Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #1246
mmcannava
Doc

Oddometer: 61
...which I will too as soon as I hop on mine. When the h*** is it gonna get here?? (I know...April...hopefully)
mmcannava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:31 PM   #1247
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,056
Here's the deal, some of us need to know how much wind protection the Multi has.. please keep us in mind and post a picture from the same angle as the picture below. Notice how you can't see the rider's legs in the pic below? I would really like to see how the MTS compares to the Yamaha 1200. thank you

Old 03-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #1248
cug

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Here's the deal, some of us need to know how much wind protection the Multi has.. please keep us in mind and post a picture from the same angle as the picture below. Notice how you can't see the rider's legs in the pic below? I would really like to see how the MTS compares to the Yamaha 1200. thank you
I'd also like to see a photo like that with the big touring screen on the Yam. I think, if they bring this bike to US anytime soon, I'd prefer it very much of the MS since it is less costly and has a shaft drive ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #1249
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,070
Thumb Bring on the effortless power wheelies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson

"...if you've got more than 4000 rpm dialed in, the bike punches forward with shocking force, instant, hard and nonchalantly lifting the front wheel."

My favourite quote of Kevin Ash's test...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #1250
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,243

Old 03-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #1251
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 295
Wind Protection

http://www.motor.nl/nieuws/11361-fot...ltistrada.html
Gadget Boy:
A couple shots of wind protection views for you in this thread.
Allen.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 AM   #1252
GB
Mod Squad

Thanks for the link And for the above video! This bike gives me serious wood. Unfortunately, in my area, most insurance companies classify Ducati's as "supersport" bikes and will not insure them. I called for an insurance quote last night and they won't insure it. I'll keep searching...

From the above video, it looks like they don't use steel braided lines for the brakes. It's been a long time since I got excited about a new bike that fits my riding passion under various conditions
Old 03-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #1253
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,243
Quote:
Thanks for the link And for the above video! This bike gives me serious wood. Unfortunately, in my area, most insurance companies classify Ducati's as "supersport" bikes and will not insure them. I called for an insurance quote last night and they won't insure it. I'll keep searching...

From the above video, it looks like they don't use steel braided lines for the brakes. It's been a long time since I got excited about a new bike that fits my riding passion under various conditions
I hadn't considered insurance rates. I've never had anything that could be considered a sport bike.

My insurance company is a hassle to get a quote from. They want a VIN before they give a quote.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #1254
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer
http://www.motor.nl/nieuws/11361-fot...ltistrada.html
Gadget Boy:
A couple shots of wind protection views for you in this thread.
Allen.
Gadget, watching that video the Multi doesn't have quite as good of protection for your legs as the Tenere.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM   #1255
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
I hadn't considered insurance rates. I've never had anything that could be considered a sport bike.

My insurance company is a hassle to get a quote from. They want a VIN before they give a quote.
We've run into that before with Jodie's Ninja 650R, our regular insurance company (house, cars) wouldn't touch any bike called a Ninja so we had to insure with their "high" risk carrier, the same company we insured our quads with. There will be a company that will insure it.

Another option is to just put liability on it. Frankly, owning several bikes I've done the math and I can right off a bike every 3-4 years and if I don't crash then I have money in my pocket. Insurance is a necessary evil but if you can self insure you'll be further ahead.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #1256
1LIFE2LIVE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Insurance Rates on the 2010 Multistrada

I just checked with Progressive and the rate is More than DOUBLE vs. my 08RT (which just went Down by 25% vs. last year).

With Progressive it is classified as "Street Sport/Supersport" which is there Highest rate. even on the Touring Model.

Guess its just another high cost of entry to own one of the sickest new bikes available .
1LIFE2LIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:20 PM   #1257
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 8,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LIFE2LIVE
I just checked with Progressive and the rate is More than DOUBLE vs. my 08RT
Does Progressive view BMW owners as "stodgy"?

Or maybe the power/weight ratio of the Ducati is double?
Old 03-03-2010, 06:28 AM   #1258
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
Does Progressive view BMW owners as "stodgy"?

Or maybe the power/weight ratio of the Ducati is double?
Price a K1300GT vs. Multi 12, The K bike has more horsepower and displacement, but insurance companies don't consider it a "supersport" bike.. I'm very interested in the Multi and when I do get to try it out, and if I like it enough to want it, the only thing that will stop me is highway robbery insurnace rates. Another call to another insurance company yesterday and the bike was not listed on their list of approved bike to insure.

I priced an 2010 RT vs. an 1100 Hypermotard and the RT was $970 and the Hyper was $1500 even though the RT costs more with all its various options. I know for some of you in the US who are paying $300 or less for full coverage, $970 is robbery, but for Ontario, it's "reasonable"...

Bottom line: Insurance is legalized extortion. First they claim rates are by rider's age and experience, well, if you have been riding a long time and have zero accidents, tickets or claims, then it's by bike displacement, and if that doesn't work to their advantage, then it's by bike value and and when you point out that a more expensive bike with a bigger engine costs less to insure, then it's "oh, it's a supersport" bike.. So, you're saying if I ride a K bike, I will not be a hooligan on it, but on a Ducati I will be doing 100 mph wheelies in rush hour? What a scam...

oh, and some local Ducati riders are paying $2 to $3K a year in insurance.. They must really like their bikes to agree to pay that much..

Sorry for the rant and mini hijack...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:08 AM   #1259
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,138
I don't think the price of the motorcycle is the main reason that will determine its insurance value. The largest slice of the cost of a motorcycle accident is the one that aggregate all the medical bills from that accident. Another layer of variables are the ones associated with the average profile of the bike rider, which will influence the statistics of accidents with that bike. Another layer of variables yet are the safety features of a bike, such as ABS, traction control.

If you buy a motorcycle that is catered for the young, fast, risk taking rider, the statistics will say that such a bike is involved in more accidents than say, a BMW 1200 GS. Although the BMW GS may be more expensive than a Ninja, it caters to a crowd that is involved in a lesser number of crashes that will require a medical junta to fix the problem. And it has ABS.

I'm sure there are other bike-related variables.

Finally, you have to account for the age of the rider, his driving/riding record, if he owns a house, has a wife and children, credit history, etc.

Plus all these variables interact with each other (some correlation and some auto-correlation may occur), which may change those numbers based on the insurance company algorithms.

Lion

Quote:
I priced an 2010 RT vs. an 1100 Hypermotard and the RT was $970 and the Hyper was $1500 even though the RT costs more with all its various options. I know for some of you in the US who are paying $300 or less for full coverage, $970 is robbery, but for Ontario, it's "reasonable"...
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #1260
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Some years ago State Farm published a list of "sport" bikes that they wouldn't insure. Among them was the BMW K100RS, but they didn't include any of the other K100 models available at the time.

Of course, I had State Farm insurance and a K100RS.

Long story short, they got so much flack over their arbitrary list of what was and wasn't a sport bike that they backed down quickly.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote