ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 AM   #5506
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege View Post
Guys, is there anyone who made the swap from an F800GS or any other kind of adv touring bike to 1200 Multistrada?
Yes, and more than once. There really is no other upright/tall bike that handles like the Ducati does. I can't speak to the 1190 which is garnering very positive reviews in both the handling and motor departments, but it's my opinion that the Multistrada is the leader of on-road, comfy-utilitarian riding. I like so much of what it's about, but have my negative opinions about it too. I like it so much that it's a bike I keep going back to. Far from boring, in all facets including the ownership experience. Take that for what you will.
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #5507
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah
 
biggziff's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Oddometer: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege View Post
Guys, is there anyone who made the swap from an F800GS or any other kind of adv touring bike to 1200 Multistrada?

I'm thinking about getting me a 1200 Multistrada for quite some time now but I'm somewhat worried about the bike's reliability. I'm used to japp bikes, getting you anywhere anytime. I'm not doing offroad or anything, maybe some backroads now and then but 95% paved.

Care to comment on this? Is the Multistrada 1200 sturdier?
I've had a couple BMW R1200GS and I wouldn't go back. The BMW is a fine machine, in fact, fit and finish is superior to the Duc, but the Multi is just a freaking blast to ride and so far every bit as reliable as the GS. The GS, for me, became like a station wagon. Reliable, boring, grocery getter. The Multi is like a sport bike that can also get groceries, but you'll smile all the way there and back.

Either bike is a fine choice, but they're very different.
__________________
"Fools you are. To say you learn by your experience. I prefer to profit by others' mistakes and avoid the price of my own."

- Otto von Bismarck


<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #5508
push_bars
Gnarly Adventurer
 
push_bars's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Montana
Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by stege View Post
Guys, is there anyone who made the swap from an F800GS or any other kind of adv touring bike to 1200 Multistrada?
26k on an F800GS. I took it all the way at the arctic and back and while it was good for that I never really loved it... The Multi is just an all around better package in pretty much every way. The 6k maintenance intervals on the F800 became a pain, overall the 2009 F800 needed way more maintence by the book (and by the TSB) than my 2012 PP has.

I thought about selling my Multi over the long winter but with the first fire up and ride this spring I remember why I love it and can't find anything I would rather ride right now.

I agree with the dirt (road) advise, don't drop it but don't baby it either. Loads of fun throttle steering around forest service roads.
push_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #5509
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by push_bars View Post
26k on an F800GS. I took it all the way at the arctic and back and while it was good for that I never really loved it... The Multi is just an all around better package in pretty much every way. The 6k maintenance intervals on the F800 became a pain, overall the 2009 F800 needed way more maintence by the book (and by the TSB) than my 2012 PP has.

I thought about selling my Multi over the long winter but with the first fire up and ride this spring I remember why I love it and can't find anything I would rather ride right now.

I agree with the dirt (road) advise, don't drop it but don't baby it either. Loads of fun throttle steering around forest service roads.
Same story with me. I have a 2013 Pikes Peak. I get bored with bikes very quickly. It hasn't happened with the Multi yet. I also have a Tiger 800 XC that I only ride when my rider friends are going to take their more dirt oriented bikes on dirt and gravel roads. Other than that, I only want to ride the Multistrada. It just started warming up and getting dryer here, I already did 500 miles on the Multi in two outings, some 30 miles on the Tiger. Tomorrow, it will be the Multi I will take on a 200+ miles ride.
__________________
Whenever we are riding, we are an ambassador to our sport

I'd rather be riding!


Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #5510
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer
 
M0t0Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Lavergne, Tennessee
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Yes, and more than once. There really is no other upright/tall bike that handles like the Ducati does. I can't speak to the 1190 which is garnering very positive reviews in both the handling and motor departments, but it's my opinion that the Multistrada is the leader of on-road, comfy-utilitarian riding. I like so much of what it's about, but have my negative opinions about it too. I like it so much that it's a bike I keep going back to. Far from boring, in all facets including the ownership experience. Take that for what you will.

I test rode a 2014 1190 ADV 2 weeks ago, felt alot like my 05 Vstrom 1000. Suspension a little stiffer, Multistrada handles better on road, you set more forward, windscreen was not that good. engine was not exciting, felt slow compared to my Multistrada, your butt received alot of engine heat, very comfortable/plush. Nice bike overall but missing quite a few things compared to the Multistrada. You have to add heated grips and hard bags to get the same level with the Multistrada but without "on the fly" adjustable windscreen. The add ons get you in the Multistrada price range. Give one a try i'd be interested in your feedback.
__________________
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring - Silver
1973 Honda CB750 K4
2009 Kymco Super8 Scooter
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:10 PM   #5511
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: SF Bay area, CA
Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
I like it so much that it's a bike I keep going back to.
We cross paths here and on Ducati.ms and have similar taste/impressions of bikes.

You just sold your nearly-new GSW....going back to a Multi?

I just bought a '14 GSW as a potential replacement for my '10 Multi S. The GS will definitely suit my "overnight" and "camping" rides better with cruise control and bigger luggage.

On my Multi I followed by GS-mounted buddies on 60 miles of dirt on our last ride, 20 of which was into/out of a steep canyon with bowling-ball size rocks that was the most challenging road I've ever ridden on a street bike. Had a blast, but would have been less worried and had an easier time on a GS with spoked wheels and a 19" front.

The new GSW is definitely improved over the last model, it's quite sporty. But the Multi is still a bit more fun and edgy on pavement. Stronger motor, better suspension (Ohlins), feels 4/5 the size and can really be railed into a turn with sticky 17" rubber. Not sure I'll be able to bring myself to sell it.
__________________
'14 R1200GS LC
'10 Multistrada S
'08 Brutale 910S
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #5512
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer View Post
We cross paths here and on Ducati.ms and have similar taste/impressions of bikes.

You just sold your nearly-new GSW....going back to a Multi?

The new GSW is definitely improved over the last model, it's quite sporty. But the Multi is still a bit more fun and edgy on pavement. Stronger motor, better suspension (Ohlins), feels 4/5 the size and can really be railed into a turn with sticky 17" rubber. Not sure I'll be able to bring myself to sell it.
Yes.

And again we agree, your comments are spot on, and that really is the reason why I'm going back to a Multi. So much else about the marque I don't like, but the Ducati riding experience (including the ownership experience) is like no other. I liked the GSW a lot, it's a fantastic motorcycle, but it just didn't do it for me. I do wish that Ducati would get it together on other fronts.
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #5513
zvez
Adventurer
 
zvez's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Oddometer: 88
the ducati riding and ownership experience, what else is there? All the other stuff is just so much noise and clutter.

Of the 20 or so bikes I've owned (including around 8 or so ducs). Hands down this multi is the best bike I've had. It all around does everything I need it to do. May even do a track day or two on it. Off road? No interest or desire to do that so not an issue. Got to say, 13 mts is a superb scoot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Yes.

And again we agree, your comments are spot on, and that really is the reason why I'm going back to a Multi. So much else about the marque I don't like, but the Ducati riding experience (including the ownership experience) is like no other. I liked the GSW a lot, it's a fantastic motorcycle, but it just didn't do it for me. I do wish that Ducati would get it together on other fronts.
__________________
Chris

13 Dookahti mts GT
zvez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:30 PM   #5514
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: SLC, Utah
Oddometer: 190
Interesting partnership between Ducati and Dainese.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03...social_twitter
CharlieFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #5515
BubbaMc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Oddometer: 45
Welcome back oalvarez
__________________
2013 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak
BubbaMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #5516
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin
 
oalvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: CA HWY 2
Oddometer: 2,381
^ nice of you....thanks!
__________________
2014 KTM 1290 Super Duke R
2012 Vespa 300 Super
past: Ducatis, Aprilias, Moto Guzzis, a Husky, and some BMWs as well.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:52 AM   #5517
Badjuju
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Badjuju's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: ...your girlfriend's bedroom
Oddometer: 258
Excuse this question…if it has already been posted and discussed ad nauseum/ad infinitum, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa, but I couldn't bring myself to wade thru 368 pages of reading. So….

Has there been any conclusion or finality to the 'swelling tank' issue on the MS and other plastic-tank Ducs and bikes? Was there a factory fix that completely eliminates the problem after such-n-such a year of manufacture? Is there a way to minimize the risk of tank problems with additives (since EtOH-free isn't an option in my neck of the woods)? Are older models more likely to have swelling issues than newer models?

Reason for the question is that I've been sporting wood since a riding friend bought his MS a couple of years ago and would like to think I might own one someday, but not if I'm gonna spend a metric ton of cubic cash on a bike with a serious QC issue on an important part like the gas tank. Inquiring minds want to know.
__________________
Some people will tell you that slow is good, and it may be on some days, but I am here to tell you that fast is better... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:06 PM   #5518
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer
 
Existence_Inc's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Southern CO/Northern NM
Oddometer: 159
I don't own a MS, but I do own a SF848 (plasti tank) and I have been using Sta-bil Marine in it every time it will sit more than 24 hours. No signs of swelling in 22 months. Cheap enough, and can be found at Walmart. Otherwise, I think Ducati's solution is to move back to metal tanks (seen in the Monster 1200.)

~Ex
__________________
2010 Triumph Bonneville SE - RIP (7/9/11)
2011 Triumph Daytona 675R (Sold)
2012 Ducati StreetFighter 848
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:58 PM   #5519
bross
Where we riding to?
 
bross's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Osoyoos, BC
Oddometer: 4,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Existence_Inc View Post
I don't own a MS, but I do own a SF848 (plasti tank) and I have been using Sta-bil Marine in it every time it will sit more than 24 hours. No signs of swelling in 22 months. Cheap enough, and can be found at Walmart. Otherwise, I think Ducati's solution is to move back to metal tanks (seen in the Monster 1200.)

~Ex
That's great when you're at home, but kinda sucks when you're on a trip. Not that you'd probably tour on your Street Fighter, but my wife's Street Triple is her touring bike, so maybe.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #5520
duckman44
Gnarly Adventurer
 
duckman44's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Western NY
Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
That's great when you're at home, but kinda sucks when you're on a trip. Not that you'd probably tour on your Street Fighter, but my wife's Street Triple is her touring bike, so maybe.
I'm sure that everybody will have a different story but the tank on my 2008 1098 shows no sign of swelling nor does my 2013 Multi GT that I purchased in May 2013.
I use only what fuel I can find and ran some real crap in Canada and Alaska last year.
No signs of any movement. 15,000 miles on the Multi and many tanks of fuel.
__________________
"Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if you're Stupid" - John Wayne (and my Dad)
2013 Ducati Multistrada GT - 2008 Ducati 1098
2005 KTM 625 SMC - 1976 Moto Guzzi Convert (Auto) - 1964 Ducati 90 Mountaineer
1977 Yamaha XS 400 Cafe Racer - 1976 Honda CB 750 Cafe Racer
1968 Triumph 650 Old School Chopper - 1982 Yamaha 750 Virago
duckman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014