Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 PM   #5251
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by irongrady View Post
I'll get around 32mpg out of a tank if I ride the hell out of it. 38-40 is more the norm but I have a full termi system installed. I wouldn't be looking to trade it in because of lower than expected mpg though.
It boggles my mind that we don't bitch and complain about what crappy mileage our bikes get. 32 freaking mpgs from something that weighs 400+ pounds!!! My wife's Sonata 2.0 turbo gets 34 mpg *easily* if not better, on trips we average 40mpg some days, carrying a loaded trunk and four adults! Neither of us are gentle drivers either. So that's 275HP pushing 4000 pounds.

It just doesn't add up and the bike manufacturers should be cranking out bikes that can easily double the mileage of a car. I'm not some enviro weenie looking to save the planet, I spent my working years in Alberta where they're very good at raping the planet for all that good oil we so like to burn and I have no problem with that. I'm not about to go buy a Honda NC700 either, in fact a just bought a guzzi so you know I'm not TOO concerned about mileage because guzzi's sure aren't known for being thrifty either.

End of rant, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #5252
irongrady
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
But..... Your wife's Sonata doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds and power wheelie through the first 4 gears. We get super car performance with econobox mileage. Seems like a fair trade to me.
irongrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #5253
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
It boggles my mind that we don't bitch and complain about what crappy mileage our bikes get. 32 freaking mpgs from something that weighs 400+ pounds!!! My wife's Sonata 2.0 turbo gets 34 mpg *easily* if not better, on trips we average 40mpg some days, carrying a loaded trunk and four adults! Neither of us are gentle drivers either. So that's 275HP pushing 4000 pounds.

It just doesn't add up and the bike manufacturers should be cranking out bikes that can easily double the mileage of a car. I'm not some enviro weenie looking to save the planet, I spent my working years in Alberta where they're very good at raping the planet for all that good oil we so like to burn and I have no problem with that. I'm not about to go buy a Honda NC700 either, in fact a just bought a guzzi so you know I'm not TOO concerned about mileage because guzzi's sure aren't known for being thrifty either.

End of rant, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
I don't know, something is wrong here. At 72mph of average I get 46 mpg.

46mpg

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #5254
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

46mpg

See that's respectable, especially for a bike that goes like the multi does. I'd agree, there'd have to be something wrong for the same bike to be consistently getting 32. Brakes dragging, poor fueling, something.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #5255
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
But..... Your wife's Sonata doesn't do 0-60 in 3 seconds and power wheelie through the first 4 gears. We get super car performance with econobox mileage. Seems like a fair trade to me.
No, but it'll chirp the tires at 50mph. Pretty good for a measly little 2l four cylinder in a largish 4 door sedan. Enough about 4 wheels.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #5256
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
I have been getting crap fuel mileage out of my 2011 Multi always have around 32mpg. i want to do the Trans Labrador highway next summer but at max range of 140 miles per tank i don't think i can do it on this bike.

Anyone got any ideas on what i can do to fix the fuel economy? I don't wanna have to carry an extra 5 gallons of fuel.
Sorry to hear of the poor fuel economy.
On my 12,000 mile trip this summer, I averaged 43mpg for the trip.
I never dipped below 38 for a tank. That is fully loaded and cruising at 70-75 most of the time. I did notice that if I kept a steady 80 or above it would take a dive. Well worth it. You cannot put a price on the grin that was on my face while riding.
My opinion is that an experienced dealer should have no issue tracking this down.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #5257
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
I'll get around 32mpg out of a tank if I ride the hell out of it. 38-40 is more the norm but I have a full termi system installed. I wouldn't be looking to trade it in because of lower than expected mpg though.
I get 32 if i milk it. 28 is my norm. it would be nice to be able to do 200 miles on a single fill up.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #5258
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post
Sorry to hear of the poor fuel economy.
On my 12,000 mile trip this summer, I averaged 43mpg for the trip.
I never dipped below 38 for a tank. That is fully loaded and cruising at 70-75 most of the time. I did notice that if I kept a steady 80 or above it would take a dive. Well worth it. You cannot put a price on the grin that was on my face while riding.
My opinion is that an experienced dealer should have no issue tracking this down.
That is the mileage I expected, or even better if it is billed as a touring bike.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #5259
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
That is the mileage I expected, or even better if it is billed as a touring bike.
To be fair, the 2013 which i ride is suposed to be better on fuel but there should not be that dramatic of a difference.
There were times when I could squeeze 250 miles from a tank if I was frugal with my wrist and thought fuel would be scarce. I always had a gallon or two strapped to the back just in case.
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #5260
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post
To be fair, the 2013 which i ride is suposed to be better on fuel but there should not be that dramatic of a difference.
There were times when I could squeeze 250 miles from a tank if I was frugal with my wrist and thought fuel would be scarce. I always had a gallon or two strapped to the back just in case.
I have a 2010 and it sucks gas. 160 TO 180 a tank never 200. i have never babied it to see what i could get... Its hard not to turn the screw and the trade off is worth it.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:39 PM   #5261
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

46mpg

The computer lies.

I track mileage by the odometer and gas and an iPhone Ap. The computer is /always/ optimistic.

MPG is also massively dependent, for me, on how gung-ho I am with the throttle. Doesn't take much twisting to have it drop, while long drones at 75 or so are fine. Above that it drops again, but I'm a HUGE sail.

(The other reasons cars have advantages. Engines built for efficiency, and aerodynamics)
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:06 PM   #5262
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
My 2 cents on fuel mileage......I consistently get 180 -200 miles per tank no matter how I ride. I am usually in the low 40s per gal having fun and upper 40s if I hit the super slab.
On another note, while my beloved multi was on the lift I noticed how big of a gap has formed between the nose piece and side piece on the right side as well as my fuel cap is flush on one side and sticks up about 1/8" on the opposite side. Looks like I have been hit with a swelled tank from this wonderful fuel we have. I will be visiting my dealer Saturday to tell them to order me a new tank. Ive had my bike just over 19 months and over 24000 miles. I certainly am not letting fuel sit in the tank to long. I guess there is no way to prevent this. Good thing I am planning on buying an extended warranty that will cover me till 2019. Anyone else have the tank swell already?
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #5263
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFarkle View Post
Anyone else have the tank swell already?

Follow the link to my posts.

I have 10K miles in almost exactly 12 months, and had the same symptoms you describe. My tank is on order, and by the way, I've posted pictures on .ms that you might find look familiar.

You'll want to read most of the page if you're the kind of person for whom company comforts misery
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #5264
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post

Follow the link to my posts.

I have 10K miles in almost exactly 12 months, and had the same symptoms you describe. My tank is on order, and by the way, I've posted pictures on .ms that you might find look familiar.

You'll want to read most of the page if you're the kind of person for whom company comforts misery
Wow! Looks exactly like mine, other then its RED and not WHITE. I actually am not to upset. A. its covered B. I understand with the crap fuel here its gonna happen. Over the last 6 years Ive had an Aprilia RSVR a Ducati 1198 and now the MTS 1200 all have tank issues. My bikes don't sit around with a full tank of fuel either. So it must happen rather quickly. Not to mention, all of last year I added fuel treatment to EVERY tank in the MTS. What waste of money
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #5265
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Yep I routinely get mid 40s on road trips. 40 around town riding.

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote