Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #4156
Andreazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcadd1ct View Post
2012 here and thread locker or something keeping the skin around the fuel filler stuck on.

Front left screw spins.....and yes it was the last one I needed to remove to access the fuel door hoses.
I think Ducati stopped pouring red locktite on the 2012`s? I have taken of a lot of parts on my april 2012 produced bike, and nothing have ever seized up! Having also done some work on a 11`Strada, and can certainly tell that that bike had a lot of red locktite, broke one of the three screws holding the rear mudgard for example..

Regarding the heated grips and turn signal connectors under the tank, I think that this is a good idea! Having almoust all the connectors hidden from the environments is clever on a bike like this
Andreazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #4157
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreazz View Post
Regarding the heated grips and turn signal connectors under the tank, I think that this is a good idea! Having almoust all the connectors hidden from the environments is clever on a bike like this
After taking my tank off several times to install (then remove when it failed) the hands-free fuel cap, again to install heated grips, and yet again to install the DP mirrors with integrated turn signals (I got good at it, but it still took 3hrs each time), I would have preferred that they use sealed connectors and left them more accessible.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #4158
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:

my comment here is that it's not so fun when you have to gain access to them, and on the flip-side, it's one of the things i enjoy most about performing general maintenance or installing mods on my GS....it's easy to.

the GS has been in production for a long time, i don't know that turn signals or wired gps units have suffered due to the wiring/connections not being under cover.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #4159
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
I have a 2012 Pikes Peak. Has loctite on these. My friend and I were doing the heat grips installation a month ago. No problems removing the fairings whatsoever.

Quote:
I think Ducati stopped pouring red locktite on the 2012`s? I have taken of a lot of parts on my april 2012 produced bike, and nothing have ever seized up! Having also done some work on a 11`Strada, and can certainly tell that that bike had a lot of red locktite, broke one of the three screws holding the rear mudgard for example..

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #4160
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
That is a beautiful bike. Looks allergic to dirt.
My wallet is more allergic than the bike. lol
Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #4161
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
NO way I got that sort of trackday lean on when I took mine to the track. Too many 'shit how much are these plastics' thoughts in my head. :)

Great shots.
Thanks expatbrit!! The Mutley hurt a lot of feelings that day at the track. It was a blast and the only thing holding it back was the lack of ground clearance.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #4162
-GREG-
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmelby View Post
Nice pics!

What seat bag is this?

cheers,
melby
That's a generic magnetic tank bag. I tucked the magnets under the seat and strapped them together with a with a bungee cord. I looked and looked for a seat bag for the rear. No luck, so I made my own.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #4163
Rcadd1ct
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
everybody also needs to check to make sure the braided oil cooler lines are in their clamp and the clamp is in the bracket.

The clamp was out of the bracket on mine and only has 1200 miles on it, but that was long enough for the lines to rub the radiator.

If it had gone undetected I am guessing the radiator would have had a hole rubbed in it.
Rcadd1ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #4164
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
I have a 2012 Pikes Peak. Has loctite on these. My friend and I were doing the heat grips installation a month ago. No problems removing the fairings whatsoever.
My bike, an April 2012, also seems to have thread lock (red) on many of the small fasteners. They back out with a crack the first time you remove them. I re-installed them torqued to spec without any loctite but have had no trouble removing any panels on the bike. It's possible something changed, I'd have no way to know, but it seems to me that they are still using something on the fasteners; maybe it's just not as aggressive.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #4165
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
I'm about to test Multistrada's off road capabilities - heading out for 5 day Baja exploration. My friend is riding R1200GS, he thinks Multi will be the limiting factor. I will try to prove him wrong. I think it's all about the rider

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #4166
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
I'm about to test Multistrada's off road capabilities - heading out for 5 day Baja exploration. My friend is riding R1200GS, he thinks Multi will be the limiting factor. I will try to prove him wrong. I think it's all about the rider
Give em hell!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #4167
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Keep us posted. I bet the multistrada will do fine. Are you reporting this trip some place here (here meaning advrider site)?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #4168
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdog53 View Post
Give em hell!!
+1!

Remember to be a good riding partner and wait for your buddy at turn offs....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #4169
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Have a great ride. It's been thirty years since I ran Baja, but it was one of the best rides of my life. Feliz Navidad!
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #4170
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,149
Quote:
You should have the advantage, I would imagine. Give em Hell!
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote