Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 10:44 AM   #961
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I was less impressed than I expected. The bike has a few vulnerable, trip stopping parts, and is cramped. Might make a great street bike, but I doubt it is really suited for adventure riding.

Just my impression!

Jim
Jim, are you trying to say it's not really a direct competitor to the 1200GSA, 1200HP2, F800GS, 990 Adventurer, 950SE... Is this "1198 on stilts" really more of a road based adv alternative, omigod say it ain't so...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #962
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Jim, are you trying to say it's not really a direct competitor to the 1200GSA, 1200HP2, F800GS, 990 Adventurer, 950SE... Is this "1198 on stilts" really more of a road based adv alternative, omigod say it ain't so...

996DL
Depends on your skills, your willingness to take risks, and your ability to armor up the vulnerabilities.

I still think it has potential for those who do not do any serious off road riding.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #963
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I'm super pleased with what they've done from a standpoint of paved road/dirt road balance - they managed to make just about exactly what I want. If only it weren't so ugly. I agree that it looks to be a street bike, probably one that will be a bit more competent than most on poorly paved or dirt roads, but a road bike nonetheless and that suits me perfectly.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:40 AM   #964
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,815
A lot of people have described the new MTS as being ugly........ but I don't see it.
Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder & all that but anyone who thinks it ugly please explain & give an example of what a beautiful dual sport bike looks like. No razz intended just interested
Ticks all the boxes for me - except the price.

Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #965
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
I can't find a part on it that looks good. The old MTS at least looked ok if you ignored the front 1/3rd of it

The beak is just weird and it lacks any sort of unity or cohesive design. The trellis front, cast mid and plastic-looking tail sections don't really flow like the old all-trellis system did.

As for bikes that look good, the 916 is a good example of plastic done properly, the monster S2R is a great example of a clean naked bike, the honda 919 and 599 are good examples as well, the hypermotard is an ok example of a more angular and plasticy naked bike, the first Gen SV650S and TL1000S are ok examples of quirky frames and semi-fairings. I'm not crazy about the looks of the streetfighter, but its better than this. The (more exposed) trellis frame gives a bit more unified look and although still too busy its not as busy as this monstrosity.

Anyhow, like you say its all in the eyes of the beholder and in my eyes its one uninspiring bike to look at. All that said I'll probably still buy one in about a year - hopefully I'll find one that's already had some of that fugly plastic crashed off so I can set about tidying things up (not that there's a ton of potential with that goofy looking frame design).

Still, if the old MTS can be made to look like this, perhaps there's hope
http://www.kaemna.de/pic/tuning//multijokisch_025.jpg

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #966
GreeKKTiNoS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203
A lot of people have described the new MTS as being ugly........ but I don't see it.
Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder & all that but anyone who thinks it ugly please explain & give an example of what a beautiful dual sport bike looks like. No razz intended just interested
Ticks all the boxes for me - except the price.

Price in Greece
(in Euros)
15980 base
16980 ABS
19980 SPORT -SPORT TOURING
GreeKKTiNoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:23 PM   #967
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Perhaps the F800GS, but with the 1200MS base, base with abs, and the two Sport models, they're in the same ballpark as the boxer series, with their base GS and up pricing... I don't think anyone expected a 1198 based Multi, to be a budget alternative in the adv class.

Get over it, and buy one paul thompson !
Or don't bring your wallet, to the spring's demo days...

996DL
Will be testing one as soon as possible. Word has it the bike is selling well in the UK. More public interest in this than the new VFR anyway...
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #968
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,571
What's all the bullshit about its offroad ability? How many GS riders take their bikes much further off road than a well groomed forest service road? There is nothing wrong with that. When I bought my GS-Adv, I swapped the TKCs for Tourances when it was delivered. Yes, there are people who ride their GSes in conditions where they really don't belong but so do sportbike riders. Have any of you seen those photos of Shogani's K1100RS in mud that looks impassable?

What I think is almost absurd about the MTS1200 is the engine. The 1198 engine already makes an absurd amount of torque. The idea that it has been retuned to make more torque boggles my mind. If you've ever ridden a twinspark MTS1100, that is an impressive mill. I think Ducati has implemented all the electronics to keep people from looping it.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #969
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson
It's odd now that the BMW GS is now one of the "cheap" options.

Ummmmm ... throw out some numbers, Amigo. I'm not seeing any R1200GS pricing at the official website but I was thinking that an Adventure with accessories would run around 20K.

An HP2 Megamoto is $20.5K plus $1K for antilock.

I've got two older GS's and am not really in the market for an R12GS but was telling SWMBO'd tonight that the Ducati "really" wasn't that out of line compared to BMW costs.

Think she'll buy it?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #970
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

BMW
R1200GS
$14,750

BMW
R1200GS Adventure
$16,750

BMW
HP2 Megamoto
$20,520

Look at the base model, then add comparrable costs for upgrades.

Jim
Old 01-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #971
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,415
Isn't "base model BMW" synonymous to "sasquatch"?

Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #972
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
Isn't "base model BMW" synonymous to "sasquatch"?

"Unobtanium"

There aren't too many stripper GS's out there and the temptation to farkle is strong.

I suspect that the high end MS will be pretty much ready to roll for most of us and will come with bags.

We'll see.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #973
mmcannava
Doc

Oddometer: 61
JVB: What are these vulnerable, trip-stopping parts you reference? And how are they protected in the GS?

I'm eagerly awaiting selling my GS and the arrival of the MTS. Looks-wise...riding the GS I look down and see the ugly plastic and aluminum covers...over a ton of wasted space in there. Why did they make them that voluminous? To me it earns the bike true 'pig' status...wasted space.

But to each there own.

Mat
mmcannava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #974
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcannava
JVB: What are these vulnerable, trip-stopping parts you reference? And how are they protected in the GS?

I'm eagerly awaiting selling my GS and the arrival of the MTS. Looks-wise...riding the GS I look down and see the ugly plastic and aluminum covers...over a ton of wasted space in there. Why did they make them that voluminous? To me it earns the bike true 'pig' status...wasted space.

But to each there own.

Mat
First off, and most obvious, is the water pump (I assume) on the left side with the hoses going into it. One drop, not even hard, on a hard surface and you will crack the housing. Hit it hard and it will break off.

The exhaust pipe is completely exposed, as are several pices of plastic. While the GS is not 100% free if danger, these are pretty prominent on the Duc.

Jim
Old 01-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #975
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 297
Jim,
Since I haven't seen it live, would a set of crashbars solve the issues, and how would they hook at the bottom of the engine? Hepco Becker made them for Elefants, and they worked.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote