User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #5146
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Dynabeads? Seriously?

You might want to talk to an actual tire engineer, you know, the guys who's entire lives involve the design and manufacturing of the tires you put on your motorcycle, before you use the Dynabeads. Of course, they're only engineers, not a bunch of fat guys with cruisers offering their anecdotal evidence on an anonymous motorcycle forum.

You could also try planting some magic Dynabeads in the yard and seeing if a beanstalk grows!

'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #5147
pmelby
Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Dynabeads? Seriously?

You might want to talk to an actual tire engineer, you know, the guys who's entire lives involve the design and manufacturing of the tires you put on your motorcycle, before you use the Dynabeads. Of course, they're only engineers, not a bunch of fat guys with cruisers offering their anecdotal evidence on an anonymous motorcycle forum.

You could also try planting some magic Dynabeads in the yard and seeing if a beanstalk grows!

They work for me.

As the dealer is 150+miles away, and I service my own bike, the dynabeads just make sense. I've used them on 4 sets of tires on 3 different bikes, every time they worked as advertised.

Your mileage may vary, as the saying goes.

cheers,
melby
'85 K100RT
pmelby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #5148
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,424
Have you ever tried leaving them out of the tires and seeing if you can tell a difference?
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #5149
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Dynabeads? Seriously?

That would be the last people you would want to ask about tires

Now if you REALLY want to know the TRUTH about tires, talk to a 60 year old fat redneck darkside car tire cruiser rider. Then and ONLY then will you know the truth!
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #5150
soggysandwich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Have you ever tried leaving them out of the tires and seeing if you can tell a difference?
WHAT ?....and find out the truth?......that would be silly !

[ sarcasm ]
soggysandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #5151
Guppy Gulch
2010 Ducati MTS1200S

Oddometer: 92
Question New Multistrada Owner

I just bought a 2010 Multistrada. I live in Arizona but the bike is in Washington state. It is the S Touring version. It is primarily stock with the exception of a Ramball mount on the handlebars and aftermarket fog/spot headlights added under the fairing.

I'm going to fly and ride. It is a 1700 mile trip. I'm not new to motorcycles but I've never ridden the Multi. Can any of you seasoned owners recommend anything critical for the long journey? I'm having new D616's fitted but that's about it unless you guys recommend something else.

Mostly, I'm thinking about a windscreen vario (Laminar Lip) or throttle lock type stuff for convenience and comfort. The farkles will be added in time.

Thanks!
Guppy Gulch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #5152
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy Gulch View Post
I just bought a 2010 Multistrada. I live in Arizona but the bike is in Washington state. It is the S Touring version. It is primarily stock with the exception of a Ramball mount on the handlebars and aftermarket fog/spot headlights added under the fairing.

I'm going to fly and ride. It is a 1700 mile trip. I'm not new to motorcycles but I've never ridden the Multi. Can any of you seasoned owners recommend anything critical for the long journey? I'm having new D616's fitted but that's about it unless you guys recommend something else.

Mostly, I'm thinking about a windscreen vario (Laminar Lip) or throttle lock type stuff for convenience and comfort. The farkles will be added in time.Thanks!
You might want to move this to the "regular" Mutistrada 1200 thread (this thread is for the 2013 models) but as respects tires, I'd recommend you also look into either the PR3s or Pirelli Angel GTs. PR3s if wet grip is top priority, Angel GTs if dry grip is your thing. Both are extremely capable and long lasting hoops. I'm running the Pirellis and quite happy with them, no complaints. Nothing wrong with the Dunlops, but the other two I mentioned seem to be a more popular touring tire with this crowd.

If it were me, I'd just pick it up and ride it home and decide what it needed after I put some miles on it. Seattle to AZ is not a huge hump in good weather, should be a very fine ride. Did you buy it privately or from a dealer?
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #5153
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 171
Wow its been three years already since I got my multitasker! I've been following this thread since post #1 and picked up one of the first ones. It still offers the thrill and never gets old. Sure I've thought about selling it and getting something more off road worthy but I always price it too high and hope no one bites. If it burst into flames tomorrow I'd just go get another one. That's all I had to say.Carry on.

Oh and......
http://
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #5154
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 687
Anybodys got one with super high miles?

How did it hold up? What were the big ticket repairs and maintenance? Valve adjustments? etc..

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #5155
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 171
Mine competes with a lot of other toys so not a huge amount of mileage (only 13k) but it does seem to handle a beating well. Lots of forest roads both paved and unpaved, as much off road as I'm brave enough to do, and a few unexpected hits that I would have sworn bent a rim and so far so good. One saddlebag is a little loose because the plastic retainer broke when I dropped it in the snow. Still stays on. Hopefully it will continue to hold up.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #5156
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Anybodys got one with super high miles?

How did it hold up? What were the big ticket repairs and maintenance? Valve adjustments? etc..
There's a couple of them close to 10,000 miles. No big problems
Just kidding for the most part. Same problem was asked over at the Moto Guzzi stelvio thread and no one fessed up to much over 10K. I know there's the guy from Italy that rode around the world on one or something to that effect, but any others?
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #5157
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
There's a couple of them close to 10,000 miles. No big problems
Just kidding for the most part. Same problem was asked over at the Moto Guzzi stelvio thread and no one fessed up to much over 10K. I know there's the guy from Italy that rode around the world on one or something to that effect, but any others?
Doc Greg who used to post here has 35K on his and no major problems. Ten K is nothing. I have almost that much on my 8 month old bike, plenty of guys with 25K or more, but this thread is not the place to do deep research. This question is better answered over on Ducati.ms by somebody who owns one. There is more population, more activity and more higher mile bikes there. I think the usual answer is that the guys with 40K miles, which represents the high end of the scale as a rule, are still going strong. The motor is a good solid unit and very well proven through several generations of development, frames and cycle parts are very high quality. The questions about bikes like these (all of them, the GS, for example, is not exempt) revolves around electronics but so far these bikes are holding up. Only the first of them are coming off of warranty so you really don't often hear about big dollar repairs (there have been failures, but generally in warranty). The 15K service is costly, but then, so is servicing a Goldwing.

These bikes do cost more to own than, say an S10, but so do all the Europeans. The basics all seem to be there for very good durability. Service costs on the other hand, will be higher and ,except for skilled owners, much of it requires professional attention. The 15K service, which is the first big one (the others are basically oil services) will run around $1000 on average, more in some places, less in others. My bike has been good with few issues (lost the heated grips to a short, replaced under warranty) but it's still relatively new. I do love riding it. It's a terrific machine from the rider's perspective, and I trust it.

Pampero screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 09:12 PM
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 AM   #5158
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Took the MTS 1200 in for warranty work. Engine light would come on with any other indicator (turn signals, high beam), the gas gauge was going from full to half to full and the range followed, the key fob worked about 60% of the time. Also the coolant SB. The bike has 15,000 miles on it, is one year old. When they did the coolant it plugged the radiator with what the dealer called "gunk".

From what the bulletin said, there was a run of bad coolant that corroded the engine. The dealer made it sound like when they did the flush, a lot of other stuff came out. Waiting to hear back from Ducati. But want to know what this "stuff" is. Jelled coolant? Did it crystallize? Or is it corroded aluminum?

Any one heard of this?

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #5159
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Hell I've put 7k on my 13 gt since May! Since I average 20k miles a year and bikes are my main source of transport except for groceries when use the wife's car. I should put a ton of miles on this one. I do have two other bikes tho.

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #5160
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post

Oh and......

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote