Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #5266
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFarkle View Post
Wow! Looks exactly like mine, other then its RED and not WHITE. I actually am not to upset. A. its covered B. I understand with the crap fuel here its gonna happen. Over the last 6 years Ive had an Aprilia RSVR a Ducati 1198 and now the MTS 1200 all have tank issues. My bikes don't sit around with a full tank of fuel either. So it must happen rather quickly. Not to mention, all of last year I added fuel treatment to EVERY tank in the MTS. What waste of money
Interesting to note that the fuel treatment did nothing to prevent the swelling. What treatment?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #5267
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Interesting to note that the fuel treatment did nothing to prevent the swelling. What treatment?
I have been using Startron treatment. For all the riding I do fuel never spends much time in my tank. Clearly this is something that happens way faster then I thought. I visited my dealer today. They took pictures to get the process started. Funny thing is, I am the second multi this week they have seen with this issue. Better part is, mine is the second ever MTS 1200. So the first 2 in the same week. The other one is a '13 sold in May. Ive had my MTS for 20 months and the other one much less time. Seems as this problem can occur in a short time. Worst part is, Ducati will warranty a tank for 6 years after date of purchase. After that, the new tank is only covered 12 months. So at 20 months old, I should have nearly 4 more years coverage, but not. They word it in a way that I will now only be covered 12 months. WTF!!!!
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #5268
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
I have been using Startron treatment. For all the riding I do fuel never spends much time in my tank. Clearly this is something that happens way faster then I thought. I visited my dealer today. They took pictures to get the process started. Funny thing is, I am the second multi this week they have seen with this issue. Better part is, mine is the second ever MTS 1200. So the first 2 in the same week. The other one is a '13 sold in May. Ive had my MTS for 20 months and the other one much less time. Seems as this problem can occur in a short time. Worst part is, Ducati will warranty a tank for 6 years after date of purchase. After that, the new tank is only covered 12 months. So at 20 months old, I should have nearly 4 more years coverage, but not. They word it in a way that I will now only be covered 12 months. WTF!!!!
Its terrible that Ducati (or acerbis, their supplier) won't fix the actual problem in the multistradas, especially in the 1200, where there is nothing really preventing them from using a different, ethanol-resistant material in the tank. The painted, structural nature of the aircooled multi tank made it much more difficult to change the material. They screwed us 1000/1100 owners after the class-action settlement as well, which is one reason I'm riding a BMW these days.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #5269
Shizoku
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
It boggles my mind that we don't bitch and complain about what crappy mileage our bikes get. 32 freaking mpgs from something that weighs 400+ pounds!!! My wife's Sonata 2.0 turbo gets 34 mpg *easily* if not better, on trips we average 40mpg some days, carrying a loaded trunk and four adults! Neither of us are gentle drivers either. So that's 275HP pushing 4000 pounds.

It just doesn't add up and the bike manufacturers should be cranking out bikes that can easily double the mileage of a car. I'm not some enviro weenie looking to save the planet, I spent my working years in Alberta where they're very good at raping the planet for all that good oil we so like to burn and I have no problem with that. I'm not about to go buy a Honda NC700 either, in fact a just bought a guzzi so you know I'm not TOO concerned about mileage because guzzi's sure aren't known for being thrifty either.

End of rant, now back to your regularly scheduled programming.
80 miles a day round trip commute to and back from work. Freeway miles, 80 to 90 mph, religiously get 43 mpg. Love my Multi GT

Dave in Valencia
Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #5270
PAFarkle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Im sure I read somewhere, but cant remember where, about some kind of coating that can be applied to the inside of the tank. Does anyone know anything about this? Im wondering if it would be worth my investment now to do it, that is of course if it is a reliable solution.
PAFarkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:44 AM   #5271
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Quote:
Im sure I read somewhere, but cant remember where, about some kind of coating that can be applied to the inside of the tank. Does anyone know anything about this? Im wondering if it would be worth my investment now to do it, that is of course if it is a reliable solution.
Caswell Coating.....send your tank to these folks.......trust me in this....

