Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #826
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00

I don't know if it can go head to head with a farkled-out GS in the back country - probably not - but for everything else, which is what most owners will generally end up doing with either bike, I'd say that they're at least equal and in most cases better.
The MS is not going to compete off pavement ith a GS. But sadly the part you say about what owners end up using a GS for is pretty close to the truth. A great deal of GS riders I have met over the years are never going to ride off pavement because they bought them as touring bikes.

So I guess the truth is the MS is a better bike for most GS owners, because it will out perform the GS1200 on pavement.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #827
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West
The MS is not going to compete off pavement ith a GS. But sadly the part you say about what owners end up using a GS for is pretty close to the truth. A great deal of GS riders I have met over the years are never going to ride off pavement because they bought them as touring bikes.

So I guess the truth is the MS is a better bike for most GS owners, because it will out perform the GS1200 on pavement.
And I think Ducati was brilliant at recognizing this and designing a motorcycle that's aimed for that segment. The bike isn't compromised with off-road design considerations...except for the Enduro switch.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #828
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
What are the servicing costs?

There's no empirical evidence of what they will be. The reports are that the valve check intervals will be greater than 7500 miles, but no hard numbers are available.

For that matter, no true fuel range is available as we don't know how thirsty the engine will be.

Chain drive is a surety.

So, two of your three reasons for not considering the bike are speculative.

Personally, I'm going to wait until I have facts.
The fuel mileage is addressed in some of the Ducati descriptive pages and states that you'll be able to enjoy riding up to 300 Km's between fill-ups. So 186 miles on 5.28 gallons = 35.22 MPG, if they're counting the reserve. Also, generally manufacturers state somewhat better MPG than most people actually get.

I would think that the servicing costs would be about the same as any other of the 4 valve Ducs, which ain't cheap. Although I've also seen speculation that they might have extended service intervals. All of the dealers that I've asked said that they thought the intervals would be the same as the other bikes during the warranty period, but who knows?

Also, does any other vehicle manufacturer require inspections based on monthly intervals regardless of mileage? Maybe some do, but I can't think of any.

I totally agree that the chain FD is preferable to the geared unit as far as ease of repairs and simplicity goes.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #829
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,513
I would not be surprised that an aftermarket large fuel tank (with pod filters, thats where the space comes from) appears, just like the Hypermotard which has an aftermarket tank of 6.9 gallons instead of the standard 3.3 gallon standard one.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #830
TwoTone
My 2 passions

Oddometer: 280
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
The fuel mileage is addressed in some of the Ducati descriptive pages and states that you'll be able to enjoy riding up to 300 Km's between fill-ups. So 186 miles on 5.28 gallons = 35.22 MPG, if they're counting the reserve. Also, generally manufacturers state somewhat better MPG than most people actually get.
Based on my observation of a 1198, sipping 12.5L/240KLm trip,(ridden @ 100-140KLms/H) I'd say this baby is good for 400Klms+ per 20L fill up, given the so called advantage of 15% efficeincy of the 11 Deg' cams, so I would personally not worry about a longer rage tank, never needed it on my ST4S that I stretched to as far as 360 Klms on a fill up

TT
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #831
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
Off road

I think it might be fairly capable off road. I don't know how to post pics but look at the pics on this website( http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumo...a-dirt-photos/ ). I have not seen anyone jump their gs like that. I bet if you switched to a 150 in the rear and a 110 up front it would be pretty nice off road at least I would try it. Of course I would try it even with the 190 and see how far i got before it didn't like what I dished out.
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #832
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,102
Son of a bitch!!! Aarrgghh. I don't need to be buying another motorcycle but this thing is screaming at me.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:58 PM   #833
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
I read the Ducati press guff as claiming 'at least' 300km from a tank. There is a report here from someone at the launch quoting a fuel range of 400km at 120km/h (about 75mph). And TT's experience (above) and mine (S4Rs) suggest it will do better than that. I'm expecting a range of 450km in steady highway running - assuming the tank really does hold the 20L Ducati claims.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #834
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
I think it might be fairly capable off road. I don't know how to post pics but look at the pics on this website( http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rumo...a-dirt-photos/ ). I have not seen anyone jump their gs like that. I bet if you switched to a 150 in the rear and a 110 up front it would be pretty nice off road at least I would try it. Of course I would try it even with the 190 and see how far i got before it didn't like what I dished out.
Look around a bit more and you will find at least a few GS riders riding much more aggressively offroad than your linked photos. I've seen Harleys jumped bigger than that. Ride aggressively in the dirt and you will crash the bike. I seriously like the new Multi, but looking at it in person, it looks to me like a simple drop would likely add up to over $1000.

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #835
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic
I read the Ducati press guff as claiming 'at least' 300km from a tank. There is a report here from someone at the launch quoting a fuel range of 400km at 120km/h (about 75mph). And TT's experience (above) and mine (S4Rs) suggest it will do better than that. I'm expecting a range of 450km in steady highway running - assuming the tank really does hold the 20L Ducati claims.
We've got 450, do I hear 500? 450 going once, twice...

Seriously though, It really would be unusual for any vehicle company to grossly UNDER-state the MPG figures on their vehicles. I guess time will tell.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #836
airjammer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
2010 MultiStrada 1200

Anyone else been following the 2010 Ducati MTS? Not available yet, but pretty cool.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #837
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by airjammer
Anyone else been following the 2010 Ducati MTS? Not available yet, but pretty cool.
We have never heard of it here. Glad you started a thread about it though.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:53 AM   #838
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
Baahaaaaaaa!
Old 12-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #839
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,060
We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383232 56 pages

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523553 11 pages
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:49 AM   #840
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungStunt
This:

Is not that big!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote