Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM   #5026
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonaben View Post
the original tires are fantastic on the road and fine on the gravel, but when the road ends it is time for tkc 80s!!!
+1!
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:01 PM   #5027
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I use all the fenderage I can not because I like the way it looks, but to keep the bike as free from schmutz as I can.

By the way, that is exactly what my rear Scorpion looked like the day it gave up the hunt. You are no doubt thinking you can squeeze another 500 miles out of it in the same way there is always one more brush load in the toothpaste tube. But I'm here to tell you: be prepared!

I have the same miter saw you do, but a much nicer table saw

Not that it matters, much, but I have no table saw and my miter saw is an 89 dollar harbor freight chicago tools machine. Goes very well with my measure once cuts twice wood work approach. On the other hand, my Multistrada balances it out, it is an awesome machine!

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #5028
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Not that it matters, much, but I have no table saw and my miter saw is an 89 dollar harbor freight chicago tools machine. Goes very well with my measure once cuts twice wood work approach. On the other hand, my Multistrada balances it out, it is an awesome machine!
I have a competent cabinet saw, but even so I have found my measure once, cut twice system can make for real disappointment!

(Some woodwork wants a nice table saw.....but I have found none that has to do with motorcycles).
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:06 AM   #5029
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I like them just fine, both more compliant and better confidence than the Scorpions they replaced. One thousand miles, so too soon to comment on wear except to say they still look virtually new and the embossed "GT" in the center of the tread is still clearly visible.

I have not ridden them in the wet yet, so no comment on wet grip, but overall so far,
Right on, thanks!
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:09 AM   #5030
NM Ducati
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
For you guys looking for Ducati comfort seats I have a slightly used set for sale. They look new & have less than 3K miles on them. I replaced them with a Rick Mayer set. PM me if anyone is interested.
NM Ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:28 AM   #5031
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaBen View Post
The original tires are fantastic on the road and fine on the gravel, but when the road ends it is time for TKC 80s!!!
Thats right!!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #5032
Meff
half way there...

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Ducati View Post
How are you guys liking the new Pirelli Angel GT's & how are they wearing?
Too early to tell on the wear as I'm only just past first service on them, but turn in feels very good and predictable. After initial scrubbing in, they have nice feel and even grip when pushed. I have not ridden the bike with other tires on it however, so no comparisons.

YMMV
Meff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #5033
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Had a test ride on the 2013 Multi S today. Here is my thoughts, mostly compared to my 2010 single cam GS with ESA. Bear with me, as I can feel a long one coming :

All controls are very light and easily modulated. The clutch and transmission deserve special mention as they are the sweetest mechanisms I've ever used. The brakes are great and again very easy to use. The rear brake is stupendously weak, I had to reaaaaaaly put some muscle into it to get the ABS to engage.

The bike itself is very well balanced and easy to maneuver even at walking speed. At speed (100mph+) very easy to change direction and is rock solid in turns.

DSS works as advertised. Even in sport mode when you hit a bumpy section the suspension just soaks it up and the chasis never gets upset, even while leaned over. But the problem is, even the softest mode is still firmer than the GS. Never uncomfortable though, the system is so well adjusted it can only be called firm, even on the bumpiest road. I wish it could be adjusted to be even more 'cadillac like', if you will, for the touring mode.
Regarding my concerns on fork dive and rear squat, the DSS controls it well enough that I wasn't distracted, but there is still quite a bit of both. People complaining about the lack of feel from the front end because of less fork dive should ride a GS

I found the seat pretty hard but quite comfortable. The riding position suits me fine (6' 2'', 200lbs) my knees were in a very natural position, same with my arms (the bike had a 1'' riser). The seat was pretty short for me, so on a day long ride I might find myself too confined. The general setup was also problematic for me when standing up. I thought the bar was too close to my body and quite low. I have to tell you now that I find most bikes have a similar feel for me, so YMMV.
My foot had no problems with the center stand, maybe because I have long legs and when I put the balls of my feet on the pegs, my heels naturally are quite high.
The screen was also better than expected. In the lowest position I had smooth airflow from my shoulders up, lots of wind noise but no buffeting, almost like a naked bike. As I raised the windshield to higher positions all that changed was where the windblast started to hit. The only noticeable problem with the setup was, wherever I set the screen, I had strong wind blast right at the visor area, making open visor riding (with sunglasses) pretty uncomfortable at any speed above 40mph. I also tried with a touratech add on thingy (the one that clips on top of the screen) and it was very good, again no buffeting and much less noise. This would be the config I would use as it is very easy to change settings according to the weather.
Although we were never stuck in traffic (can one do that on a bike?!?) but still I could feel heat coming from the radiator. I would guess that when the fan comes on at low speed riding or stop and go traffic, you would have broiled legs for dinner.

The RBW is the best I've used yet, no lag at all and very easy to modulate. The differences between the modes are very apparent. The one thing I don't like is the way it will prevent you from opening too much throttle at very low revs. I know it is to protect the engine and maintain tractability, but still I would rather be reminded of my hamfistedness by the engine, not some electronic device. The engine is crazy sweet, with great power and adequate torque. It probably has as much or even more torque than the GS at similar RPMs but the RBW probably doesn't let you realise that by making it soooo smooth. I found the engine was able to go as low as 2000rpm in the low gears without problem, and anything over 3000 is fair game at any gear and throttle opening. Oh and the soundtrack is wicked .

I didn't have a pillion so can't comment on that. I am not a fan of the instruments. There is more than enough data but I prefer analog gauges especially for the rpms. The switchgear could also be more logical but after a few hours you already get the hang of it.

For all you offroad nuts out there, we had TKC80s fitted and the 2nd half of my ride was on those. It was pretty exciting at first on the asphalt as there was virtually no grip, but we broke those suckers in. Sorry, couldn't try them out off road due to lack of time. Considering the general balance of the machine I am sure it would fare well on any non technical and/or soft stuff. So adequate for my needs. The bike had sw motech crash bars, tons of touratech stuff and barkbusters. If you add regular side case brackets, I think it may survive offroad spills quite intact.

To sum it all up, I think the bike is great It is actually too fast for normal roads as you regularly go over 100mph with the shortest blast. Excellent brakes and handling, perfect suspension and pretty good comfort. I believe this is the best sport touring bike on the market today.

But...

I saw the new Hyperstrada today and I think I'm in love
Perhaps the future holds two bikes for the stable
(sorry if I bored you guys)
Old 05-31-2013, 12:26 PM   #5034
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dultanur View Post
Had a test ride on the 2013 Multi S today. Here is my thoughts, mostly compared to my 2010 single cam GS with ESA. Bear with me, as I can feel a long one coming :
Nice review...thanks for sharing your thoughts. They mirror mine as well...I just bought a new Multi and came from a '11 GS. By the way, 2010 GS is a DOHC motor if I am not mistaken.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #5035
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
By the way, 2010 GS is a DOHC motor if I am not mistaken.
Heh, I know it SHOULD be. Thats why I stress the fact its a single cam
It says 2010 on the documents but it was built in 2009. But I got it with close to 20% discount, so can't complain
Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #5036
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,161
I had the 2010 Multi12, and now the HyperStrada. You will be surprised how close the motor feels and sounds like the Multi12. The suspension is not up to it tho, but the bike is much lighter.

Sitting ergos are tighter than the Multi12, even tho the seat height is the same.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #5037
OneTraveller
Social Reject

Oddometer: 123
I fitted an Alaska Leather sheepskin buttpad to mine today and that has solved the hard seat issue.

Also have a Schuberth C3 on order, which should solve most of the noise issue.

I love this bike.

Mike
To paraphrase Antoine de St-Exupery
I ride because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.
OneTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #5038
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
"The one thing I don't like is the way it will prevent you from opening too much throttle at very low revs. I know it is to protect the engine and maintain tractability..."

WOW....did you try whacking the throttle in Sport mode?
It will pop a wheelie and sit you on your ass faster than any big bike I have ridden.
Pure unadulterated power.
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #5039
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I fitted the Ohlins semi active module to my '12 today. Very easy installation and set up. Ride report forthcoming.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #5040
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
"The one thing I don't like is the way it will prevent you from opening too much throttle at very low revs. I know it is to protect the engine and maintain tractability..."

WOW....did you try whacking the throttle in Sport mode?
It will pop a wheelie and sit you on your ass faster than any big bike I have ridden.
Pure unadulterated power.
RC
Was thinking along the same lines....in those momentary lapses of reason that I commit to flicking to "Sport" mode, the only word that consumes me is "FEROCIOUS" ..........I've owned a few sport bikes, but the power delivery in the full-on mode is outrageous. It only makes sense in context:

A few weeks back, our local Ducati dealer held a Multi-owners ride day. Amidst the 30-odd owners that showed up, there were a fair representation of talented, experienced (read "racers") owners who showed up. The speeds they carried through corners were ludicrously high. At the halfway coffee stop, there was a fair mix of chatter, brogadocio, and amiable chatter.

My favourite line came form one of the quicker fellows -

Quote:
"c'mon guys, lets go hunt some R1s.....!!..
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote