Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #5041
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc View Post
port mode?
It will pop a wheelie and sit you on your ass faster than any big bike I have ridden.
Pure unadulterated power.
RC
I meant reaaaaaly low rpms (maybe 6th gear 2000rpm?)... My GS would shudder like crazy to let you know you are being stupid. The multi just doesn't open the throttle butterfly all the way, only as much as the engine can take at that rpm. Well that was my feeling anyway, maybe I am mistaken.

Oh yeah, I agree wholly on the 'flip the bike on its back before you can say oh shit' remark about the sport mode thats what makes it so fun methinks...
Old 06-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #5042
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
I'm considering the GT screen...how much was it?
It was $190.00 after the discount I got. Pro Italia has it listed for $212.90
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #5043
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I ordered the new Ohlins SCU for my Multistrada S 2011 today , should get it by June 21 at the latest , from what I've read it is an interesting bit of software .
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #5044
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoisgreat View Post
I ordered the new Ohlins SCU for my Multistrada S 2011 today , should get it by June 21 at the latest , from what I've read it is an interesting bit of software .
I hope someone puts the Ohlins on a shock dyno with that new SCU. Otherwise, there is nothing, but anecdotal reports from people's butt-dynos on whether it actually does anything at all.

Another thing would be to have a blind demo with 2 bikes...one with and one without....I'll bet few could tell any difference based on the reports so far.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #5045
dultanur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Question

Even if the SCU adjust only according to speed and amount of throttle, it would be a good piece of kit for the money, wouldn't it?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #5046
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post
Was thinking along the same lines....in those momentary lapses of reason that I commit to flicking to "Sport" mode, the only word that consumes me is "FEROCIOUS" ..........I've owned a few sport bikes, but the power delivery in the full-on mode is outrageous. It only makes sense in context:

A few weeks back, our local Ducati dealer held a Multi-owners ride day. Amidst the 30-odd owners that showed up, there were a fair representation of talented, experienced (read "racers") owners who showed up. The speeds they carried through corners were ludicrously high. At the halfway coffee stop, there was a fair mix of chatter, brogadocio, and amiable chatter.

My favourite line came form one of the quicker fellows -

Maybe I misread but hunt down some R1s? I agree the multi has a monster motor but R1s are in a different class sorry. My best friend owns a cycle shop & they primarliary deal with metric sport bikes. He had a FZ1 which is like a upright R1, 980 miles on it & I could have got it for $4,000 but I have Ducati fever & not a fan of the inline 4. No substitute for V twin sound
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #5047
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
Maybe I misread but hunt down some R1s? I agree the multi has a monster motor but R1s are in a different class sorry. My best friend owns a cycle shop & they primarliary deal with metric sport bikes. He had a FZ1 which is like a upright R1, 980 miles on it & I could have got it for $4,000 but I have Ducati fever & not a fan of the inline 4. No substitute for V twin sound
No doubt, but comes down to rider ability typically. Heck, I even pass some sport bikes in the twisties.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #5048
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
No doubt, but comes down to rider ability typically. Heck, I even pass some sport bikes in the twisties.
Absolutely, ever read "It ain't the tool" by Fred Rau. I saw the same thing following Rob Beach through the Alps. Rob embarrassed many a super sport rider on his R80GS.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #5049
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceonthebeach3 View Post
Maybe I misread but hunt down some R1s? I agree the multi has a monster motor but R1s are in a different class sorry. ..........
On a track, certainly.......but therein lies their limits: on (real world) roads, all those 180+hp crotch-rockets struggle to find grip without bouncing their jockeys off sideways through too-hard track-focused suspension.

As I said, the guys I rode with were experienced riders. A good 4-5 of them race regularly in club days. They unanimously agreed that, given their high-power track bikes and sport machines, they would jump on their Multis each and every time when it came to fanging about on roads. Multis (and most any bike with long travel suspension) can cope far better across B-roads, crappy surfaces, potholes.......I've seen decent motard riders on single-cylinder bikes leave big bore sport bikes in their wake on everything bar a billiard-smooth highway.

The beauty of bikes' performance is that is not alway about horsepower...
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #5050
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Absolutely, ever read "It ain't the tool" by Fred Rau. I saw the same thing following Rob Beach through the Alps. Rob embarrassed many a super sport rider on his R80GS.
I had a track-only 848 at Phillip island a couple of years ago, wrenching the living daylights out of that howling v twin for all it was worth. Imagine my shock when, at MG corner, I was hanging off the bike, knee down, when some rider on a R1200GS rounds me on the outside, and passes ahead....cylinder head scraping on the Tarmac!!

Sheer brilliance!
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #5051
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

NEW OHLINS SCU UPGRADE FOR MULTISTRADA 1200S PART #35000-03

by Scoisgreat on Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:00 pm
Just ordered this from Nichols Sports Bikes in the US $312 + $16 shipping - should be here by June 21 .

NEW Öhlins for Ducati Multistrada 1200S 2010-2012.

All Ducati Multistrada 1200S in these years will be eligible for a new SCU (Smart EC), which increases the potential of Öhlins suspension according to the new standards of performance electronics seeds Activate.
The control code 35000-03, available at all dealer Andreani, adapt the performance of the suspension according to your guide. If you drive aggressively and fast, hydraulics become more sporty, if you drive in relax in style walk, the suspension will be softer and will follow your style.

Assembly is simple, just disconnect the original control unit placed under the seat and connect the new one, taking care to reposition it in the space provided. Switch on and go! No extra configuration. Select the type of driving that influences the initial preload, and the rest deals with the new control by adjusting the compression and rebound adjustments according to your pace.

Am setting up my SAG now . I weigh 178 lbs [80.90 kilos]
Front forks - sport mode - 1 person
- front forks - fully extended front forks with no weight on front tire , distance from seal to casting is 6 5/8'' [168mm] ,
- front forks - just bike weight- distance from seal to casting is 5 1/8'' [130mm] - free SAG is at 38mm ,
- front forks - with me on the bike distance from seal to casting is 4 3/8'' [112mm] dynamic or loaded SAG at front is 56mm - dynamic SAG is at 33.33% on the front , not at 30% but close enough as I don't want to do the manual preload adjustment on the front , off to check the rear .
Rear shock - sport mode - 1 person
- rear shock - fully extended with no weight on rear tire - measured from spindle to reference point- 25'' [635mm]
- rear shock with me on bike - measured from spindle to reference point- 22 3/4'' [578mm] dynamic SAG at rear is 57mm
- rear shock - preload set to 7-bike weight measured from spindle to reference point 23 3/4''- free SAG is 1 1/4'' [32mm]
The good thing is my dynamic front fork SAG and dynamic rear shock SAG are within 1mm of each other , now just need to wait for new SCU.

Scoisgreat screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 11:40 AM
Old 06-01-2013, 09:22 PM   #5052
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Quote:
Even if the SCU adjust only according to speed and amount of throttle, it would be a good piece of kit for the money, wouldn't it?

I think for $312 bucks and after reading quite a few experienced riders positive input , it's worth a try , of course experienced riders input will never be good enough for some skeptics and even though they will never try it somehow they feel a need to trash it .
Old 06-01-2013, 09:24 PM   #5053
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I hope someone puts the Ohlins on a shock dyno with that new SCU. Otherwise, there is nothing, but anecdotal reports from people's butt-dynos on whether it actually does anything at all.

Another thing would be to have a blind demo with 2 bikes...one with and one without....I'll bet few could tell any difference based on the reports so far.

I dunno. At the end of the day, these guys know their bikes best, if there is a difference, they will feel it. And the butt dyno is the only thing that matters to us bikes owners. In my humble opinion.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 09:31 PM   #5054
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Quote:
I'll bet few could tell any difference based on the reports so far

I don't know what reports your reading , but the ones I've read all stated the bike was more planted , handled better , felt smoother and more in control .
Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #5055
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
I did a blind test. It was a disaster. I didn't make it off my driveway before testing my Rizoma water pump guard. Man, does that thing suck!

A blind test is easy to conceive in theory but harder to implement, obviously. The problem would be making sure you had two bikes in the same level of tune, same tires, same roads, same speeds, otherwise, left to the owner, the easiest thing to do is simply to ride it for a few weeks, then go back to the original settings and see how that worked out. That's sensible, easy to achieve and probably practical enough.

The shock dyno thing makes some sense, but in this instance won't show you any differences since you are testing the same shock only at different settings. It's clearly about set up with this box, and if you trust that Ohlins knows how to set up a suspension and can write the software to do that for it's system, you probably won't be disappointed.

Everybody knows the hardware to make this into Skyhook doesn't exist in the pre-13 bikes, but I have some disappointing news. The hot set up in active suspensions is magnetorheological damping, not stepper motors. There's room for improvement even in Skyhook.

Again, I think it's great that Ohlins is supporting their system and as you know (Ziff) because most of us whackos are all over every 'strada forum we can find, rider reports are starting to come in. I could C&P mine from the other list but at the least, the set up function seems to work.

Placebo effect? Maybe but usually when I spend money on something arcane, I bring a healthy dose of skepticism along with me. I don't expect Ohlins to say "hey, our thing plays second fiddle to Skyhook and is really just a sop and a half step to you guys until we get the whole thing into place and then we'll rub Sach's nose in it." If they made an improvement, I expect them to do the thing that corporations are trained to do: trumpet it loudly with tag lines like "fewer calories, more filling." What actual data exists for Skyhook beyond reaction timing? The main claim is that it's loads better. And Aprilia says theirs is even better than that,but hard data? Pretty much "reacts in miliiseceonds, more adjustment range"

As has been said, for $300 bucks if it gives you a good set up it could be well worth it to a great many of us.

I put mine on just like they told me to, and when I activated it, the little motor made whirring noises, the shock rotated and the rear wheel moved just like they said it would. Now the bike is a bit more planted and it feels better to me.

Please don't spoil my good time!

Pampero screwed with this post 06-02-2013 at 01:32 AM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote