Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #5896
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
This is your first bike? Wow, I hope you don't intend to use the Sport mode at least for the first year

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKurt View Post
Taking delivery of my Multistrada this weekend. Thanks for all the help...especially Pampero.

Ended up going with a red GT, and got an arai defiant and termi slip on thrown in.

For gear, went with a Aether Canyon jacket, Aether Compass pant, and Dainese 4 stroke evo gloves. Probably add a set of Gaerne balance oiled boots to the mix.

First on the farkle list is a garmin 590 gps on a navihalter over cluster mount.

All in all, im pretty jazzed. Not a bad first bike.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #5897
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
lol. It wont be my first stop, that's for sure.
KiwiKurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #5898
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Congratulations, Kurt! You'll love it. Being a tall bloke is an advantage and will make life a bit easier at slow/traffic speeds. I'm also surprised it's your first bike! No dawdling for you! You went straight to an expert's ride!

What a thrill! Take your time; I'm still impressed every time I ride mine, and do not feel I have the full measure of it. Excellent choice in color as well!
Old 08-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #5899
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatbrit View Post
Pampero -- that was definitely my feeling about the PR2s

I've GTs on now, but between the tank replacement, the coolant issue, a new Great Dane puppy and my laziness -- they have few miles on 'em. A sad day.
I think you'll find them neutral feeling and equal to the usual run of sporting work over the road you might put them to. I am not looking to ball up the rubber on the edges of the tire in a test of ultimate adhesion with my knee down on public roads so for me they work as a good compromise. Any slipping I may have felt may well be due to road debris or variations in traction, not from a deficiency of the tires. I think they're sensitive to air pressures as well, as most tires seem to be.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #5900
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
Congratulations, Kurt! You'll love it. Being a tall bloke is an advantage and will make life a bit easier at slow/traffic speeds. I'm also surprised it's your first bike! No dawdling for you! You went straight to an expert's ride!

What a thrill! Take your time; I'm still impressed every time I ride mine, and do not feel I have the full measure of it. Excellent choice in color as well!
Thanks for all your help. Im planning at some point on running up the coast, hopefully we can meet.

As far as the bike, I didn't see the point in buying something I didn't really want. Just seemed to make more sense to be....sensible....

KiwiKurt screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 12:39 PM
Old 08-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #5901
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Taking delivery of my Multistrada this weekend. Thanks for all the help...especially Pampero.

Ended up going with a red GT, and got an arai defiant and termi slip on thrown in.

For gear, went with a Aether Canyon jacket, Aether Compass pant, and Dainese 4 stroke evo gloves. Probably add a set of Gaerne balance oiled boots to the mix.

First on the farkle list is a garmin 590 gps on a navihalter over cluster mount.

All in all, im pretty jazzed. Not a bad first bike.

A multi as your first bike?! Go big or go home I guess. Congratulations. At least you won't get bored with your starter bike!

Enjoy.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #5902
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

Thanks, I will!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #5903
multistraddler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I know that's what they say but it's hard to believe that there is only a 9 pound difference. I'd say impossible, but this is America and people believe the strangest things here. When I bought my 2012, Duc spec'd the thing as 426 dry. That's also hard to believe, but it's easier to buy than a 9 pound difference between the GS and the Multi. The MTs may weigh in at 516 fueled and loaded, but there's no way the GS weighs only 525.
The fellow I bought my MTS from actually took it to a weigh scale after having the Termi full exhaust installed. These were his results:

21Mar12. Stopped at scale at the dump and man said the bike weighed 480lbs, fuel.
23May12. 3186 miles. Weighed bike on scale: 255f, 234r, 489lbs, full gas.

He even weighed the exhausts. (Very meticulous guy...)
Weighed exhaust systems; OEM was 22lbs, Termi 15lbs for savings of 7 lbs.
multistraddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #5904
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by multistraddler View Post
The fellow I bought my MTS from actually took it to a weigh scale after having the Termi full exhaust installed. These were his results:

21Mar12. Stopped at scale at the dump and man said the bike weighed 480lbs, fuel.
23May12. 3186 miles. Weighed bike on scale: 255f, 234r, 489lbs, full gas.

He even weighed the exhausts. (Very meticulous guy...)
Weighed exhaust systems; OEM was 22lbs, Termi 15lbs for savings of 7 lbs.
Good info.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #5905
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

im reading about wind complaints even on the GT model with the larger windscreen.

Whats the solution? Fabricate some spacers? Cut a hole into the screen like the cal sci has? Im going to ride it for a bit and see how it is and go from there, but the complaints seem to be pretty universal.

KiwiKurt screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 07:16 PM
Old 08-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #5906
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
im reading about wind complaints even on the GT model with the larger windscreen.

Whats the solution? Fabricate some spacers? Cut a hole into the screen like the cal sci has? Im going to ride it for a bit and see how it is and go from there, but the complaints seem to be pretty universal.
There are a lot of solutions. I spaced the bottom of my screen out 3/8 inch. That got rid of the buffeting and I've been happy ever sense. Your results may vary.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #5907
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for all your help. Im planning at some point on running up the coast, hopefully we can meet.

As far as the bike, I didn't see the point in buying something I didn't really want. Just seemed to make more sense to be....sensible....
I'd look forward to meeting you, Kurt!

Getting what you really want is the whole point of life. Figuring out what that might be is the tricky part. My darling wife is fond of saying: "Be careful what you wish for!" In this case, we all think you did great! I'd have gone for the red one as well, by the way.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #5908
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
There are a lot of solutions. I spaced the bottom of my screen out 3/8 inch. That got rid of the buffeting and I've been happy ever sense. Your results may vary.
What did you use for a spacer? did you need a longer bolt?

KiwiKurt screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 08:12 PM
Old 08-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #5909
desmodab
Oversized Canuck

Oddometer: 253
On my multi I installed a set of Aztec spacers. I bought them from Dave in the UK - GREAT guy.

I also installed a Wunderlich wind deflector on the top edge of the windscreen, but I am 6'-7" and found no matter what I did without it the blast hit me in the face. The Wunderlich kicks it up and over my helmet. I don't know anyone else who's used one on a multi.

Enjoy the bike - you,ll love it and if you get up the coast to see pampers you'll have to come up to Victoria - I'll show you around.

DD
desmodab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #5910
KiwiKurt
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmodab View Post
On my multi I installed a set of Aztec spacers. I bought them from Dave in the UK - GREAT guy.

I also installed a Wunderlich wind deflector on the top edge of the windscreen, but I am 6'-7" and found no matter what I did without it the blast hit me in the face. The Wunderlich kicks it up and over my helmet. I don't know anyone else who's used one on a multi.

Enjoy the bike - you,ll love it and if you get up the coast to see pampers you'll have to come up to Victoria - I'll show you around.

DD
Deal.

It seems the aztecs dont exist any more or at least for the 2013+.....