Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #4771
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
It definately has a clear coat . Let us know where you ordered your touch up paint . Thanks
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #4772
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post
It definately has a clear coat . Let us know where you ordered your touch up paint . Thanks
Thanks, Guess I will be ordering clear coat:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/ducati-red-2081.cfm
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM   #4773
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Thanks, Guess I will be ordering clear coat:

http://www.colorrite.com/product/ducati-red-2081.cfm
The Colorite pens (all you probably need, and plus one on the clear) works well. Give the base color a chance to dry well before putting on the clear. You'll be happy with how well you can camouflage small blemishes using their basic kit and a bit of patience. When you are all dome, do some research on this product. I just finished installing it on my bike. It was a bit of a chore, but it came out fine and it's a potent solution to stone chips and road damage.

Pampero screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 07:04 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #4774
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
The Colorite pens (all you probably need, and plus one on the clear) works well. Give the base color a chance to dry well before putting on the clear. You'll be happy with how well you can camouflage small blemishes using their basic kit and a bit of patience. When you are all dome, do some research on this product. I just finished installing it on my bike. It was a bit of a chore, but it came out fine and it's a potent solution to stone chips and road damage.
You installed it yourself it seems. It is a chore but you prove it is doable. Nothing against your capacity but did you have prior experience with this type of stuff (definitely not Sasquatch's long arms and lack of opposeable thumbs I would presume)?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #4775
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I wonder if he has really long arms and is covered in shaggy fur and hangs out in remote areas of Canuckistan.......
-SM
Ha ha ha - LMAO! I find it's ok for the most part because the fur mostly tucks up in my sleeves!

Sco - Sasquatch biatch... Priceless.

Expatbrit - Thx for the info on the Puig. The "bumpy" one is PN 6273H in light smoke. I think I'll pick it up, and thanks for defending me against this abhorrent attack! ;-)

The bumpy Puig is this one:

http://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore...idproduct=1631

DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #4776
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
You installed it yourself it seems. It is a chore but you prove it is doable. Nothing against your capacity but did you have prior experience with this type of stuff (definitely not Sasquatch's long arms and lack of opposeable thumbs I would presume)?
No experience at all but I am patient and OCD. The product is pretty forgiving. There is a learning curve, but the price of failure is low as the whole kit is pretty cheap. The 3M is said to be more durable and to offer better protection, but also is a bit tougher to install. The "tankslapper" kit might be the one to get for folks who are not quite as ambitious.

I started with the easiest pieces and went on from there. Their instructions (on the site) are helpful. The hardest (most perplexing) part was figuring out which pieces went where. Once you get it all laid out, you learn by doing. The results are quite excellent if I do say so myself, and have improved measurably over the week or so since I installed the kit, as the material tends to shrink fit and small flaws disappear as the material cures. I posted a thread on ducati.ms, but here are some shots for your consideration.

And to repeat; I went at it completely cold with the the confidence of ignorance. If I were to do it again (perish the thought) I could do it both faster and cleaner, but it is good enough as is.

You get the idea Although though the photos are not of sufficient resolution
to render the outlines of the film perfectly, this really is pretty much what it looks like. In person, it is hardly visible, though I did manage to trap a couple of small motes under a piece or two. Not worth going back and redoing. Having freedom from paint chips and spidering is a satisfying feeling, since I was starting to collect them. If you decide to try, post up and I'll go into more detail, but the bottom line is you can do it!

Here are a couple more:

Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #4777
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Pampero - I had the 3M on my car and it is great for preventing rock chips , now is I could only get you to Calgary to install it . Would a meet & greet with Desmo AKA Sasqautch do it ?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 PM   #4778
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
pulled the trigger

Well... after drooling over the Mutli for several years now I finally pulled the trigger today. Went in to test ride one... the demo was a 2012 ST (Ohlins).

1. The power was so much fun I still have a smile on my face.
2. 100% agree with what I read... what rear brake? It has one? Really?
3. The pure balance/handling of this bike is AWESOME.

Thought the height might be an issue... it was not. Wanted a 2013 GT but the guy sold me a new 2012 (gray) 1200ST... the deal on the 2012 ST was $4200 cheaper than the GT so I just couldn't say no. Fair deal on my trade in... BOOM... pick it up on Saturday.

Really... after riding a cruiser for almost 3 years I forgot what it's like to ride a bike that you can lean more than 4 inches. Oh... yeah, the guy said something about being able to go off-road with a Multi?

atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #4779
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Pampero,
Thanks for the explanation and pictures. I think I get just the idea whether this is something I could tackle or not and what kind of results I would get (probably a few issues here and there). I guess making sure you get it right on the first try, on each panel, is the issue.
Your bike looks great.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #4780
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgatt View Post
Well... after drooling over the Mutli for several years now I finally pulled the trigger today. Went in to test ride one... the demo was a 2012 ST (Ohlins).

1. The power was so much fun I still have a smile on my face.
2. 100% agree with what I read... what rear brake? It has one? Really?
3. The pure balance/handling of this bike is AWESOME.

Thought the height might be an issue... it was not. Wanted a 2013 GT but the guy sold me a new 2012 (gray) 1200ST... the deal on the 2012 ST was $4200 cheaper than the GT so I just couldn't say no. Fair deal on my trade in... BOOM... pick it up on Saturday.

Really... after riding a cruiser for almost 3 years I forgot what it's like to ride a bike that you can lean more than 4 inches. Oh... yeah, the guy said something about being able to go off-road with a Multi?

And yes, you can go offroad with them....wayyyy off road:

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #4781
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post
Pampero - I had the 3M on my car and it is great for preventing rock chips , now is I could only get you to Calgary to install it . Would a meet & greet with Desmo AKA Sasqautch do it ?
Now you have me motivated. Line 'em up!

I have been to Calgary several times. First time I went it was winter. I came back much later and damned if it wasn't still winter! A summer ride over the hills for the Stampede and a filming session perhaps? It would be a hell of a ride!
Old 04-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #4782
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Pampero,
Thanks for the explanation and pictures. I think I get just the idea whether this is something I could tackle or not and what kind of results I would get (probably a few issues here and there). I guess making sure you get it right on the first try, on each panel, is the issue.
Your bike looks great.
Lion
Thanks, it is clean but it ought to be...it's new. Just another red Multi on the way to somewhere.

You can do it. If you get your work area clean, go at it with clean hands and a clean bike, you're in. I found it relaxing in the special way that focusing on a pleasant task can make things enjoyable. You get a couple of cracks at getting the film where it needs to be; it's not a question of laying it on right the first time. You can slide it around and then "fix" it at a corner or where needed using an alcohol spray, or just setting it with the squeegee. You get plenty of working time, it's not a race.

I waxed the bike (they tell you to do that) and wiped down each panel with a fresh micro fiber cloth before spraying on the soap solution and peeling the 3M stuff off the paper. If I felt dust had settled (it does so remarkably fast) I used a detailer (McGuires) to dust off the surface just before going at it again. OCD, I tell you.

I detailed the bike before I started, and I rubbed out any small crazing ( small circular scratches that are visible in the sun and seem to appear from nowhere) before waxing. For that part I used Zymol "cleanse." Using that product is not key, and the process was not called out in their instructions but I wanted a clean canvas. For all that, I still managed to encapsulate the odd dog hair and bug leg. Close inspection reveals a few minor issues and the nose fairing in particular was frustrating but the film is very forgiving. It really is more a question of patience than anything else. By the time I got to the last panels, I was zipping right along and my work was cleaner too.

A person moderately accustomed to working with his or her hands can accomplish this over a matter of several easier sessions or one ass breaker and end up really enjoying the process and the results. I should mention here that I have a lot of experience with finishes as I owned, painted and varnished wooden boats (as a hobby, not a career) for many years, but I doubt that had much to do with the outcome except that I understand how to make surfaces clean and have decent knowledge of how finishes "work."

Do you think I might have a career here?

I can say that nobody would have been happy to pay me by the hour for the job, but I'm pretty sure I could get it done a lot faster now. In the end I enjoyed the process and the result. I'd recommend taking a crack at it to anybody who feels they have the patience to see it through. That is the key element. You truly do pick up the knack along the way.

Pampero screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 09:58 PM
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #4783
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Congrats. atgatt!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 AM   #4784
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Yesterday, 04:38 PM #4778
atgatt

Yesterday, 04:38 PM #4778
atgatt

Atgatt - congrats on your new multi , there great fun to ride .

Pampero - Thats the problem with Calagry , it can be " winter " any month of the year , no kidding , I have seen it snow here in EVERY month of the year over a period of 55 years .
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #4785
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

And yes, you can go offroad with them....wayyyy off road:

-SM
That looks like some good fun!
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote