Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #1261
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
Some years ago State Farm published a list of "sport" bikes that they wouldn't insure. Among them was the BMW K100RS, but they didn't include any of the other K100 models available at the time.
I had a similar problem with Farmers Insurance; they had a black list and my ZX-11 was on it (though they were fine with my K100RT), so I had to carry different insurance for it.

Strangely enough, I now use State Farm, and they happily insure my 1098.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:46 AM   #1262
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Price a K1300GT vs. Multi 12, The K bike has more horsepower and displacement, but insurance companies don't consider it a "supersport" bike.. I'm very interested in the Multi and when I do get to try it out, and if I like it enough to want it, the only thing that will stop me is highway robbery insurnace rates. Another call to another insurance company yesterday and the bike was not listed on their list of approved bike to insure.

I priced an 2010 RT vs. an 1100 Hypermotard and the RT was $970 and the Hyper was $1500 even though the RT costs more with all its various options. I know for some of you in the US who are paying $300 or less for full coverage, $970 is robbery, but for Ontario, it's "reasonable"...

Bottom line: Insurance is legalized extortion. First they claim rates are by rider's age and experience, well, if you have been riding a long time and have zero accidents, tickets or claims, then it's by bike displacement, and if that doesn't work to their advantage, then it's by bike value and and when you point out that a more expensive bike with a bigger engine costs less to insure, then it's "oh, it's a supersport" bike.. So, you're saying if I ride a K bike, I will not be a hooligan on it, but on a Ducati I will be doing 100 mph wheelies in rush hour? What a scam...

oh, and some local Ducati riders are paying $2 to $3K a year in insurance.. They must really like their bikes to agree to pay that much..

Sorry for the rant and mini hijack...
Yep - This Ontario insurance is killing me.

I have my 999 is insured in Florida for $100....Geico

RidersPlus / Echelon won't touch it up here. State Farm will as they go strictly by displacement for liability.......so I guess it would be less that a Hrarley.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #1263
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
I don't think the price of the motorcycle is the main reason that will determine its insurance value. The largest slice of the cost of a motorcycle accident is the one that aggregate all the medical bills from that accident. Another layer of variables are the ones associated with the average profile of the bike rider, which will influence the statistics of accidents with that bike. Another layer of variables yet are the safety features of a bike, such as ABS, traction control.

If you buy a motorcycle that is catered for the young, fast, risk taking rider, the statistics will say that such a bike is involved in more accidents than say, a BMW 1200 GS. Although the BMW GS may be more expensive than a Ninja, it caters to a crowd that is involved in a lesser number of crashes that will require a medical junta to fix the problem. And it has ABS.

I'm sure there are other bike-related variables.

Finally, you have to account for the age of the rider, his driving/riding record, if he owns a house, has a wife and children, credit history, etc.

Plus all these variables interact with each other (some correlation and some auto-correlation may occur), which may change those numbers based on the insurance company algorithms.

Lion
And all that is exactly why you just carry liability because then none of the above matters. I've been driving for 32 years, back riding for 8, clean record, no accidents or tickets, have all our insurance companies discounts available applied to our cars and house, but when it comes to the bikes, I'm in total agreement with gadget on this one, it's legalized extortion.

One example: my bike, the CBF cost less than a 1/3 of my truck, both 2008 models, isn't a suspersport, comes with hard bags so it must be a touring bike, right. Costs 3 (almost 4) times as much to insure! There's something wrong with a system that makes it cheaper for me to NOT carry insurance. OK enough insurance bashing, let's get back to the bike. :-)
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #1264
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scodill
Yep - This Ontario insurance is killing me.

I have my 999 is insured in Florida for $100....Geico

RidersPlus / Echelon won't touch it up here. State Farm will as they go strictly by displacement for liability.......so I guess it would be less that a Hrarley.
Insure it in Florida and ride it back home.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #1265
JHa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Eh?

Insurance prices... Let's take an extreme example. 25 years old biker crash his bike and sits in a wheelchair rest of his life ... or even worse tied in the bed someone eating him etc.
How much that would cost, would $2.000.000 be enough?
JHa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #1266
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHa
Insurance prices... Let's take an extreme example. 25 years old biker crash his bike and sits in a wheelchair rest of his life ... or even worse tied in the bed someone eating him etc.
How much that would cost, would $2.000.000 be enough?
Most insurance policies on motorcycles have limits in the $100-300K range. That is where the payout stops. Your extreme has no validity in this arguement.

The cost of insurance is determined by actuaries who are very good at determining the break-even points on pricing. In general, these days, insurance is a pretty exact science, and competition fierce enough, that usually gouging isn't a problem, at least in the US.

I was blasted a while back for my comment that many sport bikes have a short lifespan, and don't rack up the miles, because of accidents and poor choices by their riders, and the statistics back this up. Where the problem comes in is when a bike is wrongly classified, making unreasonable rates for individual bikes.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #1267
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,733
Perhaps I did not say it clear enough: what I was saying is that liability IS the larger portion of the insurance cost. Go check your premiums, it shows how much you pay for each portion of the coverage.
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
And all that is exactly why you just carry liability because then none of the above matters. I've been driving for 32 years, back riding for 8, clean record, no accidents or tickets, have all our insurance companies discounts available applied to our cars and house, but when it comes to the bikes, I'm in total agreement with gadget on this one, it's legalized extortion.

One example: my bike, the CBF cost less than a 1/3 of my truck, both 2008 models, isn't a suspersport, comes with hard bags so it must be a touring bike, right. Costs 3 (almost 4) times as much to insure! There's something wrong with a system that makes it cheaper for me to NOT carry insurance. OK enough insurance bashing, let's get back to the bike. :-)
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #1268
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Perhaps I did not say it clear enough: what I was saying is that liability IS the larger portion of the insurance cost. Go check your premiums, it shows how much you pay for each portion of the coverage.
Lion
We really can't compare, your in the US and I'm in Canada. We can't even compare across Canada as it's different in each province. Except that Ontario and British Columbia have government insurance and we get royally screwed. We just moved from Alberta to BC last year and our insurance tripled across the board! Liability for me is $400/ 6 months, to add collision, comp, specified perils etc. it's $1200 on top of that!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #1269
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,733
You are right, insurance premiums vary from region to region, country to country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
We really can't compare, your in the US and I'm in Canada. We can't even compare across Canada as it's different in each province. Except that Ontario and British Columbia have government insurance and we get royally screwed. We just moved from Alberta to BC last year and our insurance tripled across the board! Liability for me is $400/ 6 months, to add collision, comp, specified perils etc. it's $1200 on top of that!
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #1270
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
My dealer tells me that Ducati says the Multi wont come to the US til May. He went on to say that in Ducati time, thats more like June.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #1271
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
My dealer tells me that Ducati says the Multi wont come to the US til May. He went on to say that in Ducati time, thats more like June.
My connection said April. Remember, DNA is in the S.F. Bay Area.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 AM   #1272
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,150
Rather impressive MCN test report posting on the MS1200 over at Ducati.ms

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #1273
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,850
Impressive indeed. What's not impressive is the amateur hour heated grips with external exposed wires. I hope that's not the production version.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #1274
mmcannava
Doc

Oddometer: 61
"DNA is in the S.F. Bay Area."

What does that mean?
mmcannava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #1275
bross
Where we riding to?

Quote: