Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 05:58 AM   #91
kojiro
F800GS

Oddometer: 41
BTW, Canadian owners: Does the warranty covered 2nd real key also apply to us? If so, what is the ticket number?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #92
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Outta Gas

Decided to test the accuracy of the computer yesterday. Warning light came on, said I had about 80kms to go. Was about 60 from home so I happily cruised away, watching the kms count down. Pulled up to my garage with 8kms showing and....stutter, fart, stutter, and she died. Wouldn't refire. Totally out of gas. Talk about horseshoes! Bottom line is; Read your computer with a big grain of salt. I won't let mine drop below, say, fifteen from now on.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 AM   #93
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,361
What was the total kilometres?

Bruce, bud, definitely up for a ride...
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #94
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro
BTW, Canadian owners: Does the warranty covered 2nd real key also apply to us? If so, what is the ticket number?
Koj.
Mine came with main key, plastic key and second main key. You should expect the same.
Toadride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #95
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro
Moto Vanier. Not the best dealer I've dealt with in my life, but then they're the only BMW dealer in my area...
Thanks! I'm hoping to take delivery next week from Monette Sports, who were given a warehouse delivery date of October 28 from BMW (they are one of two BMW dealers in Montreal). I tend to have bad luck with these sorts of things (lengthy delivery waiting), so we'll see...

R
Proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #96
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
Decided to test the accuracy of the computer yesterday. Warning light came on, said I had about 80kms to go. Was about 60 from home so I happily cruised away, watching the kms count down. Pulled up to my garage with 8kms showing and....stutter, fart, stutter, and she died. Wouldn't refire. Totally out of gas. Talk about horseshoes! Bottom line is; Read your computer with a big grain of salt. I won't let mine drop below, say, fifteen from now on.
This seems consistent with stuff I read on F800riders and UKGSer. Actually running out at an indicated 10-20Km left on the countdown.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:31 PM   #97
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride
I managed to run mine to 1km, but it was on the level, and I wasnt shloshing about too much....
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #98
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

October 28 is here...

I've noticed a few posters who were told an October 28 delivery date by their dealers. Well the big day is here - I gather this means arrival at the BMW Warehouse in Toronto. My dealer told me two or three more days (no news is good news), which is just as well as it's raining today and is supposed to snow tomorrow (sunny later in the week).

Anyone got any updates on this batch?

Keep telling myself: "this is a long-term purchase; a few days or even the end of one season is not such a big deal in the grand scheme of things..."

Must get a life...
Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM   #99
kojiro
F800GS

Oddometer: 41
The 28th is also a big day for me... But unlike you, I was told my bike arrived last Friday in Toronto and that I would be getting it today or yesterday. No, I didn't get it yesterday

Anyhow, it's raining here in Quebec too.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 PM   #100
zaner32
In over my head

Spoke to salesman last Friday. Update that was given was the 31st. I don't know if that means off the boat to the warehouse, or, at the dealer. I didn't get a call today and i'm out of town until tomorrow night.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #101
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbum
TKC80s are doing their job and work (very) well on road, even with our Ottawa cooler temps in morning...have only managed to get them breaking loose once on the pavement and it was at a pretty severe lean and higher speed.
Thanks a lot for all the detailed reports about the bike! Can I ask where you buy your tires and how much a set of TKC80's cost? Just curious since you're nearby.

The TKC's sound like clear winners in the dirt - how are they on road over - say - wet leaves or wet pavement (braking or in a turn)? I'm wondering about how different tires will perform if I get caught in a bit of snow (on road) riding in late fall.

Hope it's not raining so much where you are - might get snow tomorrow in mtl. Hoping for some better weather if mine actually comes in later this week.

Best,

Rick

Proton screwed with this post 10-28-2008 at 06:06 PM
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #102
beemerbum
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Updates on stuff

SQD8R - my short dirt trips have been averaging about 100 to 150kms up in our favourite area...the TKCs are working just fine, on and off road. Settings of about 32 rear and 28 front are working fine for all surfaces, even on the cold mornings in dry, wet and leave-laden surfaces, so happy with the combination.

Zaner32 - the back TKC 80 was purchased last year when the former BMW dealer was selling off some stock, so got it for half price...which I can't remember right now, I think a new one is well under 200.00. The front was ordered in new and it was about 120 or so, plus installation for both. I will likely go for a set of Karoo IIs (more $$) next time around...have them on the GSA and they work just fine. But, I think the TKCs have the edge on the road. Good picture, nice roads you are running, about the same level of stuff that I have been flogging around on

I just need to get it dirtier, right SQD8R?

Ah yes, almost forgot, the second thing I did upon sneaking back to see my half-assembled machine being prepped was to check for the number of keys...lo and behold, after fighting for a second key for four previous purchases, the F800GS comes with two real coded keys and the backup plastic...wonders never cease.

The bumble bee unit was supposed to arrive at OGC today, not sure if it did...typically takes 72 hours to get them turned around from Motorrad Canada, so most dealers in this area should have them by end of week. To buy another, or wait, that is the question?

A little snow will only bring about a bit of added caution...and heat still in the roads should see them cleared up, hopefully by Thursday, and the weekend looks decent, right now.

Cheers, Bruce
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #103
Proton
Gnarly Adventurer

Progress finally!

Called the dealer this morning. Apparently my bike arrived in Toronto this morning and should arrive in Montreal by Saturday.

Of course the service department probably does not do preps on Saturday, and the dealer is closed Monday, so it looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be the big day.

Debating whether to ask them to put the TKC80's on during prep or wait until next season. Still not sure realistically which I'll get to do more of this season: riding on roads on days when they're clear, or getting off-island to hit some trails (odds are getting slimmer by the week I'll get much time for this before real snow hits).

My dealer quoted $250 plus tax for the two TKC80's, plus $70 installation. I would probably keep the Battlewings for longer road trips.

Cheers,

Rick
Old 10-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #104
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Bike to finally arrive

All I can say is congratulations.................bastard.....:1drin k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proton
Called the dealer this morning. Apparently my bike arrived in Toronto this morning and should arrive in Montreal by Saturday.

Of course the service department probably does not do preps on Saturday, and the dealer is closed Monday, so it looks like Tuesday or Wednesday will be the big day.

Debating whether to ask them to put the TKC80's on during prep or wait until next season. Still not sure realistically which I'll get to do more of this season: riding on roads on days when they're clear, or getting off-island to hit some trails (odds are getting slimmer by the week I'll get much time for this before real snow hits).

My dealer quoted $250 plus tax for the two TKC80's, plus $70 installation. I would probably keep the Battlewings for longer road trips.

Cheers,

Rick
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM   #105
zaner32
In over my head

Congrats!! I visited my dealer this morning and he said mine should on the way to their dealership. Probably Wed, Thurs for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proton

Cheers,

Rick