Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 02:03 PM   #4426
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post
Hello all , I live in Calgary Alberta Canada ,I have recently purchased a new [ zero miles ] 2011 1200 sport touring and will take delivery April 1 , I wish we could get the good pricing like you guys in the states . I paid $18000 and tax so $18900 out the door , NOT counting the extended warranty. I also got the 3 year extended warranty for 5 yrs of total warranty , after much shopping I had to pay $1700 for that and that was after dealing it down from $1972 , through Ducati Calgary , it is the superior package , covers everything , which is important to check as alot of these extended warranties are full of exclusions , if I dont use the extended warranty I get a gauranteed price refund back of $1150.00 . I have noticed the 2011 model wieghs in at 423 lbs dry and 2013 at 454 lbs dry , any body who has rode both notice the difference ? Anyways thought I would say Hi and am looking forward to this bike .
Congrats on the new rocket. I'd be surprised if the weight differences were actually that great. I don't know what accounts for the differences as quoted but I'm inclined to think the 2012 weighs more than they are allowing, especially once you add the panniers.

I don't think your price is all that horrible although here that money would probably have bought a 2012 MST, back at the end of the summer, Your tax burden is less than Washington State's, buy the way.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #4427
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Hi Pampero , I took the weights off Ducati USA website , I am looking forward to this bike , used to have a Kawa Vulcan 2000 so this bike is alot lighter to ride , the vulcan was 820 lbs wet and once I sold it I was immediately drawn to the Multi as are alot of people who are looking for a comfortable light bike with alot of get up and go . This forum has been helpful .
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM   #4428
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Dang, sorry to hear about this. Sounds like they'll get it sorted, hopefully before the good weather is here.
Yeah. Me too. Almost $8k in parts, apparently, and 'something' is on backorder. It's actually already decent weather here, so I'm glad the orangeyboom showed up.

Quote:
Any more details on your new orange/white friend?

-SM
Mmm. Details? 170hp, 430lbs, orange and white with a big 75 degree V-twin.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #4429
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Congrats on the new rocket. I'd be surprised if the weight differences were actually that great. I don't know what accounts for the differences as quoted but I'm inclined to think the 2012 weighs more than they are allowing, especially once you add the panniers.

I don't think your price is all that horrible although here that money would probably have bought a 2012 MST, back at the end of the summer, Your tax burden is less than Washington State's, buy the way.
They have a misquote on the weight on their own site. The 2013 are heavier but it is by less than 10lbs.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #4430
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Based on what I've read on the issue, the jury is still out on what's causing it (rider error, frame geometry/stiffness, dynamic ESA, telelever, etc....also, was it the cause of Kevin's fatal crash... ), so I wanted to give the Shyhook folks out there a heads up. And yes, the BMW and MTS couldn't be more different, but they share active suspension, which is very new on bikes. If the programmers haven't found all the corner cases then I suspect issues could crop up on any bike if your suspension is being adjusted on the fly by some software.

And for the record, at least one of the journos reported this headshake/tank slapper at just 45mph.....

-SM
All reports I've read talked about speeds on the 120-140km/h range which I believe is 75mph-87mph.
One person mentioned 45mph?

I'd rather be riding!

Old 02-04-2013, 04:37 PM   #4431
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
All reports I've read talked about speeds on the 120-140km/h range which I believe is 75mph-87mph.
One person mentioned 45mph?
Indeed!

Here's a quote from the article, found here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91507.html

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure. "

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #4432
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Quote:
Indeed!

Here's a quote from the article, found here: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-91507.html

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure. "

-SM
That's scary. Now it seems to me all of them reported it happened while standing on the pegs. Which brings some interesting data... all other things remaining unchanged, standing up weights more the front end of the bike. Which changes dynamics on regular motorcycles, which should give them faster turn in, if I'm not mistaken. But with a telelever, there isn't much change, right? So you would expect it to remain stable when standing up...

I'd rather be riding!

Old 02-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #4433
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
... traveling about 45 mph ...
Probably a US journalist who thought that 120km/h translates directly to 45mph ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:06 PM   #4434
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 206
Ash

Sucks to hear that Kevin Ash died. He was really good and I'll miss him. Such a bittersweet endeavor riding isn't it? I have to but I struggle to accept this.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #4435
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,658
Christ, isn't there a thread that you can go discuss the GS head shake ad-nauseum
Old 02-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #4436
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
Christ, isn't there a thread that you can go discuss the GS head shake ad-nauseum
Read back a page or two to see WHY we're talking about it here.

-SM
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 PM   #4437
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,658
Quote:
Read back a page or two to see WHY we're talking about it here.

-SM
I did and you're just a worry wort who likes creating drama.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #4438
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
I did and you're just a worry wort who likes creating drama.
I was wondering who was going to start the piss-fest. Guess now we know.

-SM
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #4439
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post
I was .......... looking for a comfortable light bike with alot of get up and go . This forum has been helpful .
That it has in spades! You will love the ride. Make sure they change the coolant out per the discussions. I consider myself a one man control group. Mine was changed before I took delivery. If mine gets a case of the coolant schizz, we'll know that they are in error about more than just the weight!
(I'm not expecting it).
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 AM   #4440
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Already talked to the dealer about the coolant issue , should have the pink stuff in when I pick up the bike .
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote