Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #4141
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
You are likely correct. I only priced the kit with forks/mono-shock, not the BMW kit, which is essentially 2 mono-shocks and is likely cheaper as you say. Still, you'll be at $20k+ with the BMW and never get close to the performance of the Multi, so I stand by my somewhat-tongue-in-cheek commentary.....

-SM

pretty certain that i am...as for the rest, you are correct; no upright bike in production today can touch the MTS12s from a performance standpoint (speed and handling), but the competition wins in other departments which is worth something too
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4142
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
So what brought you over to the dark side? Let me guess, expanding gas tank?
Actually it was the fuel tank, but not because it was expanding. The side plastic panels, has some screws that are anchored with nuts embedded in the ABS tank. The nuts spun and the dealer had to destroy the side panels to replace the tank. Out of commission for 3 weeks even tho they had the tank in stock, panels had to be ordered.

Bottom line, I had a trip planned to Alaska, and I lost confidence in the Multi12 long distance. But I have still missed it on occasion, can not justify 2 bikes. Tank range was another factor, the extra range did come into play on the trip to Alaska.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #4143
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GREG- View Post
Best bike I've ever owned. Character, charm, muscle, and it's super comfy. I've done it all on my bike. She has a wide range of talents. From trackdays to 1k+ mile days she's never disappointed.

These are all my pics. Hope my experience helps you decide if this it the bike for you.

That is a beautiful bike. Looks allergic to dirt.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #4144
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
No No. There is a bit a road grime on the back wheel if you look closely.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #4145
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Actually it was the fuel tank, but not because it was expanding. The side plastic panels, has some screws that are anchored with nuts embedded in the ABS tank. The nuts spun and the dealer had to destroy the side panels to replace the tank. Out of commission for 3 weeks even tho they had the tank in stock, panels had to be ordered.

Bottom line, I had a trip planned to Alaska, and I lost confidence in the Multi12 long distance. But I have still missed it on occasion, can not justify 2 bikes. Tank range was another factor, the extra range did come into play on the trip to Alaska.
Actually, the tank expanding is what caused the nuts to spin. DAMHIK....

But but but.....you lost confidence in the MTS12 because your dealer broke your tank panels? Any dealer that would knowingly break something on a bike without having the replacement part on hand should be flogged....or was it an emergency and there was a little baby bird trapped under the tank and it was going "cheep cheep cheep" with it's dying breath and they just HAD to get it out....

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #4146
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
...or was it an emergency and there was a little baby bird trapped under the tank and it was going "cheep cheep cheep" with it's dying breath and they just HAD to get it out....

-SM
That's what the service manager always used to tell me about why he missed changing the oil filter

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:17 PM   #4147
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
In respect to cost I found the MTS less money than the GS similarly equipped, though I think you could make an argument that the GS's panniers are worth more money

I was quoted $22K OTD on a loaded Rallye Edition (that's how they come anyway), ABS, ESA, bags, etc. I got the Multi for a couple grand less than that OTD. Had I paid list, the difference in price would not have been worth arguing over, perhaps amounting to a couple of hundred busks in favor of the Multi. The number probably look better for a standard GS, but they are both of a class in my opinion. Am I missing something?
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM   #4148
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
No No. There is a bit a road grime on the back wheel if you look closely.
Still ain't dirt.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #4149
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Quote:
Actually, the tank expanding is what caused the nuts to spin. DAMHIK....

But but but.....you lost confidence in the MTS12 because your dealer broke your tank panels? Any dealer that would knowingly break something on a bike without having the replacement part on hand should be flogged....or was it an emergency and there was a little baby bird trapped under the tank and it was going "cheep cheep cheep" with it's dying breath and they just HAD to get it out....

-SM
I lost confidence, because of being unable to DIY install of mirrors with turn signals so I could replace the flimsy and now broken handguards. I had to take it in, as I could not get the panels off. Red thread locker applied at the factory. The turn signals plug in behind the airbox which is under the tank along with the heated grips plug.

I could have gotten kit to replace the embedded nuts (they glue into pockets on the tank), but the bike was under warranty, so I took to dealer. 200+ miles away and working under a 2 week backlog of work. 2 trips, over 3 weeks.

Now I am just talking about what happened to my bike, I will not mention what is going on with some others. I think you all know what I am talking about. Like BMW, the DUC comes with some dealer help required and extended warranty is recommended. My S10 has been out of warranty since July 27th. Hmmmm.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #4150
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
In respect to cost I found the MTS less money than the GS similarly equipped, though I think you could make an argument that the GS's panniers are worth more money

I was quoted $22K OTD on a loaded Rallye Edition (that's how they come anyway), ABS, ESA, bags, etc. I got the Multi for a couple grand less than that OTD. Had I paid list, the difference in price would not have been worth arguing over, perhaps amounting to a couple of hundred busks in favor of the Multi. The number probably look better for a standard GS, but they are both of a class in my opinion. Am I missing something?
Removing the drama, a similarly equipped GS (forget the Rally which is higher in cost due to the paint) comes in around $18,200, a MTS12st around $18,900 (subtracted $1k for the cost of the panniers). Both have electronic suspensions, ABS, heated grips, center stands, and hand guards.

One goes faster and handles better than the other. One I personally have a lot more confidence in.

Buy whatever bike suits you and your riding needs best.
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #4151
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
B

NO way I got that sort of trackday lean on when I took mine to the track. Too many 'shit how much are these plastics' thoughts in my head. :)

Great shots.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #4152
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Best bike I've ever owned. Character, charm, muscle, and it's super comfy. I've done it all on my bike. She has a wide range of talents. From trackdays to 1k+ mile days she's never disappointed.
Nice pics!

What seat bag is this?

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #4153
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,483
All you had to do was cut the wires and re-connect again. Easy, you would have no issue with fairings and would still enjoy the Multi.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I lost confidence, because of being unable to DIY install of mirrors with turn signals so I could replace the flimsy and now broken handguards. I had to take it in, as I could not get the panels off. Red thread locker applied at the factory. The turn signals plug in behind the airbox which is under the tank along with the heated grips plug.

I could have gotten kit to replace the embedded nuts (they glue into pockets on the tank), but the bike was under warranty, so I took to dealer. 200+ miles away and working under a 2 week backlog of work. 2 trips, over 3 weeks.

Now I am just talking about what happened to my bike, I will not mention what is going on with some others. I think you all know what I am talking about. Like BMW, the DUC comes with some dealer help required and extended warranty is recommended. My S10 has been out of warranty since July 27th. Hmmmm.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #4154
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

True, but new bike, still under warranty, once you cross that line, you will keep it. Most people buying used want the bike stock.

Anyway, that was a 2010, I have a friend with 2012, no thread locker on the screws now.

I may have another Multi12, who knows. My wife said it was the most comfortable 2up. I will wait and listen to the beta testers of the new engine. No way they can mess up the suspension, it was great!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #4155
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
2012 here and thread locker or something keeping the skin around the fuel filler stuck on.

Front left screw spins.....and yes it was the last one I needed to remove to access the fuel door hoses.
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote