Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #4366
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
I've been of the opinion that the new bike will offer practical refinements over the earlier bikes since they announced the changes, but as always, it's a matter of money. There have been some very attractive late buys (of 2012 bikes) recently, so it comes down to your sensibilities and budget. I jumped on .49% financing and a $2500 discount when I bought my '12 so it was an easy decision for me. I really like the bike, and spending just a fraction of the money I saved I upgraded the Ohlins springs and am completely happy with the ride and handling balance. Which is not to say I (and others) wouldn't like the '13 even better, but as many have also been saying all along, any well sorted 4 valve Multi is a hell of a ride.

If there isn't a big difference in price, or if the difference is inconsequential, I'd buy the newer bike. As it stands, I'm thrilled with my model year 12 MST.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #4367
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
It is encouraging though that whoever put together the Skyhook system got the springing and preload right. Unlike Ohlins, whose stock spec, given the bike's design purpose and marketing, was disgracefully inadequate, IMO. (Of course, it might have been Ducati who made the relevant decisions here.)
)
On this topic -- I spoke to an Ohlins rep at Laguna Seca last year. The selection of the spring was made to allow maximum pre-load and ride height lift in Enduro mode for 'off-road' riding. He was basically 'if you don't ride it off-road, replace it, we know the compromise was made'.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:21 PM   #4368
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
May have been posted before. But here it goes - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...da-old-vs-new/. MCN's comparison of the now old MTS with the DES suspension vs the 2013 MTS with Skyhook.

Here's the verdict if you are impatient :

"We can finally and categorically conclude that the new Skyhook system works, works well and isnít just a gimmick. Itís the next step forward in terms of suspension and comfort. The new Multi is the most fun adventure bike in the market and itís practical too. Weíd argue itís one of the best handling bikes on the market two up.

It will be interesting to see how the system performs on track with and without a pillion, but the Ducati Multistrada isnít designed to be a race bike and the DDS system is for comfort not performance.

But this test also highlights how good the old bike is. So should you upgrade from the old model? If you ride the majority of the time in sports mode and on your own then Iíd question the need for an upgrade and stay with the old model.

However, the new bike is significantly better two up and you donít have to flick between modes as the Skyhook system takes over.

The new dash is clearer, easier to use, the new adjustable screen can be raised and lowered on the move and the fuelling has been improved at slow speeds which makes the new model very tempting.

Finally if youíre looking to move from a sports or naked bike into the adventure market then the Ducati is the one to have. It has sports bike handling which now reacts to road imperfections and is one of the best handling bikes two up.

The engine is powerful, itís comfortable versatile and safe, remember thereís excellent traction control and excellent ABS. The only problem for Ducati is thereís a new BMW GS and KTM Adventure just around the corner which will be on the market early next year."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
I've been looking hard at the Multistrada, but I am wondering if I should get a 2013 or a 2012. Are the opinions generally that the upgrades are definitely worth it? MCN says they think they are if you ride 2up a lot, but I never do. I ride alone, and most of my riding is either commuting 30 miles each way to work, or taking long touring trips.

I'm sure there are opinions out there, I'd like to hear them!

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:53 PM   #4369
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post

However, the new bike is significantly better two up and you donít have to flick between modes as the Skyhook system takes over.

Why would you have to "flick between modes" on the '10-'12 w/ DES if you're riding two up?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #4370
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
I've been looking hard at the Multistrada, but I am wondering if I should get a 2013 or a 2012. Are the opinions generally that the upgrades are definitely worth it? MCN says they think they are if you ride 2up a lot, but I never do. I ride alone, and most of my riding is either commuting 30 miles each way to work, or taking long touring trips.

