Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #4411
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Hey gang, not sure if any of you other than myself and Oalvarez have been following the unfolding saga of the new '13 BMW GS and a potential issue with the active suspension causing tank slappers over rough roads, but since the '13 Ducs also have Sachs active suspension, I just wanted to give folks a heads up. I know I know, the GS is a VERY different bike from the MTS, but until they nail down the cause, if it IS related to the active suspension, all you '13 owners may want to be on the lookout for any odd behavior from the new Mutley when encountering corrugated (i.e. washboard) road surfaces. Let's hope this is isolated to the GS and not something inherent in Gen 1 motorcycle active suspension systems.

Ride safe everyone. Spring is coming.....yay!

-SM
I've heard of the head shake situation on the BMW's. But not that it was related to semi-active suspension. BMW made several changes to this bike which may be responsible to the speculated problem.

People have been speculating the stiffer chassis and more flex in the smaller diameter shocks. Furthermore, they mentined it was related to situations when riders were standing on pegs on fast washboard roads, speeds of 75-80 mph. Finally, the BMW has telelever front suspension. In other words, too many factors here before you get to semi-active suspension, which before that you have to understand BMW's programming for it and its riding modes, including Enduro Pro mode, for example.

BTW I rode yesterday a Multistrada 2010 and a 2013 back to back. First I rode the 2010 for 30 miles. Then I climbed on the 2013 for another 30 miles. About the motor: night and day, that 2013 is so smooth and it seems like the 5% improved torque should actually be a bigger number - that thing seems happier to rev and comes strong from lower RPMs. What a difference. And Skyhook, what a treat.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #4412
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
So, guys that own them,

Question: If you were going to take a cross country solo trip starting in Florida and ending up in Prudhoe Bay Alaska...would you do it on a Multistrada? Also, bear in mind that you'd have to ride back as well.

Or would you go for a GS, Tex, etc?
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #4413
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,199
I answered that question last year, sold the Multi12 2010 model and bought a Super Tenere. 21 days and 10,000+ miles, done deal. Now what comes next no body knows. LOL
Old 02-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #4414
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I have, including the speculation it might have had something to do with Kevin Ash's crash. I rode a '12 GS yesterday, street no dirt, a different beast from both, and was reminded how spectacularly comfortable and competent feeling they are. BMWs are usually the ultimate in stability, often trading responsiveness for it, so this is quite a conundrum.

I'm with you on the hope it's a unique problem. It may come to pass that our Ohlins bikes represent a certain "good old days" retrospective in the end. Oelvarez and others have mentioned that as a possibility if I recall, while I've been in the "what could possibly go wrong?" school.
I was riding my '11 GSA on washboard dirt the other day thinking about the instability issue that has come up. There is no good explanation that does not preclude serious problems when a bike becomes unstable at 45 mph on a moderately rough surface while standing up. I cannot imagine this on my bike as its so stable.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #4415
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
So, guys that own them,

Question: If you were going to take a cross country solo trip starting in Florida and ending up in Prudhoe Bay Alaska...would you do it on a Multistrada?
No and that is why I'm keeping the GS/A.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #4416
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 126
Why wouldn't you take a Multistrada?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
1998 DR350SE - charbroiled
Suruppak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #4417
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Cuz it might rain...

--Doc

(sorry, couldn't resist)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 AM   #4418
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King View Post
No and that is why I'm keeping the GS/A.

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #4419
3B43
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I bought a MTS because I lusted for one! And it hasn't disappointed me, other the the shitty fueling under 3500! Reliability? I guess I'll find out. I've put 6200 miles on her in 5 months and bought the extended warranty. Anyway, a buddy of mine has a loaded '09 GS, which he really likes, but would not buy again! He's had a host of ningling problems....nothing major, but he's tired of the problems.
3B43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:59 AM   #4420
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
Range and I like the 19' front wheel better for dirt and gravel roads.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #4421
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I've heard of the head shake situation on the BMW's. But not that it was related to semi-active suspension. BMW made several changes to this bike which may be responsible to the speculated problem.

People have been speculating the stiffer chassis and more flex in the smaller diameter shocks. Furthermore, they mentined it was related to situations when riders were standing on pegs on fast washboard roads, speeds of 75-80 mph. Finally, the BMW has telelever front suspension. In other words, too many factors here before you get to semi-active suspension, which before that you have to understand BMW's programming for it and its riding modes, including Enduro Pro mode, for example.
Based on what I've read on the issue, the jury is still out on what's causing it (rider error, frame geometry/stiffness, dynamic ESA, telelever, etc....also, was it the cause of Kevin's fatal crash... ), so I wanted to give the Shyhook folks out there a heads up. And yes, the BMW and MTS couldn't be more different, but they share active suspension, which is very new on bikes. If the programmers haven't found all the corner cases then I suspect issues could crop up on any bike if your suspension is being adjusted on the fly by some software.

And for the record, at least one of the journos reported this headshake/tank slapper at just 45mph.....

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:48 AM   #4422
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
And now for something completely different...

... though a follow up from earlier.

Looks like my bike is definitely in the 'hi, your coolant wants to live in the exhaust' category. It's down for some period of time with at least new heads and new radiator. Luckily, a new white and orange toy showed up at my house last week, so now it's time to see if I can lose my licence.

I had had the coolant TSB done when I had the radiator patched pending replacement at the end of last year; apparently the damage was already done prior to that (and prior to the 15k service, actually, where they changed the coolant for a different set.

What fun! Local dealer has been /excellent/ in checking for and hunting down the problem. Not fast, unfortunately, but this is the first one they've seen. Less impressed with the regional Ducati folks, but going out of region and talking to a few other dealers led to a solid diagnosis and the 'right' fix. Engine is now out of the bike and more -- I don't dare go down to the dealer and look for fear of the sadz!

Notes for anyone else who has had the TSB done and sees big clouds of white smoke -- don't expect the anti-freeze smell, since the new coolant is super-low in glycol and that distinctive smell will not be present. Leak-down test on the coolant system is the smoking gun; if you have had any sort of radiator problem as well, that's a HUGE indicator that you've got the bad coolant.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #4423
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
... though a follow up from earlier.

Looks like my bike is definitely in the 'hi, your coolant wants to live in the exhaust' category. It's down for some period of time with at least new heads and new radiator. Luckily, a new white and orange toy showed up at my house last week, so now it's time to see if I can lose my licence.
Dang, sorry to hear about this. Sounds like they'll get it sorted, hopefully before the good weather is here.

Any more details on your new orange/white friend?

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #4424
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Any more details on your new orange/white friend?

-SM
RC8 I'm thinkin....

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:48 PM   #4425
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
New to Forum

Hello all , I live in Calgary Alberta Canada ,I have recently purchased a new [ zero miles ] 2011 1200 sport touring and will take delivery April 1 , I wish we could get the good pricing like you guys in the states . I paid $18000 and tax so $18900 out the door , NOT counting the extended warranty. I also got the 3 year extended warranty for 5 yrs of total warranty , after much shopping I had to pay $1228 for that and that was after dealing it down from $1972 , through Ducati Calgary , it is the superior package , covers everything , which is important to check as alot of these extended warranties are full of exclusions , if I dont use the extended warranty I get a gauranteed price refund back of $1150.00 . I have noticed the 2011 model wieghs in at 423 lbs dry and 2013 at 454 lbs dry , any body who has rode both notice the difference ? Anyways thought I would say Hi and am looking forward to this bike .

Scoisgreat screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 04:20 AM
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote