Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #1426
nohumdrumlife
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgaseffinfast
More to come about the tech in part three - if anyone has any specific questions they want answered, please post here and I will try to cover them.
Hey Gas - Your offer inspired me to sign up after lurking for years.

Here it goes:

1) You said you sat flat footed on the bike with a 30inch inseam (regular seat) but the bike specs say seat height is 33.5. Does the MTS 1200 have some unadvertised leeway in seat height department perhaps due to the electronic suspension? Perhaps more sag in touring and less in sport mode?

2) If true wouldn't this mean the bike could be easily configured for shorter & taller riders?

3) Have you seen the larger 73-liter pannier setup? I have to decide whether the stock pannier setup would work while touring with my wife (along with the top case). Has anyone even seen pictures of the larger lidded panniers?
nohumdrumlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #1427
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohumdrumlife

Here it goes:

1) You said you sat flat footed on the bike with a 30inch inseam (regular seat) but the bike specs say seat height is 33.5. Does the MTS 1200 have some unadvertised leeway in seat height department perhaps due to the electronic suspension? Perhaps more sag in touring and less in sport mode?

2) If true wouldn't this mean the bike could be easily configured for shorter & taller riders?

3) Have you seen the larger 73-liter pannier setup? I have to decide whether the stock pannier setup would work while touring with my wife (along with the top case). Has anyone even seen pictures of the larger lidded panniers?
30" inseam doesn't mean 30" waist.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:17 PM   #1428
nohumdrumlife
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse
30" inseam doesn't mean 30" waist.
In my case I am a 30 & 30, but I was assuming that Gas was saying flatfooted without his full weight on the seat. I could be wrong.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #1429
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,473
Quote:

Here it goes:

From Kevin Duke on motorcycle.com:

"With a seat claimed to be 33.5 inches off the ground, straddling the Multistrada might be a stretch for some. My 32-inch inseam required full use of my toes to reach, so I was happy when I later sampled the one-inch-lower accessory seat ($290). It is more thinly padded than the standard seat. Observations on long-term comfort of each will have to wait until we get more seat time than we received during the press launch."
bross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #1430
nohumdrumlife
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
From Kevin Duke on motorcycle.com:

"With a seat claimed to be 33.5 inches off the ground, straddling the Multistrada might be a stretch for some. My 32-inch inseam required full use of my toes to reach, so I was happy when I later sampled the one-inch-lower accessory seat ($290). It is more thinly padded than the standard seat. Observations on long-term comfort of each will have to wait until we get more seat time than we received during the press launch."
Bross, you've perfectly illustrated the enigma that is the MTS 1200 because gas says in his review,

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and although a low seat is offered as an option, I didn't need it. I was able to put my feet flat on the ground at stops.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/...ulti-test2.htm
Old 03-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #1431
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Bross, you've perfectly illustrated the enigma that is the MTS 1200 because gas says in his review,

I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam, and although a low seat is offered as an option, I didn't need it. I was able to put my feet flat on the ground at stops.

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2010/...ulti-test2.htm
This is one of those rare instances where everyone is right

As Gelandstrasse put so bluntly (f*cker!), 30 inch inseam doesn't mean 30 inch waist. My waist is 36 at the end of summer, not at the end of winter!

I of course meant I could flat foot the bike while seated, with the suspension compressed, and the "load" setting on rider w/luggage. Kevin Duke (who is a friend) has the body of a sparrow, probably 80 pounds less than I, so yeah, he did need the low seat, because he wasn't compressing the suspension as much as I.

I will say that I've ridden GS models extensively, and owned an 04 KTM 950 ADV, and the standard Multi seat enabled me to reach the ground much easier than on either of those bikes. So if you're light in weight, and short of inseam, you might need the low seat, but if you are anywhere near or over 200 pounds and have 30" or over inseam, I think it will be manageable. I'd rather have the legroom for the 90% of the time I'm riding, than less legroom for the 10% of the time I'm stopped (with the low seat option).

Nohum, didn't see the bigger panniers, but the topcase is also an option if you're touring with the wife or need more space around town. They said it can swallow 2 full face helmets.
gasgaseffinfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:39 AM   #1432
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,199
Do we know the output or amp rating for the aux sockets. How much does this bike put out for extra stuff like heated gear?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #1433
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Do we know the output or amp rating for the aux sockets. How much does this bike put out for extra stuff like heated gear?
I believe I read somewhere that they're fused for 12 amps. I don't know if that means 12 amps each or the total for both. Not nearly enough for a full set of heated liners & gloves, socks etc.
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #1434
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker
Two 12V ports, for up to 8 amps.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #1435
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Two 12V ports, for up to 8 amps.
Heck. That's not much juice for heated gear. I wonder if there will be an aftermarket alternator that would allow for higher current draws?
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the poster and do not necessarily represent those of anyone else on this or any other forum - nor any other person from any country, planet, galaxy or universe - so don't get yer drawers in a bunch.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #1436
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpooch00
Heck. That's not much juice for heated gear. I wonder if there will be an aftermarket alternator that would allow for higher current draws?
Personally, I just wire my heated gear to the battery, so I can decide what to power up, instead of a CAN Bus doing it for me.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 PM   #1437
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Personally, I just wire my heated gear to the battery, so I can decide what to power up, instead of a CAN Bus doing it for me.
Do you know the actual output capacity of the alternators on these bikes? I'm thinking it's something like 30 amps max.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #1438
gasgaseffinfast
Ahh, f*ck it.

Quote:
Do you know the actual output capacity of the alternators on these bikes? I'm thinking it's something like 30 amps max.
Sorry man,it's one of the few numbers not in the press materials....
Old 03-20-2010, 02:56 PM   #1439
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Those of us with big enough parts to not having to compensate?

How about those of use with "bigger parts" that need the extra horsepower to accelerate the more robust mass?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #1440
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Yup. It's installed on this vehicle, in the back:

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote