Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #5416
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I think it's more like how far away from warranty expiration the bike is, that and if it's a 2010 model or not (coolant/heads issue amongst others). The Ohlins DES coupled with the SCU? Hec, I might even pay up for one. . His 2012 is a mighty fine bike.
This is naked speculation (always ugly in my case) but it is possible that in a few years well sorted examples of the late lamented Ohlins bikes will draw a premium. A lot depends on how the various systems shake out over time. For now, the depreciation is a lot like falling from the Nakatomi Plaza building.

">

Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:35 PM   #5417
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,378
eek!
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:15 AM   #5418
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
that's gonna hurt! Why was Bruce trying to steal the guys watch ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
This is naked speculation (always ugly in my case) but it is possible that in a few years well sorted examples of the late lamented Ohlins bikes will draw a premium. A lot depends on how the various systems shake out over time. For now, the depreciation is a lot like falling from the Nakatomi Plaza building.

">

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #5419
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
that's gonna hurt! Why was Bruce trying to steal the guys watch ;)
He's a sucker for fancy dials?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #5420
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Skyhook suspension leak !

It finally happened. I have 13 touring S and just came back from a weekend ride. While cleaning I noticed the right shock ( its the one with the skyhook cable) was wet and confirmed with a rag that it was oil seeping on the tube. I wiped it clean overnight but in the morning it was wet again. Called the dealer and they picked it up and said they would replace the right shock. I only have 2000km's on the bike. Is the skyhook suspension that brittle or is this a recall issue. During the weekend I travelled through quite rough roads managed to avoid the potholes. I have been on worst roads on my diavel. Well let's see how it goes....
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:48 AM   #5421
zvez
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
failed seals can happen. I've got 7300 miles on mine, no leaks. It seems pretty uncommon as haven't seen a lot of threads on fork seal leaks for mts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND GS View Post
It finally happened. I have 13 touring S and just came back from a weekend ride. While cleaning I noticed the right shock ( its the one with the skyhook cable) was wet and confirmed with a rag that it was oil seeping on the tube. I wiped it clean overnight but in the morning it was wet again. Called the dealer and they picked it up and said they would replace the right shock. I only have 2000km's on the bike. Is the skyhook suspension that brittle or is this a recall issue. During the weekend I travelled through quite rough roads managed to avoid the potholes. I have been on worst roads on my diavel. Well let's see how it goes....

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #5422
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
failed seals can happen. I've got 7300 miles on mine, no leaks. It seems pretty uncommon as haven't seen a lot of threads on fork seal leaks for mts.

Not every one but definitely not uncommon.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...k-leaking.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...fork-seal.html

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...t-mts1200.html

oalvarez screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 03:23 PM
Old 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #5423
IND GS
Adventurer

The dealer is replacing the complete shock as visual inspection shows particles of sand and dirt in the shock tube. My last trip was on a very muddy and loose gravel surface. Cleaning the bike was quite a hassle. But aren't these bike made for this kind of terrain ? Anyway it could be a bad seal altogether. Or could over pressure of the tires be the problem ? I had 32 / 35 PSI F/R.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:02 AM   #5424
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Your tire pressure is fine.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #5425
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

I actually run higher pressures, but there's no doubt in my mind I weigh more than most riders. Higher pressures within the bounds of reason may affect ride quality, wear patterns and grip at battle speed, but should have no bearing on blowing out a seal.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 AM   #5426
IND GS
Adventurer

I will be riding again this weekend on various terrain. Let's see how the new shock/seal holds up. I was thinking of adding a shocksox to cover the seal area but I don't think it's necessary. We'll see.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #5427
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
There are a lot of people trying to avoid the wind when the solution may to be to embrace it. I use both my stock GT screen as well as Ducati Performance shorty carbon screen and prefer the shorty as it provides less wind noise. The shorty screen sends a constant flow of air in to your chest (I'm 6'1" same as you) and is a constant direct stream below the helmet. The stock screens (S & GT) send the air up near the helmet creating buffeting and more wind noise. I use the stock GT screen for longer rides (multi day) where I may encounter foul weather as it provides better protection from the elements, but my default is the shorty. Proper ear protection is a given of course for any riding regardless of screen choice.

Too many people are trying to create a wind free bubble and send all of the air around/over them and that is futile. The only way to achieve that is a car.

My 2 cents...
+1 This bike is never going to be really good at wind/weather protection. I'm thinking the shorty screen might be better even on longer trips, unless its cold.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:05 PM   #5428
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
+1 This bike is never going to be really good at wind/weather protection. I'm thinking the shorty screen might be better even on longer trips, unless its cold.
My 2013 pikes peak came with two screens: the regular one and the carbon fiber shorty. The shorty is what I use all the time. Looks better and lets freer wind flow, equates to less turbulence. The bike's tall instrument cluster and the fairing around it offer reasonable protection already.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #5429
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 124
Watch for Falling Prices

I agree about he depreciation! I have no idea why I still look at Multis for sale on CL and eBay when I already own one, but I do. The bike is depreciating faster than I am paying it off!

Funny, I quit thinking about that every time I twist the throttle.

I'm taking it in for the 7500 mile service this spring, and there's a small crack around one screw holding the plastic to the tank, and another screw won't come off because the insert just spins in the tank. I'm hoping this doesn't mean my tank is expanding and I need a new tank. I like this bike, but I've had voodoo bikes and warranty problems on motorcycles in the past, and nothing will sour you on a bike faster than wondering if you can trust it or the company. So, my fingers are crossed.

I'll be taking it to Hall's in Springfield. Has anyone had any tank/warranty issues and brought their bike to them?
1998 DR350SE - charbroiled
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 AM   #5430
tonymorr
Malta,NY(Saratoga Spring)

Oddometer: 2,452
Is it just me or does winter seem longer when you have a Multi sitting in the garage?

tonymorr is offline   Reply With Quote