Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #5071
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
I went to the Duc dealer to get some handguard for my Versys and man that multistrada is a g-damn piece of jewelery from one end to the other.

How much hap do they make?

Also they appear to be a little top heavy, at least more than my Versys.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #5072
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkaan View Post
Time for my first visit to a Ducati dealer with my new to me MTS. Dealer quoted me $599 plus parts for the 15k service. Just wondering how badly am i getting ripped off? What is everyone else paying?
The 15K is a major service, and that's par for the course, not too bad actually. You'll need a belt, oil and filter, whatever shims the valves may or may not take, replace fluids (coolant, brake fluid) if necessary, and if you need brake pads, add those in too. It takes an experienced mechanic the better part of a working day to disassemble the bike, do the work, walk around and check the called for items and reassemble the bike. A fair enough quote for labor.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #5073
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
that's a great price for that service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
The 15K is a major service, and that's par for the course, not too bad actually. You'll need a belt, oil and filter, whatever shims the valves may or may not take, replace fluids (coolant, brake fluid) if necessary, and if you need brake pads, add those in too. It takes an experienced mechanic the better part of a working day to disassemble the bike, do the work, walk around and check the called for items and reassemble the bike. A fair enough quote for labor.
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #5074
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 256
I have read that service (15k miles/24k kms) is more like $1000-1500 because it's the "Desmo service" with the valve adjustment. I want to find somewhere to learn to do it myself for when it's off warranty... Plus I hate having someone else do something, I prefer to do it myself.

Doesn't sound too bad gkaan...

D
Old 06-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #5075
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,473
If dealer does absolutely everything that is necessary for 15K service, he is going to lose money on this deal. It should be about double that. Remember, this service includes a lot of stuff down to fork fluid change.

D.

Quote:
Time for my first visit to a Ducati dealer with my new to me MTS. Dealer quoted me $599 plus parts for the 15k service. Just wondering how badly am i getting ripped off? What is everyone else paying?

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #5076
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
that's a great price for that service.
I couched my words; yours (and Motodisac's) are more accurate. Agreed, an excellent deal for that much work.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #5077
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Also they appear to be a little top heavy, at least more than my Versys.
Will run circles around the Kawasaki. Feel sublime once rolling. The only trick is, like all these long suspension bikes, climbing on board if you're shorter. More, much more, than twice the "hap"(?...HP?) your Versys makes. If by hap you mean "happiness" then multiply by four unless you drop it on it's side. That's not hap.

Nice to see the thread rolling again.

I rode a '13 demo today. Nice bike.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #5078
Scoisgreat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
How much hap do they make

150 HP. Happiness unlimited !
Scoisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #5079
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
This should help - http://www.ducati.ms/forums/216-2010...e-example.html

For the sake of everyone here's a copy paste of the first post there:

"I just had the 15k service done and I thought I would share the expense so people would know what to expect.

11.75 hour labor, including:
1hr for oil, filter, brake and clutch fluid change (coolant had been done two months ago under recal)
3.5hr belts and valves
2hr for head and hub bearing disassemble, clean, grease, etc
1hr remove and instal forks
1hr fork oil change
1.25hr troubleshoot fuel gauge (warranty issue)
2hr troubleshoot run out on discs (warranty issue)

Oil, filter, prices what you would expect
8 shims $140
Belts $140
So the actual service was 8.5 hours.

In retrospect I would have bought this down a little by doing the head and hub bearings myself, brake fluid myself and taken the forks off for them to do.

Might help someone plan for their service."

So in short +1 on what Motodisiac and zvez said. And I would double check what would your dealer actually do as part of the 15K service they quoted you on.

Quote:

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #5080
t-bills
mcs are dangerous

Oddometer: 280
Notice it was $600 plus parts. Mine ended up being pretty much that. The belts alone will run you $150. Add in oil, filter, shims, etc. and you are looking at ~$800-1000 depending on how many shims, if you need brake pads, etc.

Changing the fork fluid is now off the table at 15k, so this reduces the hours quite a bit.
t-bills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #5081
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

So I installed the Power Commander V and O2 optimizer I bought from Pampero over the last few days.

Summary:

It's a huge amount of work to install on the MTS. You have to tear just about the whole bike apart - all fairings off, tank off, at least lift the airbox (collossal PIA by the way) then plug in the PCV to all connections (TPS, coils, injectors (the hardest connections to make because the connections for the injectors are buried under the airbox) the o2 sensors (if doing the optimizer), etc, etc.). It's a lot of work, but if you are careful and take your time it's simple, just a lot of parts everywhere.

I noticed an improvement right away. My bike has never stuttered or flat spotted too badly (before this I would have said not at all because it's so much better than my VStrom was) but after setting the PCV up to work with the o2 optimizer I notice the power is really smoooooottthh and the bike is easier to ride, especially at lower speeds. It tends to be less sensitive to throttle on/off in 1st and 2nd gear around town in touring mode. On the throttle it pulls like hell. It always did but "seems" to be even stronger. Of course a lot of this is subjective so maybe it's all in my head!

Anyway, I am glad I did it and big thanks to Pompero who is just a great guy and a pleasure to deal with!

thx, DD
Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #5082
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

I'm glad it worked out, D. The installation put me off, I can tell you!
I'm still on the fence but considering the Tune Boy option.

You were mighty fine to deal with yourself. As you said, you meet the nicest people on a Ducati! See you in Victoria over Labour Day weekend! Did you use the resident map?
Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #5083
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Thanks Pampero! Resident map? I'll have to go back and look through the emails to refresh my memory... Gettin' old.

D
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #5084
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
Thanks Pampero! Resident map? I'll have to go back and look through the emails to refresh my memory... Gettin' old.

D
resident map = programming already on the PC

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #5085
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Ahhh - thx Bigziff.

Pampero - no, I tried it but it actually had a stutter in 2nd gear so I loaded the Dynojet stock map and configured it for the o2 analyzer (by putting 8s in the closed loop area of the map under 5250 RPM)

Now I need to do 2 things, all suggestions/help welcome:

1. Adjust it for a K&N Filter. I have the stock exhaust (for now) but put a K&N in as soon as I got the bike. Not sure exactly what to change - reading up on it but anyone who has any advice is appreciated

2. Ask Dynojet about the o2 analyzer. I see it is no longer available on their website for the MTS1200 (it is for the 848 but not the Multi...). I'd like to know why. The o2 analyzer aims for an AFR of 13.6 which a good (and very smart) friend suggests is too rich and may damage my catalytic converter. I'm not sure so am planning to call Dynojet. Again, any advice is welcome.

ride safe guys,

DD