http://www.gastanklining.com/index.html
Old 11-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #5272
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Caswell Coating.....send your tank to these folks.......trust me in this....

http://www.gastanklining.com/index.html
Another solution is to find non-ethanol gas.
Visit the "pure gas" site, and check if there is a non-ethanol gas station close to you or your riding area. There is one 5 miles from my house, and it is on my way out on my routine rides. I've been entering these stations on my GPS each time I go on a ride some place different, and there are enough stations in Oregon that my multistrada has basically only seen non-ethanol gas except when I took it to California last June (no non-ethanol stations in California).

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #5273
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Visit the "pure gas" site, and check if there is a non-ethanol gas station close to you or your riding area. There is one 5 miles from my house, and it is on my way out on my routine rides. I've been entering these stations on my GPS each time I go on a ride some place different, and there are enough stations in Oregon that my multistrada has basically only seen non-ethanol gas except when I took it to California last June (no non-ethanol stations in California).

We're lucky to have such a station in our little town also. That site has been very helpful in finding non-ethanol gas in New Mexico and Colorado in areas where we often ride. I think it's important to let the owners/operators of these stations KNOW how much we appreciate they're carrying this product and to support them in every way practical. It's not an obvious economic choice for them....ethanol gas is cheaper, so they are bucking the trend and hoping there are enough people, like us, to make it worth their while. Now that the politicians want to force E-15 down our necks, we'll have to lobby even harder....Support AMA's efforts here or we'll have to deal with that too.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:44 PM   #5274
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Multi on track

This past weekend I was @ Roebling Road racetrack for the final US Desmo track day & a Ducati dealer was there with a multistrada & a street fighter for us to "play with". It freaked me out= Here I am on first lap on my track bike (R6) running 150ish & I roll up on a FU*^ing multistrada holy shit!!!! It really stands out on track, tall, standard riding position etc....so I talk to dealer & FINALLY FINALLY get to ride the multistrada & on the track!!! (My local dealer did not have one for a demo all summer=no multi without test ride for this guy). It was bone stock 2013 touring S, factory tires but bags removed. so i proceeded to beat the hell out of it & it wanted more. 130-140 on straight stretch & very good on corners. I had no problem keeping up & beating most other riders. Needless to say my 2014 is on order. And I have pics to prove it
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me
aceonthebeach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 PM   #5275
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S touring, 2006 Yamaha R6 Track bike, 1999 Ducati 900 Super Sport, 1992 HD FLHS, 1997 HD Sportster 1200, 2004 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom, 2005 Honda Ruckus(scooter trash) being a inmate has perks=Dealer pricing on alien blood oh I meanAmsoilhttp://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-motorcycle-oilThe link shows retail pricing so you can check vs my dealer price quotes..PM me

aceonthebeach3 screwed with this post 11-03-2013 at 02:55 PM
Old 11-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #5276
aceonthebeach3
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #5277
expatbrit
Still pretty much a n00b.

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
We're lucky to have such a station in our little town also. That site has been very helpful in finding non-ethanol gas in New Mexico and Colorado in areas where we often ride. I think it's important to let the owners/operators of these stations KNOW how much we appreciate they're carrying this product and to support them in every way practical. It's not an obvious economic choice for them....ethanol gas is cheaper, so they are bucking the trend and hoping there are enough people, like us, to make it worth their while. Now that the politicians want to force E-15 down our necks, we'll have to lobby even harder....Support AMA's efforts here or we'll have to deal with that too.
There's 2-3 stations in NM. I found one in Taos by accident; was dead chuffed when I pulled in and saw it was ethanol free.

I think there's one in 'burque, but it's a right bugger to go there to full up.
expatbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #5278
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post

That is a purdy bike!
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #5279
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 431
Something's missin'...can't put my finger on it...
Ducati in The Rockies 2014 RR
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #5280
tomotosoup
looney4bikes

Oddometer: 47
Been There,

Done That.

tomotosoup is offline   Reply With Quote