Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #1351
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
the real hit, will be the multistrada 796.

hoping that next year will be the year.
Mr noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #1352
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance>
the real hit, will be the multistrada 796.

hoping that next year will be the year.
I'm thinking your math is off by 52cc and it will not be air cooled.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:26 AM   #1353
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
I'm thinking your math is off by 52cc and it will not be air cooled.
Not only that, but why would you even want an 848 version when this one already has a button to lower the engine output as it is?

The 848 is a fine engine, but it's not lighter or less expensive to produce than the 1198, its only purpose is as price support to the "bigger bike".

Though I guess it will knock a hew $k off the price and still have plenty of performance.
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 06:33 AM   #1354
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

150 ps is too much.

an 848 means:

less fuel consumption
less insurance money
less overall price
Old 03-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #1355
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
150 ps is too much.

an 848 means:

less fuel consumption
less insurance money
less overall price

And a recent interview with the Ducati chief of design or similar, he said that there WILL NOT BE a smaller version any time soon or ever. So you can scotch that rumour.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:20 AM   #1356
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger
And a recent interview with the Ducati chief of design or similar, he said that there WILL NOT BE a smaller version any time soon or ever. So you can scotch that rumour.
This has got to be one of the few times in history when somebody complains that a bike has too much power.

I guess some folks can't be satisfied no matter what. Either that or they're so used to complaining that they just do it automatically, regardless of the content. I know lots of WOMEN are like that, pretty rare among guys though.

Sheesh!
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 AM   #1357
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
Quote:
150 ps is too much.

an 848 means:

less fuel consumption
less insurance money
less overall price

Power can be reduced in ANY mode to 100 hp. So, you can manually over ride the power modes each of the 4 settings and set them to 100 instead if you think 150 is too much.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #1358
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
This has got to be one of the few times in history when somebody complains that a bike has too much power.
That's because all these years, the motorcycle factory, the only thing that was interested in, was just to produce more powerful engines.

Nothing else. The main and only aim was power.

No factory aimed in safety. Safety was a factor totally neglected. The last 2 years it seems that factories are trying to invest in the safety 'region' of technical improvements. All those years of paranoia...

Like if the target group was just speed junkies (brainless i would add). I hope those flaming idiots will stop eventually and won't produce 230-300 hp killing machines. The whole stupid dementia of hp mania should stop.

150 hp for a 190 kg machine is way too much my friend and way too dangerous. (which a regular rider won't utilize anyway)

If i want power i'll buy a 1098 or a hayabusa afterall.

Get serious.

Mr noname screwed with this post 03-16-2010 at 08:46 AM
Old 03-16-2010, 09:14 AM   #1359
kleblanc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
That's because all these years, the motorcycle factory, the only thing that was interested in, was just to produce more powerful engines.

Nothing else. The main and only aim was power.

No factory aimed in safety. Safety was a factor totally neglected. The last 2 years it seems that factories are trying to invest in the safety 'region' of technical improvements. All those years of paranoia...

Like if the target group was just speed junkies (brainless i would add). I hope those flaming idiots will stop eventually and won't produce 230-300 hp killing machines. The whole stupid dementia of hp mania should stop.

150 hp for a 190 kg machine is way too much my friend and way too dangerous. (which a regular rider won't utilize anyway)

If i want power i'll buy a 1098 or a hayabusa afterall.

Get serious.

I can never understand this argument, kinda like guns don't kill people people kill people, dood you can ride a bicycle and kill yourself, it is all in the wrist and it does not matter if it has 1000 hp or 20 hp,,it is all in the riders hands/expirence
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #1360
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Power can be reduced in ANY mode to 100 hp. So, you can manually over ride the power modes each of the 4 settings and set them to 100 instead if you think 150 is too much.
Rick, any indication if reducing power will significantly reduce fuel consumption? That could be handy on a long trip.

Seems, on second thought, that reducing power would be no different than just backing off the throttle if the idea is to save fuel.

Self control sucks!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #1361
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,550
The beauty of having an instant mileage computer on this bike (and others) is that if you're riding at 80 or 90mph, you can see exactly how much fuel you're burning.. slowing down dramatically increases your range and you can see it for yourself in the display. Ducati is claiming 47 mpg at 70 mph. Ya, self control sucks and power is intoxicating until you get nabbed for speeding.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #1362
Mr noname
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleblanc
I can never understand this argument, kinda like guns don't kill people people kill people, dood you can ride a bicycle and kill yourself, it is all in the wrist and it does not matter if it has 1000 hp or 20 hp,,it is all in the riders hands/expirence
there is not only black and white.

there are many colors between them.

this is all you understood from my post?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM   #1363
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleblanc
Yeah, but the power isn't free. The bike has to be capable of using it without falling to pieces even if the rider never uses it.

So, for example, we have Pirelli producing tyres for the Multi that are rated okay for sustained 275kmh/170mph or so. Because the bike can just about do it.

It is nice to have lots of low end and mid-range but I bet few owners will use the last 20hp at the top end of this thing more than once or twice just to try it out.

That's where BMW has used some sense with its twins - plenty of grunt from the big capacity, not so much top-end.

Tho I'll admit, a bike with more top-end than you ever want to use in practice does have a feeling of 'limitless' power that is kind of intoxicating.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:38 AM   #1364
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Rick, any indication if reducing power will significantly reduce fuel consumption? That could be handy on a long trip.

Seems, on second thought, that reducing power would be no different than just backing off the throttle if the idea is to save fuel.

Self control sucks!

Jim
Ducati said the bike will get 47 mpg at a constant 75 mph, with a 250 mile range out of a 5.3 gallon tank. That's without limiting the power.
gasgaseffinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #1365
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,532
gasgaseffinfast, I see SuperbikePlanet has posted your tech videos, a day or two after you kindly posted them on here.

Have they given any indication when they plan to post the rest of your ride report?
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote