Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #4201
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post
Cloudy, misty and cold all day. Finally couldn't stand it and donned heated gear and rode. Only about 30 miles but formed some opinions. Should be able to get about 200 miles tomorrow to solidify thoughts enough to report. Hint, this bike is not for sale!
Great start.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #4202
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
Actually it was the fuel tank, but not because it was expanding. The side plastic panels, has some screws that are anchored with nuts embedded in the ABS tank. The nuts spun and the dealer had to destroy the side panels to replace the tank. Out of commission for 3 weeks even tho they had the tank in stock, panels had to be ordered.

Bottom line, I had a trip planned to Alaska, and I lost confidence in the Multi12 long distance. But I have still missed it on occasion, can not justify 2 bikes. Tank range was another factor, the extra range did come into play on the trip to Alaska.
I had the same issue when I changed my black panels for the PP panels.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:55 AM   #4203
Andreazz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
So I went to the Ducati dealer and said " it wasn't under my tree, do you have my Multi?" I hadn't preordered or anything but he began telling me that he had notification of shipment from Italy but had no idea where the bikes were or when they would arrive. As I'm leaving an 18 wheeler pulls up. Wait, he says he may have them. Two crates were unloaded, both Multis. Both silver. After careful consideration I chose the silver one.

Congratulations with your new Skyhook Multistrada
Andreazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #4204
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
1st 300 miles- Ride Report

wow!
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #4205
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

1st 300 miles, Report- Suspension

Obviously this bike has a first rate suspension. However, I didn't notice the "Sky Hook" phenomenon. I even tried going over a speed bump at speed. It knocked me off the seat. I rode over many county roads that had been repaired numerous times. The ride was what you would expect from any high end suspension.

I did theses roads in all modes. Interestingly the Urban road was the smoothest. If I was going to spend the afternoon exploring remote country roads, smelling the flowers, etc. I think this would be the best mode. Especially two up.

One other thing, and this may be Sky Hook at work. There was a section that became washboard gravel for about 1/2 mile. My BMW K1200RS always needed to slow down and still was unstable. The BMW GS never had any trouble but did chatter on the washboard (unless I manually adjusted the rebound which for just a 1/2 mile I never did) the Multi in Touring mode just ate it up. I then repeated that section in Enduro mode and did not notice a great difference.

So I'm thinking Sky Hook really adjusts for quick changing road conditions. I'm going to continue to play with the settings in each mode. The manual is a bit vague on Sky Hook settings.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 AM   #4206
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

1st 300 miles, Ride Report- Power Train

This is my first experience with a slipper clutch. What a wonderful thing. Makes downshifting such a smooth operation.

The gears shift easily and I had no issues with "false neutrals". Finding neutral at times was an issue. At a standstill, I couldn't get to neutral from second. I'd have to go up from first and then very gently. Having said that, there were three times that I was slowing for a four way stop with no intention of coming to a complete, feet down, stop. I was downshifting gently with no power and it didn't go into first but i thought it had. It certainly gets your attention as you are virtually stopped and giving it gas only gets you engine revving noises. I don't consider this a false neutral. Just be aware that you need to make a firm action between 2nd and 1st. Unless, of course, you want to go to neutral. Then you can't find it. May have something to do with moving vs. a standstill. Not a big issue, will go away as I get familiar more.

Low speed operations are much improved. When I test rode the 2012, I couldn't go thru a school zone with out feathering the clutch. Now, in first gear at idle the bike will happily chug along at 8mph. Make no mistake...the engine still is not happy until over 3,000 rpm and really prefers at least 4,000. 70 mph is a choice between 5th or 6th gear. 5th is peppy and 6th is lugging just a bit.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #4207
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
This is my first experience with a slipper clutch. What a wonderful thing. Makes downshifting such a smooth operation.

The gears shift easily and I had no issues with "false neutrals". Finding neutral at times was an issue. At a standstill, I couldn't get to neutral from second. I'd have to go up from first and then very gently. Having said that, there were three times that I was slowing for a four way stop with no intention of coming to a complete, feet down, stop. I was downshifting gently with no power and it didn't go into first but i thought it had. It certainly gets your attention as you are virtually stopped and giving it gas only gets you engine revving noises. I don't consider this a false neutral. Just be aware that you need to make a firm action between 2nd and 1st. Unless, of course, you want to go to neutral. Then you can't find it. May have something to do with moving vs. a standstill. Not a big issue, will go away as I get familiar more.

Low speed operations are much improved. When I test rode the 2012, I couldn't go thru a school zone with out feathering the clutch. Now, in first gear at idle the bike will happily chug along at 8mph. Make no mistake...the engine still is not happy until over 3,000 rpm and really prefers at least 4,000. 70 mph is a choice between 5th or 6th gear. 5th is peppy and 6th is lugging just a bit.
The not quite happy below 3,000 rpm and the 70mph 5th or 6th means it still has the same gear ratio as before. But it seems it won't be "hunting" at low revs, low speeds. Great.

The neutral thing, I bet it will go away both in terms of your experience with it and when things loosen up a bit.

Thanks for the reports, really appreciate it.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 12-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #4208
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:

Between what the journalists who described it during the Bilbao presentation of this bike and what you describe here, it seems the 4 in 1 bike got a bit muddled with Skyhook. I remember one journalist saying that he would leave it at Touring mode, so that he could get a better operation of Skyhook. But in the end, I think you could program Skyhook to be on its softer mode for all modes (enduro, urban, touring and even sport). Because once speed goes up, Skyhook will firm things up enough to operate similar to sport mode anyway.

I guess there is much to learn about this.

I'd rather be riding!

Old 12-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #4209
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Hey Hap

You had me @

wow!
tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #4210
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Tony,

I'm not an expert but I think we'll both be glad we waited for the 2013s.

I feel for you though. I lived in upstate NY for a while. There will be no riding for you anytime soon.

Hap
Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #4211
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Tony,

I'm not an expert but I think we'll both be glad we waited for the 2013s.

I feel for you though. I lived in upstate NY for a while. There will be no riding for you anytime soon.

Hap
I'm afraid you're right :-(

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #4212
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Italian logic??

The speedometer is purposely set 5 % high. I don't understand. When I rode in Italy the drivers treated speed limits and stop signs as suggestion at best. Protecting ourselves from ourselves? So at a true 60 mph the speedo reads 63. I usually ride at 10% over. I'm thinking that 70 indicated gives me about 66.

The turn signals self cancel after about a 1/2 mile. Very good feature. However if you go over 50mph it won't cancel. Can anyone explain the logic behind that?
Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #4213
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
The speedometer is purposely set 5 % high. I don't understand. When I rode in Italy the drivers treated speed limits and stop signs as suggestion at best. Protecting ourselves from ourselves? So at a true 60 mph the speedo reads 63. I usually ride at 10% over. I'm thinking that 70 indicated gives me about 66.

The turn signals self cancel after about a 1/2 mile. Very good feature. However if you go over 50mph it won't cancel. Can anyone explain the logic behind that?
City vs Highway?

I'd rather be riding!

Old 12-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #4214
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Can anyone explain the logic behind that?
Italian....logic....BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Makes no sense to me Hap, but I suspect Lion is correct and some rocket scientist at Ducati figured that if you're going down the highway, it's fine to have your signal on for miles and miles.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #4215
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 652
A lot of car's speedos are this way too. I think its done to keep you "safer". Not sure that works when you are texting and driving though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Italian....logic....BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Makes no sense to me Hap, but I suspect Lion is correct and some rocket scientist at Ducati figured that if you're going down the highway, it's fine to have your signal on for miles and miles.....

-SM

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote