Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #4951
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I'm not saying that you should like chain driven motorcycles, but one can take measurements, and perform both a visual and physical check (stiffness) of the chain itself to determine its worth. If that's too much simply replace them every 8k-10k and have even less to worry about.
Yeah, I know. I switch motorcycles not quite as often as you do but generally often enough to not worry about chains wearing out. The maintenance still annoys me.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #4952
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Yeah, I know. I switch motorcycles not quite as often as you do but generally often enough to not worry about chains wearing out. The maintenance still annoys me.
You mean the cleaning and lubricating? Teflon makes a great all-in-one product to make owner's lives even simpler. What's my switching of motorcycles have to do with your own chain maintenance concerns?
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #4953
cug
--

Quote:
You mean the cleaning and lubricating? Teflon makes a great all-in-one product to make owner's lives even simpler. What's my switching of motorcycles have to do with your own chain maintenance concerns?
It was more a joke regarding the "don't worry about chains" thing. In recent years I haven't kept bikes long enough to wear out a chain ... And if I recall correctly, you're not known for keeping your bikes all too long either ...
Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #4954
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,409
Quote:
... And if I recall correctly, you're not known for keeping your bikes all too long either ...
What's that have to do with anything?
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #4955
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Time for me to share some photos of my new baby which I picked up on Saturday. I've enjoyed my camhead GS but got swept up in new bike fever with all the WC GS hype and followed that forum for months, day and night...consuming every tid bit of information on the new GS. I was #2 on the wait list at my dealer. Well a month or so before they hit the showrooms, I took out a K1600 on a demo ride and really liked a lot about the bike and it opened my eyes to something other than a GS.

I had always admired the multi and actually had considered the previous air cooled multi before I bought my F800ST in 2007. So after getting absorbed in the Ducati Multi forums for awhile I decided I simply had to demo one before i made decision on the GS or K16...so I did and haha the decision was over pretty quickly and narrowed down to Touring S, PP, GT, and/or color choices. I decided on the PP and placed a deposit and waited for a few weeks for it to arrive. I don't need to go through all the aspects of the bike which you've all heard before, but I am quite impressed with the bike and how Ducati has updated it for 2013 and appears to be listening to its customers...well except for the cruise control issue. So if anyone wants to buy a 2011 GS, let me know. Looking forward to hanging out here for a long while and learning more about the bike and deciding on various farkles...I appreciate all the information you guys have helped me with in my purchase decision.

And the poor GS here in the background crying

Old 05-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #4956
cug
--

Quote:
What's that have to do with anything?
Okay, I give up. It was a f****** joke. This hint coming from someone who doesn't keep bikes long enough to worry about chain or final drive failures made me smile here, but that's long gone by now ...

cug screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:12 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #4957
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
EJ - congrats on the PP. Ace looking bike.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #4958
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,133
MTS chain...

I don't like messing with chains much at all, and I was somewhat disappointed to be back on a bike ('10 MTS1200S) with a chain...

But I'll have to admit that after nearly 50,000 miles MTS1200 chain maintenance has been a complete non-issue. I guess chain technology (and lubricants) have improved a little since I threw the chain off my almost-new '69 CB750 at midnight coming home from a night at UC Berkeley

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #4959
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
i replaced my chain and sprockets at about 28000 miles

I lube it once at the end of the day when tourning with teflon dry lube - takes about one minute

I adjust it very rarely - thats a bit of a pain

its really been a non-issue
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #4960
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:

The only thing I know about it is that I was on a trip with a Multi owner once and he wanted to adjust his chain and it was a real PITA to do so. I was busy with my own bike at the time (R1200GS, oil check, adding a bit as it was still burning a little), so I didn't really see what he was doing, but he was swearing and sweating and it took quite a while for him to be happy.

I'm surprised, though to do it (right) there are a few steps. It could be made a lot easier for a guy who thinks it will need touching up on the road by removing the spatter guard (the secondary hugger) before leaving on a long trip, but my chain holds adjustment for very long intervals. Loosen two pinch bolts and it's then an easy adjustment of the eccentric using the supplied spanner. I find it a very precise and easy to use system compared to any double sided swing arm, but it does take a few minutes. I have not adjusted mine in 2000 miles but measure it when I lube, about every third or forth tank full.

The reason why weight is more a factor in this application is that t is all unsprung.

I am a fan of shafts, have owned many shaft driven bikes and probably will again, but find the Ducati system very well thought out. I would be surprised to ever see them fit a shaft though far stranger things have happened.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #4961
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
EJ - congrats on the PP. Ace looking bike.
Thanks!
Old 05-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #4962
Meff
half way there...

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Time for me to share some photos of my new baby which I picked up on Saturday.
Congrats EJ - bike looks beautiful.

Recently picked up a '13 GT model myself and have just reached first service, but am loving it already.

Enjoy
Meff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #4963
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
I also doubt they'll do a shaft because a redesign of the cases would be required...a lot of expense for a single model or two. I also wish the Multi was shaft drive, and the Diavel too. But a chain, for me anyway, isn't a deal breaker, despite the higher maintenance and mess. I have 4300 miles on mine so far, and the chain has not required an adjustment yet.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #4964
Gun Smoke
Banned

Oddometer: 312
I prefer the feel of a chain. I wonder how many pounds a shaft drive would add to the weight of a Multi? I would assume at least 10 pounds. I've owned three shaft drive bikes; an 1150 and 1200Gs and a K1200GT. IMO opinion Ducati are to much of a performance purist to run a shaft. If there was any performance benefit to the shaft they'd be on the MotoGP bikes. A shaft has to rob a small amount of power.

I never had any problems with my shaft drives. Never a hiccup. I put 80,000 miles on my 1150 after buying the bike with 30K on the odometer. It had right at 110,000 miles on the odo when I sold it to an inmate hear about 6 years ago; and I never did any maintenance to it other than whatever the dealer does if anything. I'm pretty sure my 2001 1150 was considered a sealed no maintenance system and that turned out to be the case for me. I have however known a guy that did lose his shaft on his 1150. (I wonder how many people know a guy who's final drive went bad. Sure you read about it here but unless you work at a dealership how many have you actually known personally to go bad.)

All that said I just prefer the chain. I think power delivery is just that tiny bit better and I prefer the looks. I usually change my chains on street bikes after about 7-8000 miles just for caution. It also keeps me from ever having to adjust the tension. Chains are cheap. I've never spent more than $225 bucks on a chain and haven't had a chain break since I was a kid on a Huffy BMX bike.

IMO
Plusses for the shaft drive - No spraying some lube on a chain

Plusses for chain - Can be fixed anywhere in the world - Can change sprockets really easily to raise or lower gearing - Peace of mind the shaft drive is not about to strand you and steal $2500 bucks out of your wallet - Looks boss.

Well that was a ramble on my part. If you see this you can skip my post. Abbreviated version - I much prefer a chain. Couldn't imagine the Multi1200 with a shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightar View Post
I also doubt they'll do a shaft because a redesign of the cases would be required...a lot of expense for a single model or two. I also wish the Multi was shaft drive, and the Diavel too. But a chain, for me anyway, isn't a deal breaker, despite the higher maintenance and mess. I have 4300 miles on mine so far, and the chain has not required an adjustment yet.
Gun Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #4965
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Chains are far more efficient than shafts: A shaft drive typically robs anywhere between 5-10% of the power through spline inefficiency, friction losses etc.......chains lose a lot less.

Also KTM have stated that they did not even consider a shaft for their new 1190 Adventure; Reason? - After two decades of winning the Dakar rallies they never thought chains were ever an issue to serious offroad riding......
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote