Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #1141
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
I don't really have a preference for one final drive over another (shaft vs. chain/sprockets). I've had both and will continue to do so.

Call me the optimist, but I generally enjoy and think about the pros of whichever I'm riding at the time rather than the cons.
- On the shafty: "Boy, it's nice that I didn't have to check chain tension and lube before I left this morning".
- On the sprocket-spinner: "Boy, it's nice to be able to see the condition of my chain and know it's good to go. Fun to get all the ponies out of my engine since there is less drag from the final drive. Hmm, I was thinking about gearing down. I think I'll order a rear sprocket, tonight, with 3 more teeth".

Good times all around!

In all honesty, I don't worry about failures in either system. Statistically, they are both so unlikely that I'll worry about those in "react" mode rather than "worry/over-prepair" mode. Oh, I'll do proper maintenance and carry a few extra minor parts (master link, etc.), but I'm not going to cart around an extra final drive or extra set of sprockets and chain. If I was going around the world, that would justify a higher level of planning, but not for the average U.S. ride.

Both failures are pretty rare. Yes, they might happen, but you also might puncture a radiator, have a FI or carb failure, puncture a tire and not have enough patches, tubes, tools or air to get going again, or destroy something else major in an off. All will having you walking. You can't plan for everything or you'll go out of your mind. Besides, where is the adventure in immediately being able to repair all issues including major ones? Might as well have a chase truck with a second bike in it. Ha.

I own 4 bikes right now, two chain, and two shafties. Never had a failure of any of them, and don't worry about either type. Oh, and no radiators on any of them!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 AM   #1142
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,139
don't forget the belt drive also!!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 AM   #1143
oldturtle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadx
I don't really have a preference for one final drive over another (shaft vs. chain/sprockets). I've had both and will continue to do so.

Call me the optimist, but I generally enjoy and think about the pros of whichever I'm riding at the time rather than the cons.
- On the shafty: "Boy, it's nice that I didn't have to check chain tension and lube before I left this morning".
- On the sprocket-spinner: "Boy, it's nice to be able to see the condition of my chain and know it's good to go. Fun to get all the ponies out of my engine since there is less drag from the final drive. Hmm, I was thinking about gearing down. I think I'll order a rear sprocket, tonight, with 3 more teeth".

Good times all around!

In all honesty, I don't worry about failures in either system. Statistically, they are both so unlikely that I'll worry about those in "react" mode rather than "worry/over-prepair" mode. Oh, I'll do proper maintenance and carry a few extra minor parts (master link, etc.), but I'm not going to cart around an extra final drive or extra set of sprockets and chain. If I was going around the world, that would justify a higher level of planning, but not for the average U.S. ride.

Both failures are pretty rare. Yes, they might happen, but you also might puncture a radiator, have a FI or carb failure, puncture a tire and not have enough patches, tubes, tools or air to get going again, or destroy something else major in an off. All will having you walking. You can't plan for everything or you'll go out of your mind. Besides, where is the adventure in immediately being able to repair all issues including major ones? Might as well have a chase truck with a second bike in it. Ha.
If I could believe all this then I might own an over engineered shaft drive German adventure bike. But I don't believe so I don't own. My adventure bike is chain drive for reliability and piece of mind. I have no issue with well designed, well maintained, and short travel Japanese touring bikes.
2009 Suz DR650
2011 Kaw 650Versys
oldturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #1144
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldturtle
If I could believe all this then I might own an over engineered shaft drive German adventure bike. But I don't believe so I don't own. My adventure bike is chain drive for reliability and piece of mind. I have no issue with well designed, well maintained, and short travel Japanese touring bikes.
I rode my R1200RT for 34,000 trouble free kms, it never kept me up at night, nor kept me from riding the bike anywhere I wanted to go, *but* there was always that niggle in the back of my mind, usually whenever I checked my tire pressure (weekly) and did the 3&9 and 6&12 checks of the rear wheel. Is today the day? I just don't get why Honda and Yamaha can have virtually trouble free final drives. Google "Honda ST1300 final drive failure" or "Yamaha FJR final drive failure" and see how many you get.

I couldn't care what final drive comes on a bike, just happen to have a garage full of chain driven bikes at the moment. And yes all bikes have some issue, my CBF has the usual Honda alt/reg/rec problem that has plagued Honda since Moses' time, our Triumphs like to cut out when they get wet. Yet these are easily fixed / monitored.

With the new maintenance schedule on the Multi it could be just as easy / cheap to maintain as my Honda. One thing I'll be keeping my eye on once the new Multistrada hits the streets is tire wear. Sure 150HP will be fun but if you're replacing rear tires every 3,000 miles, that will get old real quick. That's one thing I did love about my RT, it was easy on tires, I could get twice the miles out of my tires vs 3 friends who rode FJRs, and I sure didn't baby them.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #1145
Loggiebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
I couldn't care what final drive comes on a bike
I really don't either(as far as reliability)...except: With shaft drive you'd better be happy with the gear ratios because by and large they can't be changed. My GSA with the enduro trans is still geared pretty high in first but when I think that, I'm usually in a place I shouldn't be. KTM...I re-sprocketed...good to go.

Same with sport bikes. Ducati's are notoriously geared high. They'd be awful with a shaft since nearly everyone resprockets those as well. FWIW.
Loggiebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM   #1146
M0t0Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
If you got a chain drive or shaft just pay it some attention and don't wait until it fails to change it out.

Manufacture recommended service interval usually a good time to getter serviced.

Pretty simple if you ask me.

They both have there + and - es.

I am aware there are extreme cases but usually there is some human error or neglect involved if they fail earlier than the service interval.

So the the new Multi is chain, why are we talkin about shaft drives?
M0t0Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #1147
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by VS-MotoRider
If you got a chain drive or shaft just pay it some attention and don't wait until it fails to change it out.

Manufacture recommended service interval usually a good time to getter serviced.

Pretty simple if you ask me.

They both have there + and - es.

I am aware there are extreme cases but usually there is some human error or neglect involved if they fail earlier than the service interval.

So the the new Multi is chain, why are we talkin about shaft drives?
Cause it's obvious Ducati is pointing their arrow directly at the GS, so comparisons are a given.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:27 AM   #1148
ivanbubu
Lost in translation...

Oddometer: 15
It seems that the world launch of the MS 1200 will be held in Lanzarote around the 1st of March... We will then have some more informations on this bike from tester !
And I will see it again live in Zurich at the end of the week during Swiss-Moto event. I hope I can at least get on it... Not like in Milano EICMA, where you could only have a look but don't touch !!!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:09 PM   #1149
Big_John
Colorado Rider

Oddometer: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203

I have been looking at this bike for a couple of months..... But I just can't get past the 17" front. It just looks wrong. Would look so much better with a 19" front.

Oh well....nice street bike, like the newer Tiger.
Pointing the Way http://www.gracemotoadv.com
Big_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:51 PM   #1150
rdtele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
It's on now!

Ducati has announced that the first 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200 has rolled off the assembly line in Bologna, Italy. The white MTS 1200S with Öhlins suspension got the usual Ducati welcome, with champagne toasts and even a “baptizing” ceremony. The first Multistrada 1200S’s are set to be available by April of this year, while the MTS 1200 base model and ABS version should be out later in in May. - Asphalt & Rubber site, 2/16
rdtele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:51 PM   #1151
krampus
get lost

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John
I have been looking at this bike for a couple of months..... But I just can't get past the 17" front. It just looks wrong. Would look so much better with a 19" front.

Oh well....nice street bike, like the newer Tiger.
Here's a link to a short MCN article where Claudio Domenicali briefly mentions this issue...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...ve-suspension/

"I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me."
H.S. Thompson
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:45 AM   #1152
ivanbubu
Lost in translation...

Oddometer: 15
Below the link to the "baptizing" photo album of the very first MTS 1200 production bike coming out of the assembly line... !

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...&id=7178957892
Old 02-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #1153
ToniBraxton
Weeeee

Oddometer: 68
Me on my new bike

a red one:

The bike is ugly in a good way.......you will not get bored with the looks of it after a few years.
ToniBraxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:14 AM   #1154
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
I got to spend 5 minutes aboard a new MTS1200 last night. No battery or ECU, so all I could do was sit there and make noises. Nevertheless, I really did like the ergos of the bike. The reach to the bars was not long, and on me ended with me in a very slightly forward leaning position; my torso was not vertical. With the balls of my feet on the pegs, my heels rested against the passenger peg brackets. A bit strange at first but I don't think it would be an issue; it might even help to form a "position memory" for my feet.

The seat was very comfortable and cradled me nicely; plenty of bolster behind the belt as the passenger seat is considerably higher. The front of the rider's seat slopes upward well enough to stop any forward progress under braking that would end up being a nut crusher.

The particular model was a 1200S in Sport trim, color black. Personally, I thought it looked excellent in person. There was so much carbon fiber on the thing that it didn't seem to be an afterthought but rather looked integral to the bike's form. The "beak" was not as obtrusive as some of the photos would suggest.

I also spent about 45 minutes speaking with the tech accompanying the bike; he had gone to Bologna to train on the maintenance and do some riding time on the machine. The riding conditions he had were very cold and wet. For that, they used the URBAN mode of the mappings and, in his opinion, that worked very well for the conditions. ABS activation is noticeable at the levers but does not hammer the fingers with feedback.

My overall impression of the new MTS increased as a result of my being able to actually see and touch one. Can't wait until demo models are available.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #1155
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Yup. Sounds sweet.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote