Old 11-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #662
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
Annnnd.....Here we go.........
Nah, not worth it.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #663
Worone
Rock Slinger

Oddometer: 300
First bike in a long time to get me excited, a touch more off road worthy and I may have to make room in my garage for a black one.....

2007 KTM 950R SE
Chicks Dig Scars
Worone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #664
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,177
Never owned a Ducati, 2010 may just be the year, but can not part with my Tiger, may have to sell my truck, ha.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #665
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,237
I'm poor, so I went my own way with a bike that'll do various stuff. I t doesn't have half the power of the new Duck or much ground clearance and it's a heavy lump. But here's what I came up with for about $1000.00 and some shop time. Oh, and a serious raid on my parts stash.

If some one buys one of these uber machines will they take it down forest roads just to see what's there? If not then ,what's the point?

Not to condone bike abuse but, I didn't cry when this happened. No harm, no foul.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #666
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
I'm poor, so I went my own way with a bike that'll do various stuff. It doesn't have half the power of the new Duck or much ground clearance and it's a heavy lump. But here's what I came up with for about $1000.00 and some shop time. Oh, and a serious raid on my parts stash.
If some one buys one of these uber machines will they take it down forest roads just to see what's there? If not then ,what's the point?

Not to condone bike abuse but, I didn't cry when this happened. No harm, no foul.
You're probably not going to have many 1200 Multistrada riding partners on your offroad adventures, but congratulations on sensibly modding the only good year (model) of Yamaha's Virago series. Now let's open up the thread for the multitudes of Vstrom and KLR owners...

996DL

996DL screwed with this post 11-13-2009 at 10:10 AM
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #667
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,370
Someone finally created a nice bike that is Uglier than the V-strom
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #668
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Somebody else may have already observed his, but if they did I missed it.

Looking at the um, side pods, it occurs to me that Buell was ahead of game one last time.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:00 PM   #669
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker
Looking at the um, side pods, it occurs to me that Buell was ahead of game one last time.
Only if doing to excess was making them ahead of the game.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #670
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
The more I look at the bike and the spec, the more I think Ducati will sell lots of these, especially to the kind of buyers that have 1200GS money and lifestyles.

Faster than, um, any ADV bike out there. Lighter than, um, any ADV bike out there. More exclusive than, um, any ADV bike out there..

Poor off-road capability? 90% of big trailbike owners never take them off-road anyway.

But this could become the weapon-of-choice for varied Euro tours, the odd jaunt into North Africa, and the weekend bug-splatter run.

Ducati are being pretty smart - Europeans need multi-function bikes because we just can't afford extensive 'stables', and in the USA the most common second-bike for a Harley owner is a Ducati.

Win-win for Bologna
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #671
Moto Mark
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I really don't think the Ducati will woo away those GS owners who venture into the off road areas.

But having said that, as an owner of an 1150 GS and a former owner of the previous Multi (04 1000) it is sooo much better as a road bike, and putting the 1198-based engine coupled with the radial brakes and Ohlins suspension should make it tear up the roads.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #672
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,619

People buy based on specs (and looks), but people keep their bikes based on how they ride.

I hope Ducati designed this bike for long term riding pleasure.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:42 PM   #673
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk brkr baker
I'm poor, so I went my own way with a bike that'll do various stuff. I t doesn't have half the power of the new Duck or much ground clearance and it's a heavy lump. But here's what I came up with for about $1000.00 and some shop time. Oh, and a serious raid on my parts stash.

Dude, I think your bike rocks!!
Pcfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #674
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
The more I look at the bike and the spec, the more I think Ducati will sell lots of these...
Super intelligent design, with a myriad of high tech options/features that today's marketplace demands. Back it up with strong customer support for it's teething pains (absolutely essential) and it has the potential of being the biggest home run Ducati has ever had.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #675
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Mark
I really don't think the Ducati will woo away those GS owners who venture into the off road areas.

But having said that, as an owner of an 1150 GS and a former owner of the previous Multi (04 1000) it is sooo much better as a road bike, and putting the 1198-based engine coupled with the radial brakes and Ohlins suspension should make it tear up the roads.
I agree. I don't think we are going to see too many of these new Multistrada's parked up in Deadhorse. I see the bike as a great sport touring bike with GS-type ergos and practicality. Of course, we haven't actually heard from anyone that has ridden it, but it looks like Ducati has given us a great (albeit expensive) all-rounder with the latest in performance technology.

I know that if I could buy an $18k bike right now (I can't), the Multistrada 1200 checks all the right boxes for me. Kudos to Ducati for setting the bar high for a general-purpose motorcycle (on paper, anyway).
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote