
You are likely correct. I only priced the kit with forks/mono-shock, not the BMW kit, which is essentially 2 mono-shocks and is likely cheaper as you say. Still, you'll be at $20k+ with the BMW and never get close to the performance of the Multi, so I stand by my somewhat-tongue-in-cheek commentary.....

-SM