Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 PM   #4861
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtwo View Post
Ace,
The Fat ducs help the 2010-2012 Multis run smoother at revs under 4K.
I have the other O2 tricker. They do the trick. But, you wouldn't have to worry about it if you buy a 2013.
I'd say most guys with 2012s and the latest factory flashes don't much worry about it. My bike is adequately smooth at low speed and deliciously so at high speed. It's a non issue, although I'd convinced myself I needed Fat Ducs or a PCV to smooth out the low end. So much so that I bought a PCV with the O2 kit and map switch, but have never gotten around to installing it. I came to the conclusion it wasn't worth the bother. The whole package will be offered up for sale at some point and I'll continue to run the bike just the way it came from the factory until or unless I go with somebody's flash.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #4862
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 65
I would agree the 2012's with the newest of programming likely have their low RPM issues improved.
Because my 2012 (purchased Nov, 12) ran much better than most everyone's description of low RPM surging, and roughness.
BUT,.... While on vacation in Jan. near Fort Myers FL, I dropped by the Duc. dealer.
The service writer pulled out a Shift-tech o2 manipulator and told me to give it a try.
Now my Multistrada runs like butter from idle an any gear!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM   #4863
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
I had a 08' Triumph Sprint St 1050 triple, a very nice engine and it would lug under 3000 rpm's, my MTS 1200 does not like being under 3500 rpm but I attribute that more to the way it's geared as opposed to fueling. I have no 02 gizmos and I have no problem in town or in traffic.
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:36 AM   #4864
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
My 13 MTS runs very well, and is very smooth. The only range it does not like running in is below 45 mph in 6th gear. It's simply geared too tall.

I just got back from a 2300 mile ride with my brother (Ninja 1000) and I can say the bike is simply superb. The suspension is just wonderful, the bike is entirely too easy to ride, and it’s extremely confidence inspiring. The difference in the riding modes is subtle but worth the effort to change them. I rode Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee over a six day stretch, spending a good amount of time on roads like 28, 129, 219, 58, 421, BRP, etc. In sport mode the bike is quite firm but not overly so. It tracks, steers and turns in such a way that it makes you want to run deeper into corners and simply begs you to go faster...great in smooth fast corners or in twisty bits. In touring mode the ride is softer and more comfortable but it still is quite capable, even if there is a bit more weight transfer during braking and a slight wiggle when encountering big bumps mid corner. It’s superb for fast sweeping turns, or when you want to go fast but remain relaxed and comfy..It’s really the best all around, do everything mode. Urban mode is great in the rain. I spent a day and a half riding in rain during this trip and the softer suspension, reduced power, smoother throttle response, increased traction control, and ABS settings are just the ticket for improved confidence in the wet. The comfort (except for the standard seat...it’s not great) is a major strong point of the bike, even if the center stand does hit your left foot, and I didn't have any aches, pains, or soreness after each day, or even after the whole trip was over. For anyone interested in the grandturismo windscreen, it really works well, even if it’s a tad noisy like the stock windscreen. In the mornings it was in the 30's and warmed up into the 50's for most of the trip and the GT screen did a great job of keeping the brisk wind off of me. It also works really well in the rain...it keeps quite a bit of the water off of your chest, as do the hand guards for your gloves. The top box and the saddlebags absolutely did not leak BTW...The brakes work great and are easy to modulate but they do need a bit more initial bite, for me...most likely the compound of the pads. On the BRP the bike is quite happy in 4th and 5th gears...6th is not really useable unless you are seriously hauling the mail. The drive out of corners is fantastic, and the engine is very smooth...the bike simply makes riding more fun, comfortable, easy, and safer...regardless of the conditions or distance you want to ride.

If anyone considering this bike has any doubts about the engine or the power output of the 13 model forget them...great torque, fantastic power, and great smoothness is what it’s all about.

So far, (4300 mi in 2 months of ownership) I can't say enough good things about the bike...it’s also the ONLY bike I've ever owned where I didn't feel the need to change stuff to make it better! (Except for the seat that is)

Also, during this ride the worst MPG I saw was 43.2, (Interstate at 80 MPH) and the best was 58.4. (Secondary Roads around 50 ish MPH or so. Not in a hurry) I checked this one three times because I couldn't believe it was this high...but it was. Both of these were not calculated by the on board fuel economy indicator. I was very impressed by the MPG numbers to say the least!

Flightar screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 05:57 AM
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #4865
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to report. Makes me feel even better about the deposit I just put down!
Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 AM   #4866
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,478
Have no doubts. Took a change from the standard hoops to Michelin PR3's for me to fully gel with the bike, but i now love every ride out on it.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #4867
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I have had no issues with the Scorpions...they stick much better than I expected, warm up quickly, don't hunt on rain grooves, and don't squirm on cold or wet roads. I like them quite a lot...but that said, when it comes time replace them I'm going to go with Z8's.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #4868
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 254
I liked the Scorpions too, no problems with their handling, but they wear really fast... I only got 7300 kms on them (a little under 4400 miles) which was shocking to me. I do not ride crazy, but I am big and heavy so suspect that had a lot to do with it, plus I did a lot of riding in hot weather in summer. They felt great but got down to the cords in what seemed like no time.

I replaced them with PR3s and love them, so far (almost 4000km) they are holding up great.

HIH,DD
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #4869
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 254
Oh, and one other note for anyone looking at an older MTS, my bike ('11 S Touring) runs great stock and always has with no fat Ducs or anything. I thought I would need them b/c I read a lot of people talking about lean surging, but since I got my bike I have never had a problem, smooth at low revs and pulls strong everywhere. I had a VStrom which surged like hell and drive me nuts, and this bike is night and day. Sounds like the '13s are even better which is fantastic.

I am NOT saying what anyone says on here about needing Fat Ducs is wrong BTW - just that some bikes seem better than others and so far (11600 kms)on my bike I have not needed them.

Enjoy - DD
Old 05-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #4870
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
I liked the Scorpions too, no problems with their handling, but they wear really fast... I only got 7300 kms on them (a little under 4400 miles) which was shocking to me.
I replaced them with PR3s and love them, so far (almost 4000km) they are holding up great.

HIH,DD
I got just under 4000 miles from my OEM set of Scorpions and while they had a bit of meat left, probably enough to eke another 1000 miles out, the rear took a small pinhole in the center of the tread and completely deflated in a few seconds. The source of the hole is a mystery, and it was damned hard to locate. I plugged it and rode to my dealer who was just a few miles from me at the time.

I had planned to replace with PR3s, but my dealer was extremely enthusiastic about the new Angel GTs so I bought and had those mounted. After a few hundred miles I can say I like them very much and they are both crisper and more responsive, but oddly, also more compliant feeling than the Scorps. If they equal or exceed the sort of mileage being reported for the Michelins, I'd have no problem buying them again.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #4871
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Frasers (Sydney) organised a ride up to Wiseman's ferry and beyond. Had a great turnout with over 30 Multis (and one new Hyper); mostly hotted-up Ohlins-models, but a good half-dozen of the '13 models. Met up with some top blokes, both old and new. Pace was quick, and fortunately no cops on the fun bits. Man some of you guys go hard. It was a struggle to keep up; a year of injury and not riding has really wrecked what (limited) abilities I had as a rider. found myself over-thinking corners, chopping throttle on-and-off midway through a corner, holding the bars like grim death........arrrgggghhhh!!....

After the first coffee stop I re-assessed it all. Had to remind myself that I've done this lots before (relax my arms, look around the corner, smooth roll-on of the throttle...) had a better time in the second stage and could mostly keep up. Need to get back on track......literally.

Great ride, top blokes. Epic bike. Is there a collective term for a group of Multis?

Quote of the day (Multi-rider's Motto): "C'mon fellas, let's go chase down some R1's..!"
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #4872
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Front Mudguard *$!!&?

Hey Gang,

I have seen someone address the best / only way to reattach the front mudguard to the front fender but can't find it now.

I am replacing the stock front fender with a carbon fiber front and am having a bitch of a time reattaching the front mudguard piece to the front fender. Does anyone have any tricks for this ?

Thanks,
Old 05-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #4873
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Had my 13 GT for 2 weeks now, 2k miles so far including a long wet weekend at the Ducs Along the Blue Ridge event in Mt. Airy. Bike is great in the rain. I love the suspension in sport and touring modes, havent' done much with urban.

Fueling is spot on and this thing does have gitty up and go! Kinda feels like a bigger version of my streetfighter.

The panniers are huge and you can carry a ton of stuff, I got all my weekend gear in the left side (the fitted luggage is perfect) Amazingly in the torrential rain on 420 highway miles yesterday none of the panniers leaked.

I'm glad I got this bike (traded my goldwing in on it).
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #4874
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
Had my 13 GT for 2 weeks now, 2k miles so far including a long wet weekend at the Ducs Along the Blue Ridge event in Mt. Airy. Bike is great in the rain. I love the suspension in sport and touring modes, havent' done much with urban.

Fueling is spot on and this thing does have gitty up and go! Kinda feels like a bigger version of my streetfighter.

The panniers are huge and you can carry a ton of stuff, I got all my weekend gear in the left side (the fitted luggage is perfect) Amazingly in the torrential rain on 420 highway miles yesterday none of the panniers leaked.

I'm glad I got this bike (traded my goldwing in on it).
wow, that's a big change from a goldwing. How was the wind protection on the multi? Are you using the stock screen?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #4875
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Using stock screen (gt screen is 4" taller than the 13 mts touring.)

I'm 6' 2" and on the highway with screen all the way up I didn't experience anything I consider significant buffeting, also did a good job of channeling most of the rain away from me. I'd guess my eyes are probably about 3" or so above the top of the windscreen, this is about where I ran my goldwing screen.

With the screen fully down, you do get buffeting, but doesn't seem to be a big deal for me. Course my other short distance touring bike is my 2010 duc streetfighter since I bought in 2009. So I may not be the best judge of how buffeting is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
wow, that's a big change from a goldwing. How was the wind protection on the multi? Are you using the stock screen?
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote