Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #4741
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,102
Us Super Ten guys had a rally in WhiteHorse last July and most went on to Alaska.

We all ran K60s, but was a little slippery in the rain on uneven tar patches on portions of 1 between Tok and Anchorage.

10,000 miles was easy on them, although pretty squared off on rear on arriving home.

I would most likely run PR3s on the Multi12, then K60 front up north, not sure on the rear.

5 weeks is a pretty good goal. I ran it in 21 days and was sorta rushed, camped mostly.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #4742
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I can't think of anything that will work well in Alaska and then get you home -

This is what I would do - ride your current tires to alaska
in alaska have a set of TKC80s mounted - rided whatever roads you want without worry, who knows when you'll be back
for the way back, put back on your original front scorpion and whatever rear you choose
If the tkc's have any life left, then ship them home

this option involves three new tires instead of two, but I think you'll have more fun and worry less with this set-up
+1 You won't want street tires if it gets muddy or deep gravel.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #4743
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
I can't think of anything that will work well in Alaska and then get you home -

This is what I would do - ride your current tires to alaska
in alaska have a set of TKC80s mounted - rided whatever roads you want without worry, who knows when you'll be back
for the way back, put back on your original front scorpion and whatever rear you choose
If the tkc's have any life left, then ship them home

this option involves three new tires instead of two, but I think you'll have more fun and worry less with this set-up
This is exactly what is driving me nuts! I will not be able able to drive home on the TKC's but I sure as hell will want them there.
Your 3 tire suggestion seems to work. I better look thru the closet for more things to sell.
I spent way too much on the RUKKA gear.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #4744
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,102
The Yamaha Dealer in WhiteHorse has a ton of tires also, check with them, very helpful with us on our trip.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM   #4745
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Flightar, your dealer should/could (as in it would have been nice) have asked if you wanted the fender installed and should certainly be wiling to put it on for you (gratis). I asked them to do it for me after fighting with it for half an hour (two screws, one seemingly impossible to start) , and they did it as a courtesy. You can do it yourself, but the crossover connection makes it a real PITA without a lift. With a lift it is easier, and they have those!

Getting it on makes the next step easier, as you can then add a generic fender extender either with velcro or by fastening to the Ducati supplied hugger. You don't need something made for or by Ducati...ebay has generics for ten bucks. This is a case where buying the official "best one" is a waste of money.

I'd also use the large rear hugger (supplied) which does a good job of keeping the schmutz off the rear shock and is a piece of cake to install.

Lovely bike, can't wait to read your upcoming stuff.
RE: My 13 S Touring didn't come with a fender extender, nor did it come with gas in the tank, or an explanation of the controls and features. Basically, it was give us your money, here's the keys, have a nice ride home, and read the owners manual. When they installed the Granturismo windscreen they tried to keep the stock one...didn't even offer it to me. I had to ask them where my screen was. The service department had it boxed up and on the reserve parts shelf. They assumed I didn't want it because I'd bought a new one.

I won't ever buy another bike from my this dealer (he owns two of the three dealers here locally)....luckilly, I do have another dealer available.

The bike is great though...just the owner/GM of the dealership I used is an a$$hat.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #4746
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
RE: My 13 S Touring didn't come with a fender extender, nor did it come with gas in the tank, or an explanation of the controls and features. Basically, it was give us your money, here's the keys, have a nice ride home, and read the owners manual. When they installed the Granturismo windscreen they tried to keep the stock one...didn't even offer it to me. I had to ask them where my screen was. The service department had it boxed up and on the reserve parts shelf. They assumed I didn't want it because I'd bought a new one.

I won't ever buy another bike from my this dealer (he owns two of the three dealers here locally)....luckilly, I do have another dealer available.

The bike is great though...just the owner/GM of the dealership I used is an a$$hat.

Flightar - It certainly is a fact that not all dealers are created equal , you should demand fender extenders and anything else that was supposed to come with your new expensive bike , that kind of crap is bullshit and should be reported to Ducati in Italy ,or at the very least Ducati North America . You have a right to everything you paid for . By the way CONGRATS on your new bike
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #4747
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post

Welcome to the world of Ducati dealers. When I took my 2011 in for the rear brake TSB, they didn't want to do it. Service guy said it really wasn't a rear brake, Ducati just meant for it to be a rear "stabilizer". Probably the biggest HS story I have heard from a dealer in all of my 50 years of motorcycle ownership.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 PM   #4748
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post

That is outrageous to not properly deliver such a high end bike.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #4749
OzzyBiker
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Having the best tires is nice but you can do it on anything. I had no issues with Pirelli Scorpion front and street tire rear from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay and back down to Anchorage (where my replacements were waiting). People do it on Harley's and bicycles.

OzzyBiker screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 09:26 PM
OzzyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #4750
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Yeah, I know guy's...but the upside is, the bike is perfect and I'm not going to be forced to use that dealer. I wouldn't have used them at all except I bought two bikes (the MTS 12 and a G650GS F/L) that had to be further lowered. The BMW was the ONLY F/L bike in the country at the time and the person it was for did not want to wait. So, two bikes got purchased from the same dealer...the dealer I will use from here on out, does not sell BMW's.

I got the better part of the deal anyway...two great bikes, and I don't have to give that dealer any more money. I have also cost them considerable money since my purchase by telling others who recently bought bikes about them, so they purchased elswehere. Not to mention all the accessories and services they won't get to sell/perform.

Overall, I'm happy...and they are broker.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #4751
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 240
I had the same exact issue. When I picked up my bike I got no front fender extender or the larger rear. It wasn't until I was reading the manual that I read about them and called the dealer to ask. At first they were cagey about it, then they miraculously they showed up with a box with my VIN written right on it. Seems like a common dealer "oversight", but at least anyone thinking about purchasing one who reads this will know to watch out for it.

Enjoy the bike - great machines. DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #4752
Gorilla King
Dobar Skorz!

Oddometer: 38,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
I had the same exact issue. When I picked up my bike I got no front fender extender or the larger rear. It wasn't until I was reading the manual that I read about them and called the dealer to ask. At first they were cagey about it, then they miraculously they showed up with a box with my VIN written right on it. Seems like a common dealer "oversight", but at least anyone thinking about purchasing one who reads this will know to watch out for it.

Enjoy the bike - great machines. DD
My dealer left the extension off too. They Fed Exed them to me. I suspect this is common among all dealers Front is a PITA
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #4753
GS N RVN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Not all Dealers are Bastards.

Come to Akron and buy from Northern Ohio Ducati. My 13 Touring S delivery was awesome and they asked me which fender I wanted installed in the rear and if I wanted the front extender. They also ordered all accessories immediately and a few extra I could try. Don't waste your time with bad dealers.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #4754
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla King View Post
My dealer left the extension off too. They Fed Exed them to me. I suspect this is common among all dealers Front is a PITA

Where I bought mine they not only gave me the box with the rear fender and the front fender extender, they advised me to have them installed.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #4755
spartanman
regret minimizer

Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukefrog View Post
The Puig Sport windscreen does not interfere with the Barkbusters, I have them on also…

Spartanman:
If you are used to riding more "open" bikes (compared to Goldwings or K1200s) you will find that the short windscreen allows the wind to follow a more normal route on your shoulders and helmet. The Puig is much more quiet that the Ducati Touring screen. I ride with a full-face Arai RXQ with chin spoiler and molded earplugs. YMMV if you use a different config I suppose. Although the real estate is smaller, it still catches enough critters to require a post-ride debugging…

Thanks Dukefrog. And the Puig Sport looks good too.
spartanman is offline   Reply With Quote