Old 12-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #856
krampus
get lost

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic
krampus,

first, thanks for the pix.

Second, this is the first place I've seen that important note made clear. It is still not quite clear - but it appears you are saying the four ride 'modes' can be rider customised and the settings remembered. So that you can, e.g., fiddle with the suspension settings for the 'Touring' mode, get what you want, then save them so that henceforth when you hit 'Touring' you'll get your custom settings.

Can you confirm? And where did the info come from - everything I've seen posted previously even from enthusiastic Ducati dealers was vague on this point.
That is the question that was posed last night to the folks from DNA, and the answer was affirmative. In the S model, front & rear(TTX!!) compression and rebound as well as rear preload are electronically adjustable, front preload remains manual. You can adjust your settings and the bike will remember your personalized settings in each of the 4 modes.

All models have DTC, ABS is optional on the standard.

Here's my caveat about the presets...I don't work for DNA and I was distracted, having multiple conversations with my similarly excited customers during the presentation. Take it as gospel once it is formally announced.

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #857
krampus
get lost

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
The bike looks kind of smaller than I expected. How tall are you?

Jim
6'1', 195lbs of fun...

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #858
mmcannava
Doc

Oddometer: 61
"They don't think that they'll even be able to place an order for one till March or April. "

I put my deposit down and my dealer said he placed his order the first day Ducati allowed it...which was 2-3 wks ago.

I hope it's smaller...the BMW to me is unnecessarily bulky...wasted space under the front fairing on my 1200GS.
mmcannava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 AM   #859
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus
6'1', 195lbs of fun...
Perfect! I am 5'8" and that would make the bike about right for me!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #860
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcannava
"They don't think that they'll even be able to place an order for one till March or April. "

I put my deposit down and my dealer said he placed his order the first day Ducati allowed it...which was 2-3 wks ago.

I hope it's smaller...the BMW to me is unnecessarily bulky...wasted space under the front fairing on my 1200GS.
Just to clarify - It's the BMW dealers that can't order an R1200GS/A till possibly March or April.

As you said, the Duc dealers have been able to order the Multis for weeks. One dealer here said that he has 10 on order already!

That's what I meant about Beemerco's marketing strategy not making any sense to me. Apparently they're being built right now, but they won't allow US dealers to place spec-ed orders for them. I just don't get the logic behind that kind of policy, especially since they've known for at least a year that Ducati was coming out with a bike that could potentially give them a lot of competition.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:15 PM   #861
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
That is the question that was posed last night to the folks from DNA, and the answer was affirmative. In the S model, front & rear(TTX!!) compression and rebound as well as rear preload are electronically adjustable, front preload remains manual. You can adjust your settings and the bike will remember your personalized settings in each of the 4 modes.

All models have DTC, ABS is optional on the standard.

Here's my caveat about the presets...I don't work for DNA and I was distracted, having multiple conversations with my similarly excited customers during the presentation. Take it as gospel once it is formally announced.
Thanks for the clarification.

First I'd heard also about the rear shock being the new TTX design. I've never ridden on one, but I believe that in theory at least, the external adjuster affects the compression damping over a much bigger range than on the traditional Ohlins models. That would help explain how they hope to get a 'touring' feel and a 'sport' feel out of the shock.

Internal revalves are supposed to be easier also ...

Makes sense the if front preload adjustment is manual. In some shots, the blue adjuster nut is visible on top each leg.

However, that contradicts some early information. This from Web Bike World, but seems to come from the Ducati press kit:

"The brand new fork technology enables spring pre-load and rebound and compression damping adjustments electronically controlled via the instrument panel. The Öhlins rear monoshock is also adjusted electronically in spring pre-load and rebound and compression damping."

Same sentence appears on other sites.

Wonder whether an electric adjuster in each leg works over a narrow range, with the manual nut there for setting a baseline.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #862
mikemcma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
What are the servicing costs?

There's no empirical evidence of what they will be. The reports are that the valve check intervals will be greater than 7500 miles, but no hard numbers are available.

For that matter, no true fuel range is available as we don't know how thirsty the engine will be.

Chain drive is a surety.

So, two of your three reasons for not considering the bike are speculative.

Personally, I'm going to wait until I have facts.
I have a monster s4r and had the valves done at 12,000 kms, roughly 7500 miles. Cost me $930. (I am in western Canada, we pay too much for everything) It took me two years to put those miles on so I'm not complaining too much.
Now, I have been spending the last several months planning to buy a 1200gs and Ducati comes out with this thing. Now what am I going to do? I love my Monster and I'm pretty sure I will love this MS. So for now I am definitely back to the drawing board.
mikemcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #863
mikemcma
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Thanks for your response. I was guessing as such but my dealer very new to Duc line and not sure of his response. BTW tho', I got information, not verified, that U.S. deliveries not until April? Of course rumors abound but anyone verify this or more likely, anyone heard the same thing?
I'm hearing the delivery date in Western Canada is April/May. So you should be getting yours in the U.S. around.....next week!
mikemcma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #864
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,104
The famous/infamous John Valk BMW/Ducati in Vanc. BC perhaps...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:07 AM   #865
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcma
I have a monster s4r and had the valves done at 12,000 kms, roughly 7500 miles. Cost me $930. (I am in western Canada, we pay too much for everything) It took me two years to put those miles on so I'm not complaining too much.
Now, I have been spending the last several months planning to buy a 1200gs and Ducati comes out with this thing. Now what am I going to do? I love my Monster and I'm pretty sure I will love this MS. So for now I am definitely back to the drawing board.
How hard could it be to do it yourself?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #866
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
How hard could it be to do it yourself?
Google "desmodronic 4 valve adjustment" and find out.

There are lots of justifiable reasons for the seemingly outrageous prices for adjusting the valves on these things. Just checking the clearances is an ENORMOUS PITA when you consider all the stuff you have to take off the bikes just to access the valve covers. The shim assortment kits alone are over $2000 USD.

This is the main reason that I decided against getting one of these bikes. That and the fact that I would be using it for mainly dirt and off road, for which I don't believe that it is very well suited. I just don't want to be riding and depending on a mega-high-tech, beautifully built, wristwatch-like machine in the grungy back country.

But that's just me, to each his own. Everybody buys their rides for different reasons and uses.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #867
Crazy Legs
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 69
Has anyone ordered the "Standard" Multistrata 1200?

I called my dealer too and after telling him my intrests he tells me the best deal is to get the touring model at a $4,000 increase. He explained the better shocks and panniers and heated grips, but 4 Grand?
Crazy Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 AM   #868
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
The valves are not much fun on most bikes, but this can be done with a little work and time. Problem is when it IS TIME to do it, you may be too busy with wanting to ride.

I have read the link on how to, and studied the display cutout 1098 at the IMS in Dallas. It is doable, just a pain to get to on the bike.

The light weight and extra HP is what I'm looking at, most of the other specs are close to what I am riding. We will wait and see how she goes.

P.S. SHE goes pretty nicely it appears in the next post!!!!

llamapacker screwed with this post 12-18-2009 at 05:48 AM
llamapacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #869
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
My wife wanted to make sure you all got the best view...
Even compared to other Ducati bike show girls, those girls are pretty damned hot.
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:16 AM   #870
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Jinbaiquerre
Even compared to other Ducati bike show girls, those girls are pretty damned hot.
Sizzling! My 21 inch monitor is warped from the heat!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote