Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #5641
SMIFFXC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
so today i ran into one of these things at a light and nothing but road ahead. i had passed it a moment earlier while splitting and now here it was right beside me

the light turned green and it wasn't beside me for long as i watched its tail light get out front and the bikes front wheel come up a bit. what a rocket. sure my bike kept pace (little rocket lol), and the Ninja 250 lined up with us wasn't even seen again. but this bike sounded so good and its speed seemed so smooth as it pulled away. it was like papa bear, mama bear, and baby bear going down the road together and this bike did seem to say "who's your daddy!!"

i might need me a daddy bike...one day

EDIT: i should report that i had no idea it was going to jump out like that, however. had i known it wanted to race i would have obliged and lost by less lol
Take one out for a test ride, bring your checkbook.
SMIFFXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 PM   #5642
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by aangen View Post
I know what it is and does. Under the shrink wrap you'll find two stripped sections of wire. Carefully cut and pull off the shrink wrap and expose the stripped wires. Use a multi-tester to figure out which of the two wires is hot. (separate them carefully, turn on the bike, and test for voltage) When you know which one is hot you will know what to hook up to what on your GPS power cable. It makes a difference I'm told. (I hooked up hot to the red wire, i know, doh!) I unplugged the little thing as you only need to unscrew two fasteners and move aside the little cover protecting it. It's easy enough to unplug and that makes it much easier to deal with removing the shrink wrap. My GPS works well with this plug setup, hope you get there as well.

Ooops, one last thing, if you were flush with cash and decided to buy the Ducati GPS, you would unplug this little bit of wire and toss it as the Ducati GPS replaces this cable with a new plug and harness that supplies power to the GPS. As I did not buy the Ducati GPS I modified this as described above. I hope this makes sense.
is the GPS wire on the 2011 ?? or only 2013
Old 05-08-2014, 06:31 PM   #5643
TBR
Daily ADV Red China

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
is the GPS wire on the 2011 ?? or only 2013
My 2012 MTS-PP (bought and rego'ed on 11/11/2011) has the GPS wiring, easy as installation....
TBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #5644
sailer
trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas6670 View Post
I have used another combination of RAM mounts on the already existing screw of the windscreen. It is quite easy and at a fraction of the cost of Navihalter. Have a look at the pic and let me know if you need more details

how long have you had that mounted like that, I is a great idea I just wonder if it adds an stress to windscreen
Old 05-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #5645
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,344
^ and is it "shaky" or cause added vibration to both screen and GPS?
Old 05-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #5646
Andreas6670
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailer View Post
how long have you had that mounted like that, I is a great idea I just wonder if it adds an stress to windscreen
I have it on for a month now and it doesn't seem to add stress, all the vibration is absorbed by the rubber insert of the screw.
KTM 1190 Adventure 2013, Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2010, Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 2008, Ducati Multistrada 1100S DS 2005, Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 2001, Honda VTR SP-1 (RC-51) 2000, Kawasaki ZZR 1100 Ninja
Andreas6670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #5647
Andreas6670
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
^ and is it "shaky" or cause added vibration to both screen and GPS?
The vibration is absorbed by the rubber washers. I can read the GPS perfectly
It is only a bit shaky over bumps, so I wouldn't use it off-road.
If I see any "funny" behavior of the construction, I will post it, as it is still under testing.

In any case, it costed me less than 30$ and 2 out of the 3 RAM parts can be used to mount anything anywhere else on the bike, so it won't be a waste if it doesn't work after all...
KTM 1190 Adventure 2013, Ducati Multistrada 1200S Sport 2010, Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 2008, Ducati Multistrada 1100S DS 2005, Suzuki Hayabusa 1300 2001, Honda VTR SP-1 (RC-51) 2000, Kawasaki ZZR 1100 Ninja
Andreas6670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #5648
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 171
The dilemma- I have an early '10 and love the bike but its nearing the end of the extended warranty. It has never given me any reason to doubt it will truck on and on (only 15k now so pretty low miles and newish) but I see myself having much more time to ride going forward. Has anyone started having trouble outside of factory defects? anyone put major mileage on one? The most I've seen anyone admit to on a forum is 40k or so.

I worry about one day needing a rebuild that costs more than the bike is worth. On the other hand the bike is long since paid for and has been worry free with all the factory fixes and upgrades. Anyone put a lot of miles on a water cooled Duc? Anybody rebuilt one and if so was it 1,000,000 dollars as I suspect it would be?

Or should I shut up and ride the damn thing?
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM   #5649
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
If you've stayed up on your maintenance and taken care of any niggles along the way, I see no reason not to keep it for the duration if that's what you'd like to do. Most of the concerns of keeping a bike long term are the same for all models. Modern bikes with complex systems all present more or less the same issues in respect to long term use. It's almost always more cost effective to keep any vehicle for the longer haul. I doubt that will be terribly different for the Multistrada. Most people trade out every few years out of boredom, not necessity. There are scads of older Ducatis running around. Expect higher maintenance and repair costs but overall lower cost of ownership for any motorcycle out of warranty.

If you want something you can fix with a hammer, pliers and a screwdriver get an airhead or an oilhead, but expect to stay busy. A modern bike with 15000 miles on the clock is just breaking in. If you love it, keep it. If you don't, move on. I expect it might be possible to buy another warranty extension, by the way. If that makes ownership more palatable, you might want to shop around for that.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 03:52 AM   #5650
jtnx650
Reinforced Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
It does get off the blacktop some times.......

A picture of my Multi on a short excursion off the blacktop to bump this thread along.......

2010 XT660Z
2012 Multistrada S T
jtnx650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #5651
agir
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBR View Post
My 2012 MTS-PP (bought and rego'ed on 11/11/2011) has the GPS wiring, easy as installation....
Where is the GPS wiring?

I have my BMW Navigator IV that I'd like to install and that has plugs.
agir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #5652
agir
Adventurer

Rotopax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
2 gallon rotopax on top of an altrider tail rack
Can I mount the rotopax 2 gallon tank elsewhere on the MTS besides the tail? I have a Givi topcase that will go there. Since my bike gets a lot less mileage than others it's easier to just stop and add fuel than search for a gas station.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #5653
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by agir View Post
Where is the GPS wiring?

I have my BMW Navigator IV that I'd like to install and that has plugs.
The wiring is located behind the small black panel behind the left side lower fairing.
You will find a 2 wire plug that connects to a sealed pigtail that is just a "dead end" for those 2 wires. I pulled the plug, snipped off the pig tail, stripped the wires and plugged it in to check for which wire was the hot with ignition on.
I then wired it up to a weatherproof SAE 2 wire harness.

Works great, I don't have to remember to unplug my GPS when I leave the bike and it took me all of about 15 minutes to do from start to finish.

On a side note, added the DP crash bars and ordered the SW Motech aux light mounts. I then got a fantastic deal on a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED lights and picked up a weatherproof handlebar switch to wire it all up. Looking forward to getting it all mounted up so I can add even more weight to this pig.
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #5654
agir
Adventurer

Pannier latch hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croak View Post
Panniers come off easy enough, and the mounting points are pretty tightly integrated into the bodywork, unlike the scaffolding that is typical of most ADV bikes.

In the pic below, notice the pannier locking latch just behind the pillion footpeg hanger, and the two notches in the black plastic of the tail section, that's pretty much it.

Quick questions: do you know the part name (or number) for the area you attach the pannier to? Mine came broken. Told the dealer it was loose and now I know why: the latch holes (for lack of better term as to where you attach the panniers to) are broken. So, if the dealer doesn't fix it, I need to buy a new part before we venture on a long trip next week.

Thanks.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #5655
agir
Adventurer

Side decal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnx650 View Post
A picture of my Multi on a short excursion off the blacktop to bump this thread along.......

Do you know where to get that sticker/film that's on the side panel to protect it from your pants rubbing on it? My bike came with the left side only. :-)