I'm sure there are opinions out there, I'd like to hear them!
If you go back a page or two you'll see some of us have posted our ride impressions between the two years. Personally, if you can get a deal on a '12 I would do that. The '13 didn't strike me as that big of a difference (or improvement).
Old 01-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #4371
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
On this topic -- I spoke to an Ohlins rep at Laguna Seca last year. The selection of the spring was made to allow maximum pre-load and ride height lift in Enduro mode for 'off-road' riding. He was basically 'if you don't ride it off-road, replace it, we know the compromise was made'.
Thanks. That would have been nice had they offered something to replace it with. Standard rate was an 85N/mm and the only option from Ohlins was the 100N/mm.

So for '13, Ducati specs an 85-125N/mm progressive - sourced elsewhere.

It would have been perfectly obvious to them that the 85Nm stock spring on the gen 1 bikes would be too soft for touring two-up - look at the launch shots:

- especially with the short preload adjustment range (5mm, given 3mm of the available 8 is wasted on the "Urban" height reduction), and even the 100 would be marginal. For heaven's sake, the DES stock map sets the same preload - max - for rider-luggage and rider-passenger-luggage.

But they went ahead and sold it to us with standard panniers and an optional top-box.

I know people have made do two-up and loaded with the 85s, and especially with the 100s. Good for them. But it would have frustrated the hell out of me, after paying thousands for a premium suspension package. Been there already (see my sig line. )

The thing is, even though I had been there already, I could not quite believe Ducati would have set us up like this. Was all set to purchase a '12, but after a two-up test ride got leery. Then the spec for the '13s was reveald, putting their thinking on the prior models into its proper perspective. Great ideas, but foul-ups in the execution.

Of course, none of this is much of an issue if you are at the target weight and not planning to do two-up trips. Which is possibly most buyers. I am at the target weight, but I was planning many two-up trips.

With the '13s it all changes. The stock progressive spring is probably the best solo and two-up mixed use compromise possible. For those who want more, there is the option of purchasing the 13 base and fitting whatever spring you please. On the stock shock, or on an Ohlins manual shock, now that Ohlins is offering one. And soon, on Ohlins's mooted full aftermarket DES kit, which we can hope will have more than two spring options. (Actually, would be helpful to have optional springs for Skyhook, but I doubt that is going to happen.)

Meanwhile, we have the new GS and KTMs on the way. Nice to have choices.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:34 PM   #4372
montanaman
Traveler

Oddometer: 171
There's always something new..

Two years on my Multi 11 S Touring and I have nothing but praise for the Ohlins set up. Granted.. I am the "target weight" ( 175 geared up ) and I don't do a lot of two up ( although my 120 pound wifey and I have done a couple of loaded up over nighters) and I think its a great set up. I am not the best/most aggressive rider out there but most of my riding has been up and down the Angles Crest HWY and a blazing ride or two thru Death Valley and the suspension just rocks as far as I am concerned. Hitting the 2 up button with bags button firms up the suspension for two up and sports mode is just rock solid.
I don't know.. maybe I am just bitter because they potentially built a better mousetrap 2 years later. Ohlins has been one of the best suspension outfits for years and I don't think that the bike was that successful for the last 3 years because they put crappy suspension on a 20 thousand dollar bike.. Just sayin.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:04 PM   #4373
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Maybe what they meant to say was this:

"However, the new bike is significantly better two up. And you donít have to flick between modes as the Skyhook system takes over."

I agree the sentence in its original form makes little sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Why would you have to "flick between modes" on the '10-'12 w/ DES if you're riding two up?

-SM

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:14 AM   #4374
Hap Hazard
Adv Want a B

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
At 75 mph with the 14 tooth sprocket, what is your rpm?

Screen width will always be limited due to the swing of the handlebars but there are taller screens.
GB, sorry for the delay. At 75mph, the rpm is around 4500 rpm. Equally important, at 3000 rpm in 2nd, speed is about 25 mph. This allows you to be in 2 nd in school zones or stop and go. With the 15 tooth, the rpm was below 3000 and was lugging.
Hap Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #4375
expatbrit

Quote:

-SM
I dunno either? To get more helmet banging in sport mode? :)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #4376
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
Ohlins has been one of the best suspension outfits for years and I don't think that the bike was that successful for the last 3 years because they put crappy suspension on a 20 thousand dollar bike.. Just sayin.
+1

Not sure what all the bitchin' is about. If a rider is 200lb+, they know they're above the target weight for ANY bike and will need to re-spring, especially if they ride aggressively. Why all the of Ducati for something that's been true since the dawn of time? Or are peeps just playing out their justification on us for why they want a new bike?

I'm a bit above the target at 185lb w/o gear, and I still find the Ohlins to be freakin' amazing. You want stiffer, go get the stiffer springs. Done and sorted. Personally I'm not a racer so the stocker is fine for me. I spent the time to set up each mode how I want it (i.e. for each riding mode, Urban, Enduro, Touring, and Sport, I set preload and damping for each of the 4 loads: Rider, Rider + Bags, Rider + Pillion, and Rider + Pillion + Bags) and couldn't be happier. I wonder how many people actually do that vs. just using the OEM settings and then ?

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 08:41 AM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:40 AM   #4377
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post
GB, sorry for the delay. At 75mph, the rpm is around 4500 rpm. Equally important, at 3000 rpm in 2nd, speed is about 25 mph. This allows you to be in 2 nd in school zones or stop and go. With the 15 tooth, the rpm was below 3000 and was lugging.
Too bad the new and improved engine management for 2013 still won't run smooth between 2000 and 3000 rpm in second gear with stock sprockets. I have not test driven this bike but I usually don't like riding slow at high rpm in first gear.

Anyway, glad changing sprocket worked for you. Hopefully won't hurt fuel mileage too much.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #4378
expatbrit

Quote:
+1

Not sure what all the bitchin' is about. If a rider is 200lb+, they know they're above the target weight for ANY bike and will need to re-spring, especially if they ride aggressively. Why all the of Ducati for something that's been true since the dawn of time? Or are peeps just playing out their justification on us for why they want a new bike?
And see above re: Enduro mode and the deliberate spec of a soft rear spring to support that.

Quote:
I'm a bit above the target at 185lb w/o gear, and I still find the Ohlins to be freakin' amazing. You want stiffer, go get the stiffer springs. Done and sorted. Personally I'm not a racer so the stocker is fine for me. I spent the time to set up each mode how I want it (i.e. for each riding mode, Urban, Enduro, Touring, and Sport, I set preload and damping for each of the 4 loads: Rider, Rider + Bags, Rider + Pillion, and Rider + Pillion + Bags) and couldn't be happier. I wonder how many people actually do that vs. just using the OEM settings and then ?

-SM
I'm above the target weight at 190 without gear (down from 210 when I bought the bike for free added horsepower). I did the respring, and am now slowing getting my pre-load set up correctly across the board. Just need a 3rd person again.

Got to spend the time to get it set up right. I'm sure the 2013 has some significant advantages, but I'm a 'mostly in sport, almost always one up'. Sounds like I'm OK!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #4379
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Too bad the new and improved engine management for 2013 still won't run smooth between 2000 and 3000 rpm in second gear with stock sprockets. I have not test driven this bike but I usually don't like riding slow at high rpm in first gear.

Anyway, glad changing sprocket worked for you. Hopefully won't hurt fuel mileage too much.
I think you are leaving room for mixing up avocados and pineapples here. What he said is that it "lugs" below 3,000k. In other words, the engine management was improved. The gear ratio is still the same.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 PM   #4380
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for the insights everyone! I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 2011.

I have two similarly priced options.

One is new, 2 year warranty plus 5 year extended for $1100 extra.

Second has 3600 miles, well farkled with termi and remap, but warranty expires in 6 months.

The new one is about 2,500 higher because if tax, warranty, and asking prices. So, the question is, would you go for the warranty or the farkles?

PS: I can't afford the full termi exhaust if I buy the new one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
1998 DR350SE - charbroiled
